Mythruna
May 10, 2024, 02:43:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Final stage of computer upgrading  (Read 16561 times)
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 03:20:33 PM »

ew... windows 7

Yeah, it sucks... I scream at its file explorer every day.  Stupid in a 100 ways.

But XP is already end-of-lifed... so it's days are numbered.  Win8 and Windows Vista are the abominations.  Hopefully we'll be running Linux and/or Steam boxes by the time we're forced to move to something after win7. Wink
I like the features of it, not really the graphics. Set it to windows classic and you're good to go.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 04:40:58 PM »

whats wrong with windows 7? windows 8 sucks, but 7 i felt was a decent sequal to xp.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 04:48:37 PM »

whats wrong with windows 7? windows 8 sucks, but 7 i felt was a decent sequal to xp.
It's not ugly enough for Paul Smiley

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »

It was a great sequel for vista (considering vista was crap).
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 07:37:30 PM »

I spend a lot of time in the file explorer and it's just abysmal.  Things jump around before I can click on them.  The mouse wheel never works in the window I expect it to.  There is no "parent directory" button.  I want to carve it out of the OS's heart with a spoon.  I find new ways to hate it almost every time I'm forced to open it... but the tree jumping around thing is the most annoying.  Go to click on something and the whole tree moves before you click so then you click on the wrong thing.  Then sometimes I have to click multiple times to get it to register.  Or the fun one, right-click-New->Folder... Folder... Folder, hold mouse extremely still Folder.  I said "FOLDER!"  Grr...

It's the one thing I miss from XP and that file explorer wasn't great either. (Open directory and have it take five minutes to unlock your screen because one of the next level subdirectories has a lot of files... just atrocious programming going on in there.)  But at least I could click on stuff.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 12:38:39 AM »

I spend a lot of time in the file explorer and it's just abysmal.  Things jump around before I can click on them.  The mouse wheel never works in the window I expect it to.  There is no "parent directory" button.  I want to carve it out of the OS's heart with a spoon.  I find new ways to hate it almost every time I'm forced to open it... but the tree jumping around thing is the most annoying.  Go to click on something and the whole tree moves before you click so then you click on the wrong thing.  Then sometimes I have to click multiple times to get it to register.  Or the fun one, right-click-New->Folder... Folder... Folder, hold mouse extremely still Folder.  I said "FOLDER!"  Grr...

It's the one thing I miss from XP and that file explorer wasn't great either. (Open directory and have it take five minutes to unlock your screen because one of the next level subdirectories has a lot of files... just atrocious programming going on in there.)  But at least I could click on stuff.
Sounds to me like you're dealing with OS lag. I've lived with it for so long; I almost didn't understand what you said. Hehehe... I hate the file explorer in Win7 too. It's very slow.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 05:42:29 AM »

Sounds to me like you're dealing with OS lag. I've lived with it for so long; I almost didn't understand what you said. Hehehe... I hate the file explorer in Win7 too. It's very slow.

That's weird, I don't ever seem to have lag with the explorer, the only problems that I encounter "slow loading" is when a folder is full of a lot of data, or the computer just started up.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 06:34:37 AM »

That's weird, I don't ever seem to have lag with the explorer, the only problems that I encounter "slow loading" is when a folder is full of a lot of data, or the computer just started up.

Yeah, the file explorer itself seems quite fast... it just doesn't always accept my clicks (even though the underline highlights, etc.) and the explorer tree jumps all over the place for no apparent reason other than that I guess it's loading other parts of the tree and decides it needs to lay out differently.  It's way of going about it is frustrating.
Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »

Windows XP is just... I love it out of all of the other OS choices. Windows 7 drives me insane over its lack of "permission" limiting you to doing NOTHING AT ALL because you need PERMISSION from the SYSTEM OWNER, but god forbid the system owner isn't connected to a central network of accounts. (I'M NOT A SCHOOL, WINDOWS 7) Even worse than windows 7 is windows 7 starter edition... not even going to go there.
Windows XP isn't total crap and it balances the original windows 98/2000 and windows vista feel. The shininess of vista/7 only cloaks the lack of control... but thank god its shiny.
XP
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:20:14 PM by Stickman Sham » Logged

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »

Windows XP is just... I love it out of all of the other OS choices. Windows 7 drives me insane over its lack of "permission" limiting you to doing NOTHING AT ALL because you need PERMISSION from the SYSTEM OWNER, but god forbid the system owner isn't connected to a central network of accounts. (I'M NOT A SCHOOL, WINDOWS 7) Even worse than windows 7 is windows 7 starter edition... not even going to go there.
Windows XP isn't total crap and it balances the original windows 98/2000 and windows vista feel. The shininess of vista/7 only cloaks the lack of control... but thank god its shiny.
I only see the lack of permission in vista; don't get me wrong, I love windows XP, its features are just a little out-dated for me. I want a new version of windows that is basically a power-up of windows xp (graphics and layout, not saying it isn't bad).
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »

XP
Running as an administer is the number one reason why people get viruses on Windows. If anything what you described makes Windows XP a more vulnerable operating system (Well technically it already is but lets not go there).

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 10:52:58 PM »

Of the Windows OSes, I too prefer XP.  It was a nice upgrade over 2000 and nicely sidestepped the 95/98 abominations.

Basically, it was Windows 2000 with a better driver model and cartoony window look and feel that you could turn off.

MS has accumulated a lot of cruft over the years and their internal departments are scared of fixing things.  This means that new features (like in post XP OSes) tend to be bolted on and the integration is left kind of buggy.  Yeah, it's great that my display driver can't bring down the whole OS... on the other hand, my display drivers in XP never crashed but on my Win7 box they crash several times a week some months.  On average, I'm forced to reboot my Win7 box about three times more often than my XP box.  The security features are very obtrusive and feel like they are designed more to make the user feel safe than actually BE safe.  They are still just end-running around a swiss-cheese kernel and user permission system that really hasn't changed since Windows NT.  Popping up a "Are you sure you want to run this?" message for everything only means I'm going to get used to clicking "Yes" by habit.  My guess is that that some future version of the OS will start asking you twice instead of once just to get around this "flaw".

All that being said, on XP when I'm surfing the less-safe sides of the web, I always do so in a VM.  I'm less afraid on my win7 box... though partially that's also because I have company-provided anti-virus there and I'm completely anti-virus free on my XP box (and always have been).

I'm also willing to cede that some of my Win7 hatred may be due to the company-provided image with all the corporate-mandated doohickeys installed and configured for me.  Except I don't think I can blame IT for the crap file explorer.  Just horrible.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2013, 08:23:05 AM »

I may have to agree with that statement as well.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: