Mythruna
May 12, 2024, 10:52:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Soylent  (Read 6752 times)
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:40:51 AM »

Have any of you guys been following the development of Soylent?
It started out with Rob, a computer programmer, wanting to make food more efficient. He bought a biochemistry book, sourced some ingredients, and made a drink (I imagine something like the consistency of eggnog, but it tastes like cake batter, apparently) out of them. Lived off of that for three months to refine the recipe, got some volunteers to help him test it with different body types, and just a few days ago launched a crowdhoster campaign.

Any thoughts on this?
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:48:47 AM »

Have any of you guys been following the development of Soylent?
It started out with Rob, a computer programmer, wanting to make food more efficient. He bought a biochemistry book, sourced some ingredients, and made a drink (I imagine something like the consistency of eggnog, but it tastes like cake batter, apparently) out of them. Lived off of that for three months to refine the recipe, got some volunteers to help him test it with different body types, and just a few days ago launched a crowdhoster campaign.

Any thoughts on this?
That is pretty cool! And it could be beneficial for our society Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:16:50 AM »

Marketing-wise, he probably could have picked a better name. Smiley  Unless he's actually sourcing it from dead people, of course.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 01:00:54 PM »

perhaps this could be some kind of astronaut food or a zombie preppers emergency food supply. Either way it's cool stuff but I could never give up real food.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 01:49:33 PM »

perhaps this could be some kind of astronaut food or a zombie preppers emergency food supply. Either way it's cool stuff but I could never give up real food.
Yeah. One of the coolest things is you don't have to. Maybe you just keep a few meals' worth around in case you get really rushed. Or, more like I see myself doing, mainly eat Soylent and eat food on special occasions.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:30:16 AM »

I would like to try it myself. But wouldn't the sweet flavor get annoying? And by that, I mean after eating it so many times you don't like the taste anymore.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »

I would like to try it myself. But wouldn't the sweet flavor get annoying? And by that, I mean after eating it so many times you don't like the taste anymore.
I don't think it tastes exactly like cake, just similar. Rob did mention that when he changed the recipe to include oats (for fiber; before that, he wasn't pooping: read the "global implications" section), it toned down the sweetness, which he thought was an improvement.

If you'd like to try some, the link in the original post goes to the CrowdFunding site, where you can preorder it: $65 for a week's supply that you'll get in August. (Make sure you've bought Mythruna first. Tongue) The price will come down once they're established.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 12:36:00 AM »

I don't think it tastes exactly like cake, just similar. Rob did mention that when he changed the recipe to include oats (for fiber; before that, he wasn't pooping: read the "global implications" section), it toned down the sweetness, which he thought was an improvement.

If you'd like to try some, the link in the original post goes to the CrowdFunding site, where you can preorder it: $65 for a week's supply that you'll get in August. (Make sure you've bought Mythruna first. Tongue) The price will come down once they're established.
I did say I'd like to try some, but seeing as my parents won't want to be expecting a week's worth of food arriving at the door, and since I'm only 14 and broke...

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: