Mythruna
May 09, 2024, 04:49:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cultural buildings...  (Read 6792 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2015, 08:26:24 PM »

So I was listening to the Bastion OST(the best OST I've ever heard), and it got me thinking, what kind of cultures will be emulated? Can I expect to see a desert city with the Taj Mahol in the center? Will there be cities whose' centerpieces can be likened to the panthenon? etc, etc...

I know there are the seven races and 7 building styles, but... Certainly you're not going to see a big stone castle in an ocean of sand just because humans live there.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:44:37 PM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 08:47:01 PM »

Different cultures will have different architectures... and different climates/land types will have different architectures.

That's about all I can say at this point, really.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 09:34:05 PM »

That's about all I can say at this point, really.

That's all I needed to hear. :3

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 10:02:04 PM »

Cool.  It's not that I'm being secretive it's just that specifics will have to work themselves out later.

I strongly want cities to be based on indigenous material.  The reasons the Romans/Greeks built the way they did was because of the material (marble) available to them.  The reason the Egyptians built the way they did was because of sandstone... which is why they tended to have buildings with a ton of columns internally and largely why the pyramids are pyramids.

So, the fact that I haven't figured out how such stone as marble, granite, etc. will be allocated throughout the land and what an NPC-run quarry will even look like, exactly, it's hard to say how far I can take that.

I will say that I've designed several different 'hovel' level houses based on land types and real world examples from the past.  From half buried-in-sand sort of small yurts to many of the huts and thatched cottages you've already seen.  Using sand instead of sandstone, I've also prototyped some desert city architectures, too.  Someone on the Mythruna server even had some cool shaped stone doorways that I will appropriate for desert style large gateways.

In fact, the only architecture that I still haven't found a handful of useful techniques for is medieval city architecture, ironically.  I mean, I have the standard "waddle and daub" stuff but that is more of a village thing to me at this point.  Sure cities will be filled with it but I still struggle to come up with a stone-and-mortar based house/building that I like.  I have some ideas on things I can do with some new block types, though... and maybe I can finally retire the current stone brick material for something more appropriate.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 12:30:54 AM »

Cool.  It's not that I'm being secretive it's just that specifics will have to work themselves out later.

I strongly want cities to be based on indigenous material.  The reasons the Romans/Greeks built the way they did was because of the material (marble) available to them.  The reason the Egyptians built the way they did was because of sandstone... which is why they tended to have buildings with a ton of columns internally and largely why the pyramids are pyramids.

So, the fact that I haven't figured out how such stone as marble, granite, etc. will be allocated throughout the land and what an NPC-run quarry will even look like, exactly, it's hard to say how far I can take that.

I will say that I've designed several different 'hovel' level houses based on land types and real world examples from the past.  From half buried-in-sand sort of small yurts to many of the huts and thatched cottages you've already seen.  Using sand instead of sandstone, I've also prototyped some desert city architectures, too.  Someone on the Mythruna server even had some cool shaped stone doorways that I will appropriate for desert style large gateways.

In fact, the only architecture that I still haven't found a handful of useful techniques for is medieval city architecture, ironically.  I mean, I have the standard "waddle and daub" stuff but that is more of a village thing to me at this point.  Sure cities will be filled with it but I still struggle to come up with a stone-and-mortar based house/building that I like.  I have some ideas on things I can do with some new block types, though... and maybe I can finally retire the current stone brick material for something more appropriate.

Stone bricks weren't all there was. There's a pub in N'Orleans that's about 300 years old and is still standing. It's made of clay bricks, but clay bricks are far older than just that. Look up some of the older European buildings. The 17th century wasn't all castles and daub.

... It's just that alot of residential brick buildings fell apart, so we don't talk about that. It's the little secret historians are ashamed to talk about. (Germany, on the other hand...)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:48:26 AM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 12:52:25 AM »

Yes, I know about bricks.  The Romans were using clay-fired bricks for a long time.

The issue is that the standard red brick _looks_ too modern for my tastes.  You see it and you immediately wonder where the fire escape and the dumpster are.

So I will go with something else.  I want to have some stone brick corners stitched into whitewashed brick and stuff.  We'll see.  I have some ideas but I've forbidden myself from playing with materials for a while.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 12:55:01 AM »

Yes, I know about bricks.  The Romans were using clay-fired bricks for a long time.

The issue is that the standard red brick _looks_ too modern for my tastes.  You see it and you immediately wonder where the fire escape and the dumpster are.

So I will go with something else.  I want to have some stone brick corners stitched into whitewashed brick and stuff.  We'll see.  I have some ideas but I've forbidden myself from playing with materials for a while.

A brick by any other name is just as not red.

"pink coloured bricks are the result of a high iron content, white or yellow bricks have a higher lime content. Most bricks burn to various red hues; as the temperature is increased the colour moves through dark red, purple and then to brown or grey at around 1,300 °C (2,372 °F). Calcium silicate bricks have a wider range of shades and colours, depending on the colourants used. The names of bricks may reflect their origin and colour, such as London stock brick and Cambridgeshire White."

London has nice bricks.

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 01:10:22 AM »

Maybe bricks should just have a color value. There are SO many variations of clay bricks out there that it may be better to just create a spectrum of realistic brick colors and let people figure out how to make their bricks that way.

... And by extension it would make your clay bricks infinitely better than Minecraft's, not that you're in competition. Only being able to make red bricks is infuriating,
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:21:38 AM by Rayblon » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 02:33:24 AM »

Colors like you are talking about are part of the block type.  Each shape is also part of the block type.  The combinatorial explosion adds up pretty fast.  It's why I plan to try to do colored blocks more as add-on paint instead of part of the blocks.  Sort of like another lighting layer but not really.
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 02:59:34 AM »

It's why I plan to try to do colored blocks more as add-on paint instead of part of the blocks.

This was what I was trying to suggest, sort of... I'm just bad at explaining things sometimes, lol.

Will this paint be available for everything? I'd love some blood grass. xD
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:36:50 AM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: