Mythruna
May 17, 2024, 12:33:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Game pads...  (Read 27696 times)
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 01:36:15 PM »

Well as soon as my little pay pall issue fixes itself you have my 25, and how about this, the next good update ill throw in another 25, for every update after I can promise 5 or more. Now I cant say it can stay this way because pay pal hates mw, but I can promise you at least my 25 now, and 25 after, unless life hits me with a bus lol
lol i sense a reference there...
I think my end vision is pretty stable.  There are only a few cutting edge areas that may turn out to be impossible but there are fallback positions in all cases.  Full physics is one of those things... though I have a much better understanding of the risks now than when I started.  It used to be "is proper physics going to even be possible?"  And now it's more "how much will I have to dumb it down not to randomly explode?"

A lot of proper physics is just a short cut to avoid a longer + harder path, though.
The final game can only get better with your experiences. If things are taking too long though i may need to shell out more money so my- i mean, your dream game can be finished  Wink if i could give you my excitement for your game, i would.
I don't.  It would have to be a nearly free (for me) effort so that there is no/little risk.  One of the missing pieces was joystick support so I checked that against my priorities and discovered it would be useful for other things so I added it to my short term list.  Other things that potentially move up on the list of priorities that more directly affect Mythruna are character animation and local-only physics effects (particles effects and stuff).  The latter of which naturally leads to be closer to having networked physics also ready to go.  (Physics will probably go through about five phases before it's "done".)  And, by the way, local-only physics is useful for proper character animation.

Anyway, it's mostly a way to focus on shorter term goals because town generation + AI, done properly is long and arduous.  If my life situation were to change tomorrow, I like to know that I have some quick options for potentially quickly jump-starting full time game development... or at least knowing where those lines are.
I guess you do what you have to do to keep the ball rolling, Paul. I've played video games all my life, but i just can't see myself getting a job just on a degree and my love of video games. I'm paying attention to how you're going about this because i can easily see myself being in your shoes later, though my "plan" for now is to become an optometrist first, get some money than start doing games like this in my free time, so I want to see how you're doing it.
If you ever need any help let me know, and keep up the good balance between fun and finances  Smiley

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »

I really don't know. Do you plan on using your own custom ones? or use one naturally for computer? May I see an image of one?

An image of a gamepad?  Have you not been anywhere near a game console in the last 10 years? Smiley

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=images+gamepad

I'm not sure what "using my own custom ones" means in this instance.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »

I really don't know. Do you plan on using your own custom ones? or use one naturally for computer? May I see an image of one?

An image of a gamepad?  Have you not been anywhere near a game console in the last 10 years? Smiley

Sorry, I forgot what a gamepad was for some reason, my mind went back 10 years when you had a joy stick and a button Tongue. by "using my own custom ones" i mean will you make your own for use only for Mythruna?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:02:33 PM by unnaturallife » Logged
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 10:04:04 PM »

Sorry, I forgot what a gamepad was for some reason, my mind went back 10 years when you had a joy stick and a button Tongue. by "using my own custom ones" i mean will you make your own for use only for Mythruna?
Sorry to tell you this, But joystick+button = probably 30-35 years ago. Smiley.

My idea of gamepad usage = Blue-tooth + Wii-remote + Classic controller. My older brother tried it. It had instant input response time.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 11:55:28 PM »

Maybe I'll post another pic when the other three come on Wednesday.

Though truthfully, I have not gotten the PS3 sixaxis to work on my dev machine yet.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 01:14:09 AM »

you americans..... we call those things game controllers not pads.... hahaha

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 07:47:15 AM »

you americans..... we call those things game controllers not pads.... hahaha

I call them game controllers, too... though I suppose that isn't specific enough since any joystick is a game controller.

It's the rest of the internet that seems to call them gamepads because when I was trying to buy some that's what I had to search for.  And honestly, it bugs me that "gamepad" is underlined in red as a spelling mistake. Smiley
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 01:18:22 PM »

Those controllers look drastically like Playstation controllers, maybe version PlayStation2.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 02:30:12 PM »

Those controllers look drastically like Playstation controllers, maybe version PlayStation2.

One of them _is_ a PS3 controller.  The other two are just USB game controllers for the PC.  A lot of them are shaped this way.  XBox controllers are similar except there isn't as much to hold onto... and a lot of times one of the sticks is flattened into the controller body (which I don't like).
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »

Updated pic with all 7 test joysticks.  The top one is obviously not useful for a game like Mythruna but since I'm really fixing the joystick support in jMonkeyEngine, I needed to make sure to support it.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 01:30:54 PM »

Ah, I want to get a game controller for Mythruna (when supported), i miss controllers Sad

Like 2 months ago, we were told that we were "spoiled" with many items, so we got our PlayStation2 and Nintendo64 took away and were gave to some friends, we still have a Wii, but I don't care for it one bit.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 02:27:55 PM »

Depending on how the game looks i might use a controller. i might post a picture of it later.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »

Ah, I want to get a game controller for Mythruna (when supported), i miss controllers Sad

Like 2 months ago, we were told that we were "spoiled" with many items, so we got our PlayStation2 and Nintendo64 took away and were gave to some friends, we still have a Wii, but I don't care for it one bit.

You may be too young for it... but Resident Evil 4 on the Wii was almost worth having the console.  Scary game... good action fun.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 06:21:28 PM »

You may be too young for it... but Resident Evil 4 on the Wii was almost worth having the console.  Scary game... good action fun.

I loved that game, I played it on the PlayStation2 Smiley but it wasn't mine.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 06:23:33 PM »

I loved that game, I played it on the PlayStation2 Smiley but it wasn't mine.

Soooo much better on the Wii, I think.  The control scheme was excellent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: