Mythruna
May 08, 2024, 03:41:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Daily Discussion Question #40 (10/2/14)  (Read 6663 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2014, 11:30:15 PM »

Have you ever wanted to follow a diet? Did you or do you consistently follow a diet? If so, which diet? Why? (weight loss, health reasons, etc)

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 11:33:46 PM »

I'm currently following Josh Axe's healing diet... In part it's because I do have some concerns about skin health... but I have some dental issues that I want to work out without losing my teeth to a dentist. Evidently you can regenerate the dentin in your teeth even if it's deep into stage 3 of tooth decay, but it requires a very specific dietary regimen.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:35:55 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 12:43:23 AM »

I'm on a low sodium diet because of high blood pressure.  Watching my salt has had the side benefit of watching my calories such that I've lost nearly 25 pounds since I started.

myfitnesspal.com has been very helpful in keeping track of what I eat and it's heavily influenced my success so far this past 6 months or so.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 08:59:06 AM »

I'm on a low sodium diet because of high blood pressure.  Watching my salt has had the side benefit of watching my calories such that I've lost nearly 25 pounds since I started.

myfitnesspal.com has been very helpful in keeping track of what I eat and it's heavily influenced my success so far this past 6 months or so.

I'd be careful with calorie based diets. Not all calories are created equal, after all. Personally, as long as I know what I'm eating is healthy(after reading research papers on them, of course) and in good moderation, I don't worry about calories... but I'm from a long line of fried chicken and salt loving people who have low blood pressure.

That said, if bp is an issue, spinach, beans, bananas, and white potatoes are great, delicious meal choices. A square of dark chocolate a day will do you good too, and that's not even taking into account the various other benefits of the product. Avoiding canned goods is generally a good idea too... along with basically anything  in the freezer aisle that's premade. Tangents, yay!

Man, I'd make an awesome nutritionist. Noot noot!

EDIT: I've been reading up on grains and all that toxin crap... It's some nasty stuff... Also, did you know the food pyramid was actually a product of politics? It has nothing to do with good eating habits. Death by food pyramid, who'da thunk it... Sad

Also, to protect my teeth I follow up meals with non smelly cheese and sugar free chewing gum.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:29:04 AM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »

I have a diet that I'm roughly following (I think it's the DASH diet or something)... and I don't really watch the calories but watching the salt has the side effect of lowering my calorie intake.

Also, don't believe everything you read on the web.  The world is full of more "authoritative" pseudo-science than it ever was.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »

I have a diet that I'm roughly following (I think it's the DASH diet or something)... and I don't really watch the calories but watching the salt has the side effect of lowering my calorie intake.

Also, don't believe everything you read on the web.  The world is full of more "authoritative" pseudo-science than it ever was.

I follow scientific journals and university studies and question everything, but I know how to verify what I hear on the web.

-=History Lesson=-The reason why grains are at the bottom of the food pyramid is because the grain industry has the most lobbyists. The food pyramid is all about money. We've only been eating grains for a little over 30,000 years, whereas we've been eating fruits, berries, veggies, and meat for millions of years. -=History lesson End=-

If you want a more reliable source for the calorie quality argument, an article from the study's university should prove more enticing to skeptics.

Now, for grains there are a few things that I need to cite to give you the full story... First up is a news article onthe healthiness of grains. I hate citing news articles, but Huffington has pretty reliable articles. In fact, the author touched on some topics I forgot about.

If you want to get into the raw science of it, this ncbi article will touch on all the same topics.

This next article... It's accurate, but I hate having to cite stuff like this with a passion. There's a high risk of an author like himself exaggerating to promote his own agenda. It's biased, but not too extreme. This is all about phytic acid(an anti-nutrient) in nuts, but it has a handy chart of various foods and their levels of phytic acid. There are some interesting things that make the list, though anything clocking in at under 300mg/100g I wouldn't be concerned about.

There's really only one way to make grains worth eating imho, and that's through extensive genetic modification. The problem, then, though, is that we've stripped these plants of their defenses.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:17:08 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 06:38:43 PM »

-=History Lesson=-The reason why grains are at the bottom of the food pyramid is because the grain industry has the most lobbyists. The food pyramid is all about money. We've only been eating grains for a little over 30,000 years, whereas we've been eating fruits, berries, veggies, and meat for millions of years. -=History lesson End=-

Be careful of these sorts of arguments, though.  30,000 years ago life expectancy was at best half of what it is now.  And while some research is happy to note that this includes child/baby deaths and is not a good example of general 'health', it is arguable that if only the most healthy survive childhood that you are already predisposed to have longer living adults, diet or not.

Anyway, I don't doubt anything about the grain lobbies but there are plenty of agrarian societies in history that lived just fine on grains... so 'grains are evil' is not the whole picture.  And never mind the subset of the population that is essentially allergic to gluten.  For example, dairy isn't inherently bad for everyone just because many swaths people are lactose intolerant.

We'll never know for real what's up until we get all of money out of politics, anyway.  It's the cornerstone of every problem today.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 07:39:51 PM »

Anyway, I don't doubt anything about the grain lobbies but there are plenty of agrarian societies in history that lived just fine on grains... so 'grains are evil' is not the whole picture.

Well, Grains aren't completely devoid of nutrition, they're just several times more toxic and are nutritionally inferior/negative to other foods out there. Agriculture was a practice first employed about 10,000 years ago and... Well, it also marked the decline of human strength. That, and early farmers had a really hard time staving off deficiencies... On the flipside, survival of the fittest went out the window for us and the weak and genetically deficient among humans survived to adulthood.

Yay for screwing over natural selection. I think.

Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 09:59:02 AM »

I'm on a diet. A diet to gain weight. Apparently, gaining weight doesn't work when you WANT it. Just like losing weight. Tongue Poor people. Why must our lives be so complicated? (Answer: For sh--s and giggles)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 10:33:06 AM »

Douse what food you can in olive oil if you're having trouble maintaining a higher body weight. Lots of peanut butter can do the trick too, but peanuts have quite a bit of phytic acid. Most of the time, if you have a healthy diet your weight shouldn't matter. One of my best friends clocks in at just under 80 lbs. Everyone he knows can lift him up, but he's strong. Maybe not the most resilient in the face of illness... but fit as an ox otherwise
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:35:20 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: