Mythruna
May 12, 2024, 07:26:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a few issues  (Read 18923 times)
Ghelmaron
Donators

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »

I understand that Mythruna is still in pre-alpha phase and with that in mind I am inquiring if the following is due to game limits or if they have a possible solution:

1) During certain times of the day (in game) light colored objects such as white marble and sand become blindingly bright, as if the block itself looks like it is radiating light like the sun. Is this something that I can change in my settings somewhere?

2) After exploring for 10-15 minutes or so, my memory reaches 99% and my frame rate drops to 1 rendering the game unplayable until exit/restart. Is this to be expected? If I stay mainly in one area (eg I am building something) the memory hovers around 75% and I have no problem.

Thanks in advance.
randomprofile
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 01:32:42 PM »

Well... I know the lighting is supposed to be like that, cause Paul hasn't worked on it that much yet. But for the memory issue you're gonna have to wait for Paul to come on, cause I haven't the slightest clue.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »

Yea I was building my observatory today and around mid-day the tops of the blocks where REALLY bright. Press F9 during this time to stop post-processing from being that bright. Press F9 a second time to turn it back on.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 02:30:15 PM »

The brightness is actually carefully tuned to produce nice photos.  In real life, sand and marble really do glow like that but our eyes and brains automatically adjust... but I guarantee you if you stared directly at a sandy beach at noon for very long that you will go blind for a while.  The game cannot easily simulate this effect though I'd really like to. Smiley

re: the memory... it sounds almost like you aren't running with the right memory settings or you have your clip maxed out.

What platform are you running on?
Ghelmaron
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:52:15 AM »

Quote from: pspeed

re: the memory... it sounds almost like you aren't running with the right memory settings or you have your clip maxed out.

What platform are you running on?

Windows XP

Using F9 helped with the brightness situation. Regarding the memory, this happened yesterday:

I was building my house and was playing for about an hour with no problems. Taking a break from building I swam across the bay to the land on the other side. Upon reaching the shore my memory ( which shows in the lower right corner of the screen) went up to 98-99% and, although my frame rate was between 20 and 40 my game stuttered horribly. Like every two seconds the game locked for 1 second.  Exited and restarted the game and it was good again.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »

That's called land generation. It's trying to grab materials/faces of blocks and generate them, since Paul isn't using an atlas it takes up more memory to load it, and more costly in performance.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04:09 AM »

No, his memory was maxed out and so garbage collection was being more aggressive and I found a "bug" in JME that makes that situation 100x worse.

I have fixed the bug in JME and the next version of Mythruna should run much cleaner in these cases.  Still, a fully maxed out memory will cause occasional pauses.

Were you at default clip or max clip?  When I play on XP, I can wander far and wide on the default clip and my mem rarely goes above 70% or so.

P.S.: So glad I added that indicator... a real report is so much better than the "I get random stutters" reports that I used to get. Smiley
Ghelmaron
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:38:38 PM »

Okay, here is some more information. First off, ignore what I said about the FPS dropping to 1. During the course of my test, the FPS indicator on the HUD varied from 20 to 300, but did not drop to 1.

I went walking around exploring (at 64m clip) and kept an eye on my the Mem: readout.

-For the most part my Mem: was around 70-85%.
-I dug a small cave and entered and then started spinning and clicking (deleting blocks), just sporadically. With this flurry of movement and block deleting, my Mem: would keep increasing 1% at a time until it hit 95%. Then, the game would stall for a second and the mem: would drop down to 75%.
-I kept walking and exploring.
-After about 3 more minutes, my Mem: reached 99%. It wavered between 96% and 99% and would never go down again, resulting in the 2sec/1sec stuttering I described earlier, even if I just stood still and did nothing.

Paul, if this is something that would give you additional grief to look into, don't worry about it. If this is something that would assist you, let me know if there is something specific you want me to do/try.

FYI, My system info is: AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor, 3.4 GB RAM, NVidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti video card
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »

Okay, here is some more information. First off, ignore what I said about the FPS dropping to 1. During the course of my test, the FPS indicator on the HUD varied from 20 to 300, but did not drop to 1.

I went walking around exploring (at 64m clip) and kept an eye on my the Mem: readout.

-For the most part my Mem: was around 70-85%.
-I dug a small cave and entered and then started spinning and clicking (deleting blocks), just sporadically. With this flurry of movement and block deleting, my Mem: would keep increasing 1% at a time until it hit 95%. Then, the game would stall for a second and the mem: would drop down to 75%.
-I kept walking and exploring.
-After about 3 more minutes, my Mem: reached 99%. It wavered between 96% and 99% and would never go down again, resulting in the 2sec/1sec stuttering I described earlier, even if I just stood still and did nothing.

Paul, if this is something that would give you additional grief to look into, don't worry about it. If this is something that would assist you, let me know if there is something specific you want me to do/try.

FYI, My system info is: AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor, 3.4 GB RAM, NVidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti video card

The maxing out part sounds really odd.  The freezing is a known issue that should be fixed in the next release.

In the chat bar, you can run a /mem command that will give you more details about the available memory than just a percentage.  If the max total memory on the far right of that output is less than 512 meg then the app isn't picking up your memory settings.

Last night on the server I worked a HUGE cavern and deleted many thousands of blocks over the course of many hours and never had memory stay 99% for more than a second.  So hopefully we can find the issue.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 09:18:52 AM »

I have the same stuttering problem, but my mem always max's out on mythruna. No problem with it, but after I quit it takes awhile to load other things after having such stress on my laptop  Smiley

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 09:21:20 AM »

I have the same stuttering problem, but my mem always max's out on mythruna. No problem with it, but after I quit it takes awhile to load other things after having such stress on my laptop  Smiley

How much RAM does your laptop have?

What OS do you run?
Ghelmaron
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 10:48:11 PM »

As long as I stay in one location, I am fine. I can take 1 - 2 hours to build a big building with no issues. But, I ran around JPs island, right after logging into the game and had to logout/in again because the stuttering was so bad.

In the chat bar, you can run a /mem command that will give you more details about the available memory than just a percentage.  If the max total memory on the far right of that output is less than 512 meg then the app isn't picking up your memory settings.

During one of these times when my Mem: was at 99% and the game stuttered horrible, I did the /mem command and the result is:

Working Mem 257019688/259522560 VMMW 257019688/259522560
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 11:08:26 PM »

During one of these times when my Mem: was at 99% and the game stuttered horrible, I did the /mem command and the result is:

Working Mem 257019688/259522560 VMMW 257019688/259522560
[/quote]

Thanks for this... it is as I feared and for some reason the memory settings are being completely ignored.  That last number should be closer to 518000000. ie: in your case default Java memory settings are being used which limits the app to 256 meg when Mythruna won't run very well in less than 512 meg.

Can you tell me what version of Java you have installed and for my own sanity, how you start the application?

Thanks.
Ghelmaron
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 11:43:29 PM »

I tried a few websites that are supposed to display the Java version and they failed  Tongue So, I found a website that showed how to find this information via CMD (java -version) and the result is:

Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx256m -Xms256m
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

Is that -Xmx256m -Xms256m somehow limiting my Java memory?

As for how I start Mythruna, I have a shortcut to Mythuna.exe on my desktop that I double click on.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 12:01:56 AM »

I tried a few websites that are supposed to display the Java version and they failed  Tongue So, I found a website that showed how to find this information via CMD (java -version) and the result is:

Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx256m -Xms256m
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

Is that -Xmx256m -Xms256m somehow limiting my Java memory?

Yeah, I bet it totally is.  From that same command line, try typing:
Code:
set _JAVA_OPTIONS
And hitting return.

If that returns something then I wonder what evil thing has set the JVM options that way.

In the mean time, if you want to manually use these options then you should be able to force them on the command line.  From the command line, go to the directory where Mythruna is installed (where the mythruna .exe is and the lib directory, etc.)  (I'd tell you the command but I don't know what the directory is... I don't know if you have ever worked in the command line before though.)

java -Xmx512m -jar Mythruna-20120308.exe

That should force Java to use the required setting... but I'm curious to know what sets the _JVM_OPTIONS and why since this is bound to be causing problems on other machines.

I may add a check for it during startup just to warn the user.

Also, if you don't want to go through and of that mess, you can just run on 64 m clip (press F12 three times in game).  I've run this way on 256 meg settings many times without too much issue.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: