Mythruna
May 10, 2024, 03:49:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas event?  (Read 4716 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2014, 08:02:44 PM »

Should we do something for christmas in-game? :3

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 08:13:04 PM »

That would be kind of cool.  I don't think I will be able to participate as I will be on travel but I might try.

On PS4 Minecraft, my daughter spent some time to make a Christmas tree and put some presents under it for us (a chest for each of us that we deposited gifts into).  It was kind of sweet of her.  Not quite the same things can be done in Mythruna yet.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »

That makes me wonder will NPCs in the game have holidays like Christmas based on some sort of in game calendar?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 10:12:29 PM »

They may have some harvest festival or something.  I don't know... the holidays would come pretty fast on our calendar as their years go very quickly.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 01:29:51 AM »

They may have some harvest festival or something.  I don't know... the holidays would come pretty fast on our calendar as their years go very quickly.

Well, perhaps you could have larger holidays to represent real world holidays? I know some holidays are celebrated for weeks at a time(though they're hard to look up). Perhaps some sort of astrological phenomena could signal the holidays in Mythruna? There are rare phenoms that we celebrate like eclipses and meteor showers.

For easter, perhaps breeding season for some sort of animal; cicadas mate every 17 years, for instance. I keep thinking they'd have opaline bones that could be made into stuff. They could be some sort of subterranean beast, like the mole rat or something, to justify their randomly appearing... Perhaps a smaller planet comes near to the mythruna earth, that has some sort of influence on them...

Like, for halloween another planet may align with the mythruna 'earth' and cause an eclipse for all of halloween and people would celebrate something related to the eclipse(maybe celebrating a plant or plants that only bloom during the eclipse -- used to make sweets, perhaps?)

For thanksgiving there could be a second moon that appears -- or perhaps a solar flare hitting the planet causing a geomagnetic storm. In other words, a gorgeous. warm aurora that also wreaks havok on electronics... But it's basically the sun shooting energy at the earth so having it be a REALLY big harvest festival or something may work...?

And lastly, for christmas, perhaps the planet drifts into a belt of crystal rich meteorites, and the sky glitters for a while. The npc wizards may cherish this day more than others. It certainly would be interesting if meteors hit too, but that may be a tad destructive... xD

Just some ideas. It would certainly motivate people to hop on on the holidays... and would be better than Minecraft's bs gift box chests on christmas. >.>
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:58:24 AM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »

I think it will be up to the servers to host special events.  I may release special in-game content around the holidays (in the future years) but it won't be tied to game time at all... frankly it couldn't be anyway.  Game time only passes when the game is running and its relationship to real life would also depend on when you started.  So I couldn't even line up Christmas time with "winter", for example.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 09:17:33 PM »

I think it will be up to the servers to host special events.  I may release special in-game content around the holidays (in the future years) but it won't be tied to game time at all... frankly it couldn't be anyway.  Game time only passes when the game is running and its relationship to real life would also depend on when you started.  So I couldn't even line up Christmas time with "winter", for example.

Below the equator, Christmas comes around during summertime on earth. Heck, where I'm at now they don't even use the word winter. Just dry season. Tongue

The astrological events thing makes it fairly easy to have things 'just happen'. Crystal meteors aren't things you end up marking on a calendar simply because it's not something that is expected at any particular time.

All that would need to happen is for the server/client to fetch the localtime, fade in a christmas sky setting, and drop a few meteorites.

Of course, that may just be my history with  Minecraft servers kicking in. The fact of the matter is, most servers don't and won't do anything for christmas, or any holidays for that matter. If anything, players are the only reason some servers even have a christmas tree.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:49:25 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: