Mythruna
May 06, 2024, 11:07:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which world would u go to
Pandora - 3 (37.5%)
Heaven - 1 (12.5%)
Mars - 2 (25%)
Aeon - 1 (12.5%)
Aether - 1 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 49997 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2013, 06:32:57 PM »

I don't think these abilities will be so specific and they will be based more on the probability of something good being there.  It likely won't be a homing signal for metals.  The idea is that a dwarf will be able to find the richest areas more easily than a regular player because they'll know that an area of rock is likely to produce better stuff before digging at it.

This is more useful than it sounds because:
a) most of the really cool stuff won't be obvious like a special block... it will just be part of whatever rock you are digging.
b) digging with a pick-axe will destroy things like large gems... you might see a few tiny chips of it.
c) digging with a more gentle tool will take a really long time.... so you don't really want to do that unless you have a pretty good idea where the good stuff is.  Or just have lots of time to kill.

And note, much of those are probably skills, anyway... so not every player starts out even being able to perform the necessary actions to find the good stuff.  Then they'd need the proper tools, and so on.

Also note, in the real game, even regular pick-axe to stone mining will take a lot longer than you are probably used to in "mining games"... since this isn't really a mining game.  Dirt and sand digging will be much faster than stone mining... though a pick axe will be pretty useless for sand.
ma9nu2

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2013, 02:01:46 PM »

when you mining or digging something. will the whole block disappear at once.(like in minecraft) or will it disappear in bits when you are mining/digging it?  Huh
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2013, 02:07:22 PM »

when you mining or digging something. will the whole block disappear at once.(like in minecraft) or will it disappear in bits when you are mining/digging it?  Huh

Current plan is that it will disappear in bits.  So you can start digging with a pick-axe, see a little emerald chip jump out and switch to some more fine digging tool to catch any other gems that might be there without turning them into dust.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2013, 03:20:22 PM »

Current plan is that it will disappear in bits.  So you can start digging with a pick-axe, see a little emerald chip jump out and switch to some more fine digging tool to catch any other gems that might be there without turning them into dust.
that sounds awesome. how blocks are removed was a small worry of mine, and im glad to see it, once again, under control.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
ma9nu2

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2013, 05:17:29 PM »

What are You planning to whit chopping trees?? Are You going to have it just like in mythruna is now? You need to chop it down in pices from the air? Or are You planning to change that? Like you only chop at the bottom and the tree will go down at the same time and breake in to smaller pices when it hit the ground? I know that You are working on the gravity on objects. So maby the tree will fall down to the side when chopped down. ( like in the real world) Smiley

I hope i dont Ask to  many questions :s
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2013, 05:32:05 PM »

What are You planning to whit chopping trees?? Are You going to have it just like in mythruna is now? You need to chop it down in pices from the air? Or are You planning to change that? Like you only chop at the bottom and the tree will go down at the same time and breake in to smaller pices when it hit the ground? I know that You are working on the gravity on objects. So maby the tree will fall down to the side when chopped down. ( like in the real world) Smiley

I hope i dont Ask to  many questions :s
At a later time, a tree will be animated to fall.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2013, 05:49:58 PM »

Yeah, what he said.  I plan to have them fall over if chopped down.  It will be tricky but a lot of planning has already gone into that.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2013, 07:56:56 PM »

Yeah, what he said.  I plan to have them fall over if chopped down.  It will be tricky but a lot of planning has already gone into that.
:') I got a 'what he said' ! YAY!!!
(immature moment, sorry.)
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »

Animated? I thought they were going to fall over and be a physics object.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2013, 09:39:03 PM »

Animated? I thought they were going to fall over and be a physics object.

Yeah, trees will turn into physics objects when their connection to the ground is severed.  To the extent that I can, I want to try to do it for buildings as well... at least to the point where burning building could collapse into itself.

Other things may be harder.  But in the real game the ability to generate anti-gravity isn't as novel if you can just float blocks in the air.
BigBug667

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »

I don't think these abilities will be so specific and they will be based more on the probability of something good being there.  It likely won't be a homing signal for metals.  The idea is that a dwarf will be able to find the richest areas more easily than a regular player because they'll know that an area of rock is likely to produce better stuff before digging at it.

This is more useful than it sounds because:
a) most of the really cool stuff won't be obvious like a special block... it will just be part of whatever rock you are digging.
b) digging with a pick-axe will destroy things like large gems... you might see a few tiny chips of it.
c) digging with a more gentle tool will take a really long time.... so you don't really want to do that unless you have a pretty good idea where the good stuff is.  Or just have lots of time to kill.

And note, much of those are probably skills, anyway... so not every player starts out even being able to perform the necessary actions to find the good stuff.  Then they'd need the proper tools, and so on.

Also note, in the real game, even regular pick-axe to stone mining will take a lot longer than you are probably used to in "mining games"... since this isn't really a mining game.  Dirt and sand digging will be much faster than stone mining... though a pick axe will be pretty useless for sand.

This answers my question 100%
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »

digging will still correspond to blocks correct? because if you just made a small hole everywhere, that means more polygons, meaning more GUI, meaning more lag Undecided
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »

digging will still correspond to blocks correct? because if you just made a small hole everywhere, that means more polygons, meaning more GUI, meaning more lag Undecided

It would reuse the shapes that are already there.  So if you dig out you will get a shallow slope, dig some more get a half-block, etc... something like that.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2013, 08:46:58 PM »

More polygons doesn't necessarily mean more lag. Like with the Outerra engine the world is made out of a ridiculous amount of polygons. You just need a good engine to process it.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2013, 09:03:37 PM »

More polygons doesn't necessarily mean more lag. Like with the Outerra engine the world is made out of a ridiculous amount of polygons. You just need a good engine to process it.
That is what I was leading to...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: