Mythruna
May 11, 2024, 09:45:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Survival questions  (Read 43133 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »

Last night I got the physics engine integrated enough that I can move my avatar around with forces.  The old player control was entirely separate from the physics engine.  Now player controls exert forces to move the avatar around... though I can't jump or climb hills yet.

It turns out that 3 m/sec velocity forward is not enough to counter act the 20 m/sec fall rate when trying to walk up a 1:1 slope.  In fact, I have to play with friction, too, because if you don't move on a 1:1 slope you slide right down it.

That's kind of realistic because most of us would have trouble standing on a 45 degree slope (it's steeper than you might think) without some serious friction.  It's just not the fun kind of realistic so I need to give the player some friction. Smiley

When I add the bit of code like the current version has that auto-climbs over small/low obstacles, the slope climbing problem will take care of itself... but the sliding back down issue will have to be addressed at some point.  I may wait until I add material->material friction and see if it fixes it.  Since then we get slippery slopes too.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »

would it be harder to start by going to the town or trying to set up your own base camp?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »

would it be harder to start by going to the town or trying to set up your own base camp?

Probably way harder going out on your own.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 04:10:03 AM »

Last night I got the physics engine integrated enough that I can move my avatar around with forces.  The old player control was entirely separate from the physics engine.  Now player controls exert forces to move the avatar around... though I can't jump or climb hills yet.

It turns out that 3 m/sec velocity forward is not enough to counter act the 20 m/sec fall rate when trying to walk up a 1:1 slope.  In fact, I have to play with friction, too, because if you don't move on a 1:1 slope you slide right down it.

That's kind of realistic because most of us would have trouble standing on a 45 degree slope (it's steeper than you might think) without some serious friction.  It's just not the fun kind of realistic so I need to give the player some friction. Smiley

When I add the bit of code like the current version has that auto-climbs over small/low obstacles, the slope climbing problem will take care of itself... but the sliding back down issue will have to be addressed at some point.  I may wait until I add material->material friction and see if it fixes it.  Since then we get slippery slopes too.
i wonder if theres a way to make a gameplay element (fatigue) out of the energy you have to exert to go up a steep hill with friction? hm

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 05:33:25 AM »

i wonder if theres a way to make a gameplay element (fatigue) out of the energy you have to exert to go up a steep hill with friction? hm

There will be fatigue and I will adjust it for autoclimbing. Smiley
Drayke
Donators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 04:49:10 PM »

ok I've got a few questions Tongue you said there will be thirst and hunger. will any source of water be drinkable?? and will berries and fruits give you seeds so you can plant your own food? will crops regrow on their own or do you have to replant every time? will there be edible water plants like see weed? will there be fishing?? will we be able to create bigger items in blue print? and will there be an easier way to edit high above the ground? I know the last 2 are a bit off topic but I figured I'd ask. Tongue
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 05:59:14 PM »

ok I've got a few questions Tongue you said there will be thirst and hunger. will any source of water be drinkable?? and will berries and fruits give you seeds so you can plant your own food? will crops regrow on their own or do you have to replant every time? will there be edible water plants like see weed? will there be fishing?? will we be able to create bigger items in blue print? and will there be an easier way to edit high above the ground? I know the last 2 are a bit off topic but I figured I'd ask. Tongue

So many questions... Smiley

I think ultimately not all water will be drinkable.

re: seeds, maybe.

crops: mostly replant

edible water plants: probably.

fishing: definitely.

blueprints: no.  You will be able to create larger full-scale things like ships, though.  Objects are as big as they are going to be, though.

High editing: no... it may get harder in "game mode", in fact.
Drayke
Donators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 06:09:09 PM »

awww I wanted to make a flying island over my island XD
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »

WAIT WAIT WAIT, is this a Copy-Paste I see here?
Drayke
Donators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2013, 08:34:08 PM »

more than likely Tongue he don't have time to write out every response especially with how many topics he has going Cheesy
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »

What copy and paste?
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 10:31:49 PM »

What copy and paste?
Physics joke anyone? Hint: integrated physics

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Drayke
Donators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 10:42:24 PM »

What copy and paste?
Physics joke anyone? Hint: integrated physics
Is it gravity??? XD
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 07:10:40 AM »

more than likely Tongue he don't have time to write out every response especially with how many topics he has going Cheesy
While it's true he probably doesn't have the time, he does write out most of his answers. Tongue
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 07:14:38 AM »

While it's true he probably doesn't have the time, he does write out most of his answers. Tongue

Yeah, if I quote myself then I actually quote myself... for effect.

If I have to responses/posts that are similar otherwise then I wrote them both and just forgot what I'd written in the other or figured it was worth saying again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: