Mythruna
May 01, 2024, 12:30:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Features in the Game  (Read 44600 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2012, 04:37:24 PM »

the thing with any developer, is they have a set path, or at least pretend to, and when another person is thrown in...especially in start up development, it may actually slow the process down.

the best thing in my opinion is work on learning groovy, learn it and throw a few things together yourself. try and make something simple. as soon as you can do intermediate jobs, then work harder and master those techniques.

when the game is out of pre-alpha and further along then you may be of use. best help you can do right now is learn more....at least in my opinion

Yes, that's right.  As far as Unn goes, at this point I'm even hesitant to provide more support until he learns more.  If a developer can't even write a simple four or five room text adventure with a handful of commands (look, drop, take, go, inventory, etc.) then in the grand scheme of things in dev terms, if dev was life, they are still a drooling baby that can't even hold their head up.

Which is not to say that less ambitious plans cannot be accomplished with less skilled developers.  For example, adding new key mappings is pretty trivial if following the prescribed approach.  This level of simple customization is pretty straight forward.

But beyond that, the next simplest thing is writing chat console commands... and that's not really different than writing the "look", "drop", etc. support in a simple text adventure.  If that's still baffling then it will be a struggle.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2012, 06:06:48 PM »

Quote from: pspeed
Yes, that's right.  As far as Unn goes, at this point I'm even hesitant to provide more support until he learns more.  If a developer can't even write a simple four or five room text adventure with a handful of commands (look, drop, take, go, inventory, etc.) then in the grand scheme of things in dev terms, if dev was life, they are still a drooling baby that can't even hold their head up.

I know i cannot be able to help you for a long time, I need more knowledge on the subject of groovy. I have very scarce times to learn, and very short periods.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »

The smell of learning is strong.
"use book"
"You learn how to read books."

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2012, 12:04:55 AM »

Quote from: pspeed
Yes, that's right.  As far as Unn goes, at this point I'm even hesitant to provide more support until he learns more.  If a developer can't even write a simple four or five room text adventure with a handful of commands (look, drop, take, go, inventory, etc.) then in the grand scheme of things in dev terms, if dev was life, they are still a drooling baby that can't even hold their head up.

I know i cannot be able to help you for a long time, I need more knowledge on the subject of groovy. I have very scarce times to learn, and very short periods.

Every post on here could have been another line you added to a program just to see what it would do.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2012, 04:23:09 AM »

I would practice groovy more if i didn't let my high school classes gang up on me... on the bright side one of those classes is a java-language class so at least i'm getting somewhere.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »

I would practice groovy more if i didn't let my high school classes gang up on me... on the bright side one of those classes is a java-language class so at least i'm getting somewhere.

Yeah, you are on the right track.

You also don't post 2 messages a day about how great things will be when you learn groovy. Wink  You know, instead of actually taking the time to learn it instead of posting about it.

As an aside in general to all readers, there is a sort of fundamental human phenomenon that the more we talk about something the less likely we are to do it.  There are lots of well researched reasons for this... not the least of which that talking about something lets us exercise some of the excitement that we would have otherwise used to keep us motivated when actually doing.  I run into that problem all the time with the amount I share here.  It takes that much extra effort to keep going when I go to implement something... but I persevere.

If you've ever known anyone who always talks about doing great things but never actually gets past the first step or so... they are likely perpetually falling into this trap.  The gratification for sharing and getting feedback is way quicker than actually doing the work and getting real feedback.

I used to see people as "doers" and "talk-about-doers".  You see many of the latter group in "design phase" open source projects and in start-up game hobbyists that never go anywhere.  But it's actually a continuous spectrum.  One can force themselves to be more productive by consciously talking less about a dream and working towards it instead.  The talking about it can be the reward for actual achievement.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2012, 01:12:31 PM »

Doers??
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »

Doers??

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=doers
BigredRm