Mythruna
May 10, 2024, 03:06:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Terrain Classification Stage 1 Pic  (Read 7522 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:41:38 PM »

Reposting here from facebook:

I was playing around with terrain classification tonight. It's still in the early stages but kind of a neat picture. This is a map of the sq km around the familiar spawn area. The left is a plain terrain type map brightened for elevation. On the right is a red overlay where solid red indicates relatively smooth terrain and dark indicates ridges.

It's worth pulling up the full sized image. http://i.imgur.com/018Q3.png

There are about half-a-dozen uses for this data that I won't go too far into.

But... if you wanted to, say, figure out where there is a decent sized piece of flat land near water... or figure out a nice large relatively flat area in the mountains... and then wanted to figure out likely paths between them... this sort of information becomes very useful. There is one more layer of processing that has to happen before this becomes truly useful but that will have to wait for another day.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:43:15 PM by pspeed » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:56:01 PM »

That picture really gets my imagination going.

I put the spawn town and docks where they are because it looked cool at the time and it was within view line of the spawn point... but I came to realize over time that it's a totally ridiculous place for a dock.  I've long wished that I'd picked the point just to the north east.

This picture makes that really clear.  You can see that the bay is way too shallow for any serious shipping and that there is no direct on-level access to it anyway.  Where as the point to the north east comes right down to the water, has deep ocean right next to it, and provides easy land passage along the coast in either direction... even back to the original spawn town which would have made a decent fishing village, really.

Also, if you go directly north from spawn across that land to the big ocean beyond you can see a small area of land that is at sea level.  Up the cliffs from there is a larger flat area.  In the early stages of Mythruna development, I built so many castles on or near that area and had a small dock in that lower jut of land.  One of these castles was even in the very first screen shots I ever posted.  It's neat to see it show up so prominently on this picture.

The next stage will be attempting to give the application the same insights that we humans have naturally when looking at this picture.  I have a plan for this.  It's an interesting problem.  For those of you "why isn't AI smarter?" folks, try to imagine how you'd do it if you didn't already see those interesting areas to start from. Smiley

BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:13:18 PM »

Wow, it sure is coming along! Nice work.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:34:09 PM »

That pictures really cool Smiley and wow i didnt think u thought hst deeply about spawn and its whereabouts ect its cool to see how much detail you manage to put in xD

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 11:56:19 PM »

Sad Disappointment city... But still very nice pictures...
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 06:11:09 AM »

Sad Disappointment city... But still very nice pictures...

Why disappointment?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 07:03:55 AM »

That pictures really cool Smiley and wow i didnt think u thought hst deeply about spawn and its whereabouts ect its cool to see how much detail you manage to put in xD

The original spawn was picked arbitrarily to be in the middle of the original pregenerated map tile.  I got used to the area and so I kept it even after terrain generation was fully implemented.

Just to be clear, this isn't really about where spawn is located.  It's about where the random towns and cities will be located... how the roads/paths will run between them, what type of city/town it is, etc..

I just think it's interesting how one picture shows me instantly what I had to learn by experience of having built the spawn town where I did only to discover later that there were better places. Smiley
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 03:17:04 PM »

Eh... don know, just doesn't look real lifey to me  Cheesy looks like a small lagoon or something, but I suppose I want a bit much Sad.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 03:27:47 PM »

Eh... don know, just doesn't look real lifey to me  Cheesy looks like a small lagoon or something, but I suppose I want a bit much Sad.

I've done nothing to the terrain generation.  That is exactly the same spawn area we've all experienced a bunch of times... I'm just using data analysis methods against it to try to figure out where to put generated towns and roads.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 05:29:50 PM »

Here is the next phase:

Raw link: http://i.imgur.com/81EYp.jpg

Interesting but the algorithms may still need some tweaking.  I can't decide if they are doing a good job with bad terrain or just doing a less-than-good job.  I goofed around with the terrain algorithms earlier and got some interesting results but they had just as many new problems... lots more rolling spans of grass, though.  That's a hole I will not fall into right now as it could be weeks before I emerge. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: