Mythruna
May 04, 2024, 05:31:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The appeal of deep underground  (Read 5135 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2016, 11:33:05 AM »

The game Terraria has an interesting element to it. Unlike minecraft and certain other games, going mining isn't something that takes you 30 seconds to return to the surface from. Depending on the map, the player may spend as much as twenty minutes climbing their way back to the surface. Personally, that slow realization that you're isolated with no immediate escape is a wonderful part of the experience

How does Mythruna want to approach that concept? Will deep, subterranean exploration require a large time investment on the way up and down, or will it follow a less intensive model? What kind of dangers would someone face in a deep Mythrunaian cave system or mine that they wouldn't face elsewhere?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:41:54 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 12:39:45 AM »

For whatever reason, in Terraria I always end up with a magic mirror before I go exploring too deep. Smiley  In one area on our family world, we dug a _deep_ pit and put water in the bottom so we could even get back down quickly.

I always felt like digging back to the surface in Minecraft was non-trivial.  Certainly easier than Terraria but it can still take a while as you break into side passages, etc..  Terraria you can see everything so it's distance without mystery.  Minecraft you have less distance but every new block you remove is potential surprise danger.
Duff_Beer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 11:39:46 PM »

well regarding dangers, cave/mine dwelling monsters might be a nice touch.
I watched a movie recently called "beneath". where a group of friends go splunkering in an underground cave system and discover some weird skinny humanoid monstrosities down there that could see in the dark and seemed interested in eating these people alive. like something out of one of those demonic possession movies.
all warped and disfigured and just ghastly looking and able to scale the walls.

maybe if your in a certain area there might be other things.. maybe hairy mountain trolls if your in the mountains lumbering around in the mines, or some sort of goblin type creature if your near some sort of swamps. all sorts of things..

plus there are more normal dangerous things people could come across like special types of deadly poisonous spiders only found in caves. maybe they slowly poison you to death, maybe they paralyze you and wrap you up in a cocoon, maybe they spit acid at you... or deadly killer snakes or whatever.. all sorts of different possibilities.

and I really enjoyed the minecraft concept of view limitations. your in a dark possibly narrow passage underground.  
not much light. your not going to be able to see very far ahead.  

very dangerous if you come to a passageway that ends in a cliff or you hit a tripwire you couldn't see in front of you and it sets off a cave in or landslide of some sort and kills you.. or you drop down an abandoned mineshaft or something.
or you accidently set off some dynamite and make huge explosions that have bad results...  
all sorts of ingenious options if you can hardly see a couple feet in front of your face.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:42:23 PM by fola_mactire » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: