Mythruna
March 18, 2024, 09:32:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I create a stand alone server?  (Read 32765 times)
Thalorian

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:06:22 PM »

I have downloaded the pack, but, unsure what to do after that, can I have help please?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:11:37 PM »

I have downloaded the pack, but, unsure what to do after that, can I have help please?

Most of it is pretty easy, hopefully.

Unzip what you downloaded to some directory.
Then run the .exe that is in the expanded directory.

This should prompt you for some settings for your world, etc. and let you launch the server.  You can test it by running the regular game and trying to connect to the server "localhost".  (Make sure your windows firewall settings allow connections.)

This will be fine for working inside your network but to let others access from outside your network you will have to map the right ports through your router/firewall and stuff.
Thalorian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 11:13:59 PM »

I have done this, but the game won't open
Thalorian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:16:26 PM »

Ok, I've opened both games, so, I type in "localhost"? What if I want someone else to connect?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:21:30 PM »

Ok, I've opened both games, so, I type in "localhost"? What if I want someone else to connect?

This will be fine for working inside your network but to let others access from outside your network you will have to map the right ports through your router/firewall and stuff.

You would have to provide them your internet IP address and the port you configured when you setup the server (usually best to leave the default port). 

In order for them to connect, you will have to configure your internet router to map the ports through.  Assuming you use the default port, you will have to make sure that UDP port 4234 maps through to your internal machine and that TCP ports 4234 through 4237 map through also.

That's the trickiest part and the hardest for me to help with since every cable modem and router is a little different.
Thalorian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:33:13 PM »

It is now saying everytime I log in that I have to restart the game.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »

It is now saying everytime I log in that I have to restart the game.

Can you be more specific?  What is saying it?  The client or the server?  Is the server still running?  What do you see on the server?  Is there an error log on the client?
Thalorian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 01:55:07 AM »

I figured it out, it was just a small glitch that was fixed when I restarted my computer, it would freeze up when I entered my password, and would claim that my password was false.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »

Paul you should make a tutorial on the server installation. just to link it to people so you do not have to explain it again and again and again...
#timeConsumption
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 02:00:54 PM »

Yeah, I haven't had to explain it that many times, though.  And now I can point people here. Smiley

When I first put up a separate server, I wasn't sure how many people would actually use it.  And I think there are some subset of folks who run the server who just figure it out on their own.  Since I didn't get a lot of questions then I didn't put up anything.

Official docs for the server will happen, though... along with the useful script bundle for running a full-time server more nicely.
Thalorian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »

At least mod the download thing so that it gives instructions ON it Tongue
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 02:53:37 PM »

Yeah, I need some proper docs and a tutorial... there just hasn't been a lot of demand so far.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »

Yeah, I need some proper docs and a tutorial... there just hasn't been a lot of demand so far.

I demand!
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 02:59:14 PM »

If you need help writing up a tutorial let me know, on a few other games I was made a moderator whos job was to help create and edit about 15 seperate players guides lol
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 03:20:56 PM »

I can give accounts on the wiki for anyone interested... or they can just post it here and I will link it or cut-paste it or something.

...or I will get to it eventually. Smiley

For me, I hate to redo things later so when there is little demand for docs I put them off as long as possible.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: