Mythruna
May 05, 2024, 03:08:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mythruna Article  (Read 3426 times)
DevynCJohnson

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:32:59 AM »

I am writing an article about various voxel (Minecraft-like) games. I was wondering if you could tell me the world size limit of this game? In other words, how big is a world in this game starting from the center and counting the number of blocks in every direction?

Thanks,
Devyn Collier Johnson
DevynCJohnson@GMail.com
http://dcjtech.info/
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:53:55 AM »

There is no preset world size.  It's more based on limitations in disk size and even then it's hard to say.  It only generates and stores the parts of the world that you explore... so if you walk in a straight line you can generate a really long and skinny world but it will basically go on until you fill the whole hard drive.

Now, there are some practical limits in the released version that set some virtual limits.

First, there is a sort of bug in the world fractal that causes the land to get really dramatic and crazy when you get down to coordinates in the -12,000 or so.  The world gets really spiky.  Eventually, at around -16000 the client will crash because one of these towers generates too tall and there is a bug where I don't clamp the value properly.

I think that limit is even in the new engine.

The other practical limit is in the player movement physics, if coordinates get really high then movement starts to feel strange.  We've teleported up to 100,000 x 100,000 and started to feel like we were drifting a little as we walked.  When we teleported up to 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 we couldn't even walk... just look around.

That bug is not in the new engine because movement is handled with a higher precision physics loop that can deal with the larger coordinates.

The amount of disk space that a particular section of the world uses will vary by a lot... so I can't even define fixed limits based on hard disk size.  Also, the compression may get better in the future allowing for even more efficient world storage.

Sorry that I couldn't directly answer your question... but hopefully you see why now. Smiley
Rayblon
Donators

Hmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 12:16:40 PM »

Lol, looks like he wasn't too keen on your answer. Here's a link to The article he wrote: http://dcjtech.info/topic/voxel-world-limits-and-earth-comparison/

Notice the distinct lack of "Mythruna". Ahh well, He wanted exact numbers where there really aren't any. I'm not quite sure what his objective was in writing this, tbh.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:40:08 PM by Rayblon » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: