Mythruna
May 07, 2024, 02:49:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: DOS-style attack...  (Read 14913 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2011, 03:15:20 AM »

Just had a sort of Denial of Service style attack on the public server.  Random blocks placed everywhere...

The server is offline for a minute while I back up the world and then restore the snapshot.  I could just restore the snapshot but I wanted to do a full backup first.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 03:23:52 AM »

Note: if you made block changes after 1:00 AM or so (I think) then they will have been reverted as that's when the snapshot was last marked.

I apologize if that happened to anyone but the damage was too widespread and random to spot clean.  If you lost a lot of work then I can spot restore it for you.
Atlas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 08:07:25 AM »

:/ That must've sucked.
But I didn't get time to do anything recently on the server, so I should be fine.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 12:48:26 PM »

Yeah, it was just one of those things... glancing at the server and seeing the logs fly by... "Whoah!"

It pointed out two things this client was exploiting that I plan to clamp down in the future... so at least there is that.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 06:47:35 PM »

Can't you add a realistic movement function? that doesn't allow clients to move out of line?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 06:55:55 PM »

Eventually all of that stuff will be there.  You won't be able to change blocks farther away than x meters from your location and you won't be able to move faster than x m/sec.  The first is pointless without the second and the second gets implemented with real physics.
gametoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 02:30:40 AM »

Griefers must be sad sad people...
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 01:08:33 PM »

Tru dat, Whats the priority of physics, Like RIGHT NOW... THIS SECOND?!
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 02:37:21 PM »

Tru dat, Whats the priority of physics, Like RIGHT NOW... THIS SECOND?!

Heheh.  Something like that.  Even after this "property system" release (probably tonight or tomorrow) then I will have some more property stuff to finish but on the side I will start easing physics back into my coding efforts.  I will definitely post more videos if I make headway.
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 07:25:03 AM »

I dont get it that ppl have fun spamming around the server or here or whatever. Waste of time.

Your physics video was not as bad as you pretend Wink
Of course there were some bugs but movement of objects etc. looked really well. So I'm curious to watch some videos  Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:18:27 AM »

I dont get it that ppl have fun spamming around the server or here or whatever. Waste of time.

Your physics video was not as bad as you pretend Wink
Of course there were some bugs but movement of objects etc. looked really well. So I'm curious to watch some videos  Wink

Fair enough. Smiley  I still find chairs and things in random places on my test world. Smiley

When I get some minor kinks worked out, I may at least enable it for object to world collisions.  It's the object to object collisions where things get really unstable but it would be good to start finalizing some of the other parts.

I also need to spend some good time rethinking object attachments... specifically I need to think about the larger object -> player and the player -> hand-held object attachments.  There are a few dozen things that rely on those aspects pretty critically and it's something I can't cheat on.  (For example, door hinges can be cheated if real physics attachments turn out to be too unstable.)
Freejack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 06:42:45 PM »

Well I guess you can put this guy in the Forest Gump category of "Stupid is as Stupid does!" Real genius to be a complete idiot. I could understand if they did it then reported they could do it and then cleaned up so Paul didn't have too. Now that would show some intelligence and ability to help. I think the coolest part of this world is the user can build it and interact with it, along with the NPC's and other features not yet implemented. Paul needs a a jail for the ones doing this, one they can't break out of and can be on public display for being jailed.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 06:57:30 PM »

Heheh, yeah.  They gummed up the oceans too.  I made myself a clean-up tool and went around cleaning up the doo-doo from the oceans today.  Apparently that happened before the backup I restored from.

BTW, I think someone claimed the black skyscraper as their property... though they weren't the original creator either.  If memory serves, you were the one who had taken it over.
Freejack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 11:45:38 AM »

Yep I was, I created the parking garage too..... lol. Haven't had time ot get on lately last night got the updates so I should be able to log in this weekend.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 12:11:08 PM »

Yep I was, I created the parking garage too..... lol. Haven't had time ot get on lately last night got the updates so I should be able to log in this weekend.

Yeah, I need to give myself an admin tool to revoke properties so that you can get it back.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: