Mythruna
May 14, 2024, 08:23:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Discussion #17 (6/4/15)  (Read 3100 times)
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2015, 08:00:36 AM »

Lately, my cats have been cuddling with me... alot. Excessively so; more than during the winter months, even...

What is this phenomena? Despite there being no clear advantage to cuddling in the middle of summer... we do it, cats do it, and a bunch of other creatures do it too. I had pondered the possibility of there being some sense of security provided by this contact, but my cats have never known a threat greater than jingling keys and a vacuum cleaner; for all intents and purposes, their lives have been lived in security. Even (mostly smaller) reptiles are suspected to engage in this activity...

What are your thoughts on the phenomena known as "cuddling'? Why do you think we, and many other animals cuddle?

Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:30:27 AM »

My cats like to sleep on my arm, in the most ungainly positions. It doesn't look comfortable at all half the time, but they do it anyway. Considering the relationship I've built with my cats, it's a little unsurprising that they gravitate towards me. I give them the most attention out of anyone in the whole house, and that brought with it the consequence of my room constantly being populated by our resident felines.

It's obvious that they enjoy my affection and are deeply influenced by me, as well. The cat I've cared for the longest even seems to make direct eye contact with me when he wants to get attention or convey something(usually a demand). The interesting thing is, eye contact is said to be taboo for felines, and he doesn't make eye contact with anyone else. Cuddling could simply be a sign of trust, in this interpretation.

From an evolutionary standpoint... other than the benefit of an animal's young having a natural inclination to stay close to their parent(s), I can only see the social implications of it. If this kind of contact is a form of bonding, then it may be an important social mechanism... power in numbers.

This novelty of the animal kingdom is something that is quite enjoyable to investigate and indulge in. Though most evidence surrounding this phenomena is anecdotal, I'm inclined to believe that there is a greater meaning to this activity than most may be inclined to believe in terms of non-human animals.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: