Mythruna
April 25, 2024, 11:28:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Tutorial - How to Install Groovy  (Read 78279 times)
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2012, 07:09:01 PM »

Heya, this tutorial will teach you how to install groovy. This tutorial only works on Windows Vista/7.

1.) First off, you need to download Groovy http://groovy.codehaus.org/Download <-- click "Binary Release" of any version. Newest is 2.0.1

2.) Second, download a JDK (Java Development Kit) http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7u7-downloads-1836413.html accept license agreement and select version.

3.) Go into your start menu and right click "computer" and select "properties".

4.) It brings up the control panel. On the sidebar, select "Advanced System Settings" and click "Environment Variables" near the bottom.

5.) At the top it says "User Variables for [username]" click "New" and type "GROOVY_HOME" this location is where you installed groovy. Mine for example is   "C:\Users\Michael\Scripting\groovy-2.0.1" and select 'OK'

6.) Select "New" again. name this one "JAVA_HOME" this is where you put your JDK. Mine for example is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_07"

7.) Select "New" one last time. name this one "PATH" and inside that put "%GROOVY_HOME%\bin;%PATH%"

8.) Press 'ok' to get out of everything, making everything confirmed.

you should now have groovy installed properly. you can open up the command prompt and type "groovy" and press enter. You now have groovy installed properly, enjoy!

NOTE: to open groovy go to either your command prompt and type "start groovyConsole" or go to your groovy directory, inside the bin, and double-click on the batch file named "groovyConsole"

you can learn groovy at: http://groovy.codehaus.org/Documentation
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:15:13 AM by unnaturallife » Logged
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:32:54 PM »

i believe i already had the groovy_home env. variable when i used the windows installer

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:53:53 PM »

6.) Select "New" again. name this one "GROOVY_HOME\bin" and like GROOVY_HOME, just add '\bin' to the end of it.

Don't do this one.  It's weird and unnecessary.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »

8.) Select "New" one last time. name this one "PATH" and inside that put "%GROOVY_HOME%\bin%PATH%"

You need a semicolon in there:
 "%GROOVY_HOME%\bin;%PATH%"
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 07:57:08 AM »

8.) Select "New" one last time. name this one "PATH" and inside that put "%GROOVY_HOME%\bin%PATH%"

I didn't have to do this part... O.o

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 08:56:11 AM »

I didn't have to do this part... O.o

Maybe the groovy installer did it for you?  The groovy bin needs to be on the path in order to run "groovy" from the command line... or you'll get "command not found".
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:07:17 PM »

Paul, what degree do you have specifically?

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:28:25 PM »

6.) Select "New" again. name this one "GROOVY_HOME\bin" and like GROOVY_HOME, just add '\bin' to the end of it.

Don't do this one.  It's weird and unnecessary.

*edits post* ok thanks Paul, told you I forgot Tongue i remembered enough to work it.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »

Like... college degree?
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 06:28:19 PM »

Paul, since we are on the topic of groovy, is there a section you recommend to start on? in the "user guide" section http://groovy.codehaus.org/User+Guide
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »

Like... college degree?
yes, unless you don't have one. I only ask because I'm trying to find a degree for software developement (making video games) and i wondered if you had or know of a specific degree i could look up.

Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 07:13:30 PM »

Im currently getting my associates in computer programming, only 1 semester to go woot, but I may transfer to baker college after. They offer a bachelors in software with a specialty in game development....and you can even do it online. There are other schools but this one has a campus nearby
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 07:28:19 PM »

Like... college degree?
yes, unless you don't have one. I only ask because I'm trying to find a degree for software developement (making video games) and i wondered if you had or know of a specific degree i could look up.

If not a bother, I would like to ask how old are you? Our minds are connected. I am trying to learn groovy (when i get some quiet in my house) and here are my plans:

JOB: ?
 secondary 1: Artist
 secondary 2: Computer Programmer
 secondary 3: youtube partner.

Cheesy I have a great plan and I am 12!
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 07:58:01 PM »

Paul, since we are on the topic of groovy, is there a section you recommend to start on? in the "user guide" section http://groovy.codehaus.org/User+Guide

<shrug>  It's probably all worth doing.  Do every tutorial you can get your hands on.  They will all teach you something.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 08:00:24 PM »

Like... college degree?

I went to college more than 20 years ago now on a Systems Engineering degree.  The first two years were heavy on computer science... but I dropped out somewhere in or after my second year.  I was working for start up companies making good $$$ and just didn't have the time to juggle it all.

I also took some art classes and have been into computer graphics and game programming since I was 10 years old.  I thought about minoring in art but the curriculum was a little too strange and not computer-oriented at the time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: