Mythruna
May 06, 2024, 05:23:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple Script Engine [suggestion]  (Read 15622 times)
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2011, 06:08:57 AM »

Hey Paul,

I don't know if you have this already in mind:
(Sorry for talking about MC again) if you want to connect 2 doors to 1 button you have to do some redstone wireing what takes a lot of room.
It would be 1000% better if you could script that. So you make an activator (switch, button, hitbox, activation box (wich is not visible in the actual game only while in 'script-builder-mode'), trapwire, whatever) and tell the game what to when activated. E.g. open these 2 doors, activate the lights and play a sound. That would give you almost unlimited powers of creating locations, adventure dungeons, etc. and the best thing: no shitty visible wirestuff.
Just think of working light switches, huge towngates, trapdoors, hidden passages behind bookshelfs and whatnot.
That has to be simple to script as the builders should be able to handle that.
Have you ever used a modding tool? In the GECK (Fallout 3) you can place activators and tell them with a very basic script what to do. It would be an extremely awesome feature being able to do that in a running game! And something never done before as far as I know.

Thats different from the idea of making own commands (like your tp command) in my opinion.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:52:02 AM »

The current plan is to do this stuff without scripts but with the "magic electronics".

I also hate visible redstone... so don't worry, it won't be like that at all.  Besides, the electronics will be small components that could plug right into the door or lock or whatever.

Players should be able to make all of this stuff in game... and scripting in game is a real pain.  I used to play old text MUDs that supported that kind of thing and they were a real pain.  And that was already a text-based interface.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:54:28 AM by pspeed » Logged
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:49:50 PM »

Sounds good.
You are right, it has to be as simple as possible. As always you will have to find a way between simplicity and features.
I'm not sure how your magical plug-in devices will work. If you start concepting it please let me know, I'm very interested in that feature.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 08:33:38 AM »

Are we talking about something like lua? Because it would be great if lua was already implemented into the game, because alot of server owners use lua for other games like Gmod... and... Minecraft (There's a Server Mod)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 09:27:01 AM »

Mythruna can use any JSR-223 compatible scripting engine but the extra API goodies I've been writing have all been in Groovy.  It's a very nice scripting language especially for us Java folks.

According to google, there is a JSR-223 compatible lua binding but it uses native code so may have some overhead.  I mean, any scripting language is going to have overhead so that doesn't worry me but one of the nice things about lua on the C side is how fast it is but called from Java it's probably on relatively level footing with something like JavaScript or Groovy.

I like Groovy because I can redefine some language elements to make it easier to do certain things... ie: customize the language a little.  And because it's essentially Java otherwise it is easy for me to learn.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »

Possible to make your own script? Like lua? but call it mythcode Cheesy or something?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:47:50 PM »

Heheh... I'm not going to write my own when there is a perfectly awesome one (groovy) already written that lets me tweak it to feel like my own. Smiley
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 01:31:13 PM »

But it would be sooo much cooler that way D:
Atlas

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 02:42:42 PM »

I agree, SleeperCell, it would be REALLY awesome if Paul wrote his own script.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 02:49:16 PM »

Just wait... groovy is very powerful.  I would never in my right mind write my own scripting language these days with all of the really excellent options out there... and groovy is so customizable that I can make it feel custom anyway.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »

Flipping this around the other way...

What features would you like to see in a scripting engine?  What is your motivation behind having me write a custom one for mythruna?
Atlas

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 03:15:58 PM »

Yea, you should keep Groovy, but I'm saying that it'd be pretty awesome for the games publicity, once you want it.
And I dunno, haven't thought of that.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 04:55:17 PM »

Well, since I'm customizing the Groovy through operator overloading and clever mix-ins... perhaps when it's done we can say that it's "Mythruna-script (based on Groovy)". Smiley
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 11:24:11 PM »

erm his own scripting engine?
Let Paul use his time to implement awesome feature, not inventing the wheel a second time Wink

What I have in mind for a scripting engine is:
- npcs -> e.g. dialogs, behaviour, quests
- buttons/switches -> e.g. open door + enable lights + play music
- triggers -> e.g. player walks through a invisible box and triggers a trap like a stepwire
- commands -> teleport, rename location, chat, sell/buy stuff and so on
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 12:09:09 AM »

Yeah, I was mainly speaking syntactically.

Of your bullets, all will be possible... and hopefully some will be buildable by players in-game without scripting at all.  Of course, scripting is still an option.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: