Mythruna
May 14, 2024, 12:21:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Low FPS, texture res too high?  (Read 9576 times)
Budehgong
Donators

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:01:11 AM »

I've noticed frame rate on this game is pretty low, so I wondered if it would be wise to use lower resolution textures?
Maybe something more pixelated like minecraft uses?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:48:41 AM »

I've noticed frame rate on this game is pretty low, so I wondered if it would be wise to use lower resolution textures?
Maybe something more pixelated like minecraft uses?

Sorry it is not running well for you.  There are some options to put it into a lower quality mode and I hope you have found them and tried them.

I haven't optimized the engine yet.  It has little to do with texture sizes and more to do with using texture atlases.  Minecraft uses pixelated textures because that's the style it wants.

The issue is that I could spend 6 months optimizing it to run on older hardware but then that hardware is even older and I still wouldn't have a game.  On my two year old computer, I get 160-200 FPS mostly.  So I will get the game done first, get it to alpha, and then try to make it work on the lower end cards a little better.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:32:03 AM »

Also, Minecraft doesn't use atlases anymore. The textures are all seperate files like yours.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »

Also, Minecraft doesn't use atlases anymore. The textures are all seperate files like yours.

Don't the atlases allow the images to load faster? since it is loading one file, and not a whole bunch, then just locating the targeted block image.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »

It's not about loading.  It's about texture switching on the graphics card and texture memory.

Minecraft may have separate files now but I bet it still creates an atlas at runtime from the separate files.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 03:27:55 PM »

It's not about loading.  It's about texture switching on the graphics card and texture memory.

Minecraft may have separate files now but I bet it still creates an atlas at runtime from the separate files.
Doubt it as I can now see lines in between every block while playing instead of like before where there wasn't. (The lines are blue-white like the fog in it, so think of it as a cut on the edges of the blocks where they are connected to other blocks)

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »

Doubt it as I can now see lines in between every block while playing instead of like before where there wasn't. (The lines are blue-white like the fog in it, so think of it as a cut on the edges of the blocks where they are connected to other blocks)

Has nothing to do with the textures.  It's a geometry problem.

There is no real reason not to use a texture atlas in Minecraft's case.  They'd be stupid not to.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 03:46:23 PM »

There is no real reason not to use a texture atlas in Minecraft's case.  They'd be stupid not to.
Well, since it has to access a jar to look up the textures and the textures (I've seen them) are seperate files I can only assume. And knowing I can't change anything inside of the jar while the game is running or have seen any creation of an atlas then blah. And also knowing that texture packs people make aren't compatible with Minecraft

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 04:52:30 PM »

Well, since it has to access a jar to look up the textures and the textures (I've seen them) are seperate files I can only assume. And knowing I can't change anything inside of the jar while the game is running or have seen any creation of an atlas then blah. And also knowing that texture packs people make aren't compatible with Minecraft

You can create texture atlases at runtime on the fly... in the memory of the computer.  It's done all the time.  Mythruna will do it eventually, too.  It's a big performance boost and simply makes good sense when it's possible to do it.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 05:49:31 PM »

When that happens will the images be cut, not just being skewed?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 05:52:08 PM »

It will look exactly as it does now.

There is no visual difference between texture atlases and no texture atlases.  It's just more code.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »

There is no visual difference between texture atlases and no texture atlases.  It's just more code.
Oh sorry, i forgot to mention that that post was meant for like the slopes and the slabs.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 08:26:23 PM »

Oh sorry, i forgot to mention that that post was meant for like the slopes and the slabs.

Some of the textures are already cut.  Some are skewed.  I decided it on a case by case basis for various reasons.  With the slabs, it's mostly so that the edges still line up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: