Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 04:14:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Skills and training...  (Read 104892 times)
Rothrod

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »

I know I'm entering the discussion late.  Sorry, I just discovered the game this week.

I always liked skills that had a reflection of player skill.  For example, if your careful enough as a player in the lock picking interface in Skyrim, you as a "novice" could pick advanced locks.

I think it would positively impact the game economy if complex crafting, like sword making required skillful player input.  The more precise the player is, the better the crafting result is.  As a demonstration of the concept, Epic Mickey for the 3ds has the player trace drawings to help Mickey draw new items.  The more accurately the player traces, the better the resulting item.

I could see this similar to an interface for skinning a deer.

I know this would add a lot to the programming and possibly server overhead, but I think it would add a lot of value to player crafted items.

I think that this would be the way to put skill in game. No levels, no exp, only player's skills! I've this idea: use a "minigame" for every skill, simply to obtain simply items, but very hard to obtain best items(in smithing, for example). In this way the player is no more influenced by the time that he have played, but by his skill.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2013, 05:35:40 PM »

I know I'm entering the discussion late.  Sorry, I just discovered the game this week.

I always liked skills that had a reflection of player skill.  For example, if your careful enough as a player in the lock picking interface in Skyrim, you as a "novice" could pick advanced locks.

I think it would positively impact the game economy if complex crafting, like sword making required skillful player input.  The more precise the player is, the better the crafting result is.  As a demonstration of the concept, Epic Mickey for the 3ds has the player trace drawings to help Mickey draw new items.  The more accurately the player traces, the better the resulting item.

I know this would add a lot to the programming and possibly server overhead, but I think it would add a lot of value to player crafted items.

I think that this would be the way to put skill in game. No levels, no exp, only player's skills! I've this idea: use a "minigame" for every skill, simply to obtain simply items, but very hard to obtain best items(in smithing, for example). In this way the player is no more influenced by the time that he have played, but by his skill.
I'm not sure how Paul will go about doing it, but skill will play a major part in combat. But this topic has been covered a few times before so I suggest searching the forum.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2013, 07:11:21 PM »

I'm not sure how Paul will go about doing it, but skill will play a major part in combat. But this topic has been covered a few times before so I suggest searching the forum.

Yeah, I already responded to the quoted post so I didn't feel the need to respond again.

My thoughts on experience and skill levels are well documented at this point. Smiley  I think you only need to search for "400 badgers" or something to find my rants on the evils of XP. Smiley
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »

what will be annoying if a player wants to mass produce an item to open a shop to sell them to get rich

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »

what will be annoying if a player wants to mass produce an item to open a shop to sell them to get rich

I'm not clear on the annoying part.  It sounds like a player-based economy to me.  "get rich" is not an easy thing to achieve anyway.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2013, 05:54:54 PM »

Plus, that happens in real-life. Mass-produce a good product, get rich. Happens everyday.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2013, 06:15:05 PM »

ok but i hope the mini games arent too long

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »

It should take a long time to create something metal.  Assuming you run through all the steps yourself, you have to smelt the ore, forge the blanks, run the metal through multiple temperatures and tempering, etc..

This is not a "click 5 times to make a sword" sort of game.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2013, 06:23:52 PM »

It should take a long time to create something metal.  Assuming you run through all the steps yourself, you have to smelt the ore, forge the blanks, run the metal through multiple temperatures and tempering, etc..

Lol yea Tongue I will probably make a LOT of wooden swords first, but even that would be a bit of a process..
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2013, 06:24:06 PM »

i just hope it won't take an in game week to make 10 stock of swords for a sword shop

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »

i just hope it won't take an in game week to make 10 stock of swords for a sword shop
1 week would be equivalent to an hour or two, well not that long.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2013, 06:45:12 PM »

It's not like you can't do anything else. Just trade something for a nice sword and head on your way. Business is complex, especially in the metal working business.

ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2013, 07:16:03 PM »

It's not like you can't do anything else. Just trade something for a nice sword and head on your way. Business is complex, especially in the metal working business.
when alpha is released on multiplayer servers i'm gonna open up trading posts (places to barter goods with the shop keeper ex: food for sword or gems for armor depending on what i have in stock to trade)

lol its kinda boarder line general store

Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2013, 08:38:17 PM »

when alpha is released on multiplayer servers i'm gonna open up trading posts (places to barter goods with the shop keeper ex: food for sword or gems for armor depending on what i have in stock to trade)

xD... That sounds fun to go to. I feel like being a bandit and trading the armor I find from robbery/murder. Nobody would know until they found me Smiley

ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2013, 08:16:01 AM »

xD... That sounds fun to go to. I feel like being a bandit and trading the armor I find from robbery/murder. Nobody would know until they found me Smiley
I'd sell you food for that stolen armor and not ask any questions lol

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: