Mythruna
May 06, 2024, 12:30:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much do you think Mythruna should cost?  (Read 15675 times)
TheeeVoid

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2012, 07:38:38 PM »

Hello,

I am a big Mythruna fan, i am currently working on a huge build, but lets get to the point, how much do you think Mythruna should cost i think it should cost about $10 in alpha/beta stage and $25 in full stage.  What do you people think Mythruna should cost?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 11:13:48 PM »

This is a complicated discussion.  It gets stranger still because when the dollars don't matter, people will say one thing and then do another.

I will share some of my own thoughts on this subject because I think it's important.  Hopefully I don't offend anyone or touch off any alarms.  Money is a touchy subject.

First, I'm not looking to make Minecraft-millions.  Certainly that would be nice but I'd be much happier with a long term sustainable income that would let me work full time on the game.  (That being said, when you factor in the stage of life I'm in [wife plus two kids] and risk factors, this amount might be more than you think.)  I don't need to be flying a jet all over the country.  I'm not that fond of traveling and really I'd rather be writing code. Smiley

Along those lines, I would nearly give the game away if I could find another way to earn revenue from the game.  For example, if for some reason the modding community really takes off then I'd like to offer a sort of "app store" for modders to give away or sell their mods.  If they are selling their mods then they can take advantage of whatever basic copy protection scheme gets built into Mythruna, they get to list in my store, and the store would take a small cut of that mods sales.   And if you want to run your own server and charge your players, I will help facilitate that too, if you like... one time fees, subscriptions. or whatever.  All hooked into the mythruna.com server listing service and player accounts.  (I will also be willing to license the engine itself for "total conversion" style devs but I don't know if there would be interest anyway.)

If all of that brings in lots of revenue then it will lower the price of the game.

There has to always be some transaction cost in this case because what I'm really selling are "accounts".  If accounts were free then everyone would have one (spammers and phishers included) and they become nearly worthless while still costing me money in database space, server usage, etc... small amounts but not zero.  Given this and other factors... and the size of the ultimate game, I would probably never sell it for less than around $5.  Perhaps with bundling options, etc. for add-ons as described above.   Who knows.  It's dependent on a thriving community anyway... and that community would probably like to know that the shoppers have at least a certain amount of buying power.  $5 seems reasonable as a minimum.

However, it is also a likely scenario to consider that most mods might be given away by the players or the community never achieves critical mass or whatever.  In that case, I need to focus on the raw game price.

I waffle on this one all the time.  One day I will be in the same mindset you are and on another day I'll be thinking $15 flat rate indefinitely.  The truth is that good business would be to charge whatever the market will bear.  It's just hard to figure out what that is... especially since I'd be happy earning a comfortable living doing what I love to do.

At any rate, soon early adopters will get to pick their level of faith and interest monetarily.  I will be setting up a store for people who want to buy in at different prices for whatever reason.  Some players really want to support the game and feel like they are a special part of what makes it a success.

Some time in the next few weeks (I hope) I will open up the store for players who want to pay now (rather than wait until alpha when everyone has to pay).  This is also sort of a grace period where you can get the full client license for a discount rate that will go up when the game hits alpha.  Players who pay more than required will get special thank you gifts at different points in the game's release cycle.

(Note: the game continues to be free to play during the pre-alpha period.  These are optional purchases.)

(Note also: the following are just examples and may move around a little, ie: are subject to change.)

An example set of options would be like:
Level 1) $5: gets you a player account on Mythruna.com (so you can login to any server with that account), access to a private players-only group on the forum, and $10 off the game when it hits alpha.
Level 2) $10: a player account, group access, and full client license when the game hits alpha (saves $5 if the alpha sells for $15)
Level 3) $15: all of the above plus some other little thing... stickers or something.  Or a "registered server" account (more on that another time).
Level 4) $50: all of the above plus access to a private group for high-donators and your name in the game credits
Level 5) $100: above plus get to help name and contribute to the design of one of the NPCs that will appear in the town/city near spawn... and associated game credit.  For example, you could have you or your character as permanent residents of everyone's game.
Level 6) $150: above plus a signed and numbered full-color hard-back version of the "Creatures and Races of Mythruna" book that I plan to produce.  (This book will only sell in paperback form when released on Amazon.)

I may juggle those around a little and I have a few more ideas I'm still toying with.  But for example, the level 3 option me be more appropriately at $20 or whatever.  I'm also entirely open to adding additional levels in the gaps if some player wants to pay X but there is no option for that.  And if for some strange reason a hundred people sign up to get to put an NPC in spawn town then I have to start cutting that off or making it more expensive.  It's all fluid in that respect.  I can't have 1000 custom NPCs running around spawn town. Smiley

So in the end, the early adopters and true believers will get to vote with their dollars on what they feel the game is worth... and get a little something extra for the trouble.

Thanks for reading this far.  I hopefully I haven't stirred up trouble.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 11:59:05 PM »

so your saying that if i pay enough you will name the king of mythruna FutureBound? bahahhahahaha but i like what your doing with the levels n prices :]

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 12:07:44 AM »

so your saying that if i pay enough you will name the king of mythruna FutureBound? bahahhahahaha but i like what your doing with the levels n prices :]

Yes... if you pay "enough". Smiley

Thanks for the 'like'.  These conversations always make me extremely nervous so the reassurance is nice. Smiley
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 01:14:47 AM »

Great ideas... I would most likely pay up to $20 right now... But only because I hope for a TRUE RPG game like dwarfortress in 3D, and I'm quite sure I can go donate/pay up to $50. Keep up the good work Cheesy
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:36:34 AM »

Hard question and an early stage to discuss that. Thanks a lot for pointing it out so clearly!
I just want to add one point, please Paul don't think of a monthly fee for your game. I don't like these concepts at all as you never know if you have time to play the game or not.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »

Hard question and an early stage to discuss that. Thanks a lot for pointing it out so clearly!
I just want to add one point, please Paul don't think of a monthly fee for your game. I don't like these concepts at all as you never know if you have time to play the game or not.

Agreed.
TheeeVoid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »

i would pay $150 for the best game in the world
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 10:50:09 AM »

i would pay $150 for the best game in the world

LOL.  Heheh.

True story: my wife payed about that much for Star Wars: The Old Republic for me for Christmas.  Some collectors edition or something.

...I had her take it back.  Not so much because of the price but because I told her if she values me as a husband and father then that game probably shouldn't be in the house. Smiley  Not to mention Mythruna development would have ground to a halt.
TheeeVoid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 11:02:23 AM »

LOL, im not into mmorpg's that much (kinda boring)
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 01:17:25 PM »

Haha! We have Star wars: The old Republic. It's broken now... Pretty old. Didn't cost that much Tongue. Hrmm... So you are also aware of pirating I'm guessing? Or the possibility of someone hacking a person who donated 150 dollars? Hahaha.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 01:33:49 PM »

Haha! We have Star wars: The old Republic. It's broken now... Pretty old. Didn't cost that much Tongue. Hrmm... So you are also aware of pirating I'm guessing? Or the possibility of someone hacking a person who donated 150 dollars? Hahaha.

I think you're confused.

Star Wars; Knights of the old Republic is an old bioware RPG from around 2003.

Star Wars; The Old Republic is a bioware MMORPG that just came out.

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
I have a skin, a potato has a skin, therefore, I'm God
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »

...I had her take it back.  Not so much because of the price but because I told her if she values me as a husband and father then that game probably shouldn't be in the house. Smiley  Not to mention Mythruna development would have ground to a halt.

Good man.

I'd maybe pay up to $50, but it depends on the rewards.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »

Good man.

I'd maybe pay up to $50, but it depends on the rewards.

So far the above list is pretty accurate.  I've moved the $15 level to probably $20 or $25 and the $50 level will also note that it will include early access to some releases and content... that would be one of the points of that private group.

Otherwise, I think the list is pretty good.  I'll just formalize it and pretty it up a little for the site.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: