Mythruna
May 03, 2024, 02:16:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Radial menu for hot-selection...  (Read 27999 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2013, 02:43:48 AM »

Prototyping the new radial menu for hot-selection: http://i.imgur.com/QEttMGK.png

This is the one that will pop-up when there are parameters for the currently selected tool.  So, for example, if the build wand is held in the right hand then it is a "two handed" objects because the left hand will be for selection of block type, shape, etc..  In that case, holding Ctrl will bring up this type of pop-up and the mouse wheel+buttons can be used to navigate the menu.

In that case, the orbs would have block types or shape categories in them.  This is still the really early stages... more pics to come soon.
Budehgong
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:55:12 AM »

Diggin' it.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 07:08:20 AM »

I love the three-dimensional view, along with that gradient that goes from the main bubble to the bubble that is hovered over.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »

I love the three-dimensional view, along with that gradient that goes from the main bubble to the bubble that is hovered over.

Thanks, it took a long time to get that gradient right.  OCD at it's worst.  And I'm still not 100% happy with the color but I have to wait to see it on real scenes now.

Just to clarify how this particular version is planned to operate.

The normal new control scheme will be that left click, right click, and mouse wheel all apply to whatever is held in the right hand.  Holding the ctrl key will switch these to applying to whatever is in the left hand.  Some things like the "build wand" are a two handed item.  The wand is held in the right but it has an additional control switch in the left hand.

While the build wand is held in the right hand, the mouse wheel will change block variation (usually the rotation but for flowers it will be flower type, etc.). 

Holding ctrl will open up the left-hand radial selector.  This will allow you to navigate the block types tree with the left/right mouse buttons and the mouse wheel.  Mouse wheel will roll through different selections.  Left click will move forward in the tree and right click will move back in the tree. 

The current design has the menu being no more than four levels deep at the lowest and that includes the material type level at the root.  The material type level will have the most selections to scroll through but the other levels never have more than 5.  Also, if you were down in the wedges of one material and "right click" back up to the material type level it will still remember where you were.  If you switch to a different material and it has the same kind of shape then it will be preselected if you "forward, forward, forward".  Also, I think if you let the menu close without forwarding down to the bottom then I will have it just automatically select that shape.

Here is one of my earlier quick-and-dirty mockups of the idea as I was trying to decide on spacing and stuff: http://i.imgur.com/ODIGQTu.png

It also shows how the next level might be indicated so it will be easy to see a leaf selection versus a category selection.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 12:00:02 PM »

When I get the animations hooked up then I will post a video.  Probably also another donators-only test release shortly after.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »

That is really cool, I understand how you might get that OCD in a bit. But it is just so amazing at the progress you have got done since the 20120627 build, and I want you to give this game the best you got, go get'em Paul!
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »

I like how we'll able to find blocks a bit faster. One thing I dislike though is the branches for the block types make the radial menu look kinda cheesy.
Other than that the menu is really cool Smiley

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 01:29:56 PM »

I like how we'll able to find blocks a bit faster. One thing I dislike though is the branches for the block types make the radial menu look kinda cheesy.

Are you talking about the last pic?  It's just a mock-up.  I just cut and pasted some block to be there for scaling, it won't really look like that at all.  (Not the least of which that it's been scaled up like 4 or 5 times. Smiley)

The real ones will look like the ones that are in the center of the screen in the version you play now... they will even rotate with the camera just like now.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »

Are you talking about the last pic?  It's just a mock-up.  I just cut and pasted some block to be there for scaling, it won't really look like that at all.  (Not the least of which that it's been scaled up like 4 or 5 times. Smiley)

The real ones will look like the ones that are in the center of the screen in the version you play now... they will even rotate with the camera just like now.
Ah, ok that's relieving.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 05:33:13 PM »

...this is why I always hesitate to show you guys my mock-ups before implementing something. Smiley
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 05:54:28 PM »

lookin' good, Paul. I like the way you do your menus and stuff Smiley the papers and books for the main menus, and gold discs and lens-looking things for this. most excellent.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »

Haha, nice.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 01:58:45 AM »

I was prototyping the animations of selection and level transitions so I made a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLt6-80LMZo
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 06:51:59 AM »

Paul I cannot explain how cool that is, everything is just so magnificent, the animations, the fade-outs of the other selections that aren't near you, moving from the main group into the sections of the category. I hope that I will become that amazing at programming one day.
Do you mind me asking, have you ever really had to look up some code to know how to do certain things with Mythruna, or do you amazingly have it memorized?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 10:06:26 AM »

Paul I cannot explain how cool that is, everything is just so magnificent, the animations, the fade-outs of the other selections that aren't near you, moving from the main group into the sections of the category. I hope that I will become that amazing at programming one day.
Do you mind me asking, have you ever really had to look up some code to know how to do certain things with Mythruna, or do you amazingly have it memorized?

You mean look up techniques?  Yeah, I do that all the time.  Not in this case because the code for this is not hard once you have a strategy for interrupting animations that are running, etc..

But for more complicated things, I look up stuff on the web all the time.  Recently I even looked up things like efficient AABB (axis-aligned bounding box) collision detection or normal map generation, etc..
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: