Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 03:48:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: what race are you leaning towards?
human - 6 (37.5%)
simian - 1 (6.3%)
reptillian - 2 (12.5%)
avian - 2 (12.5%)
elf - 2 (12.5%)
Dwarf - 2 (12.5%)
Pantherian - 1 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What will your story be?  (Read 29207 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »

And then when he is captain he flys to his old town and shoots/slashes the wings of the people who made him leave outta hatred. lol

LOL.  The revenge angle wasn't really what I had in mind so much as helping his fellow cast-offs get back into flying somehow.

...but it is funny to think.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 09:36:44 PM »

And to think of the stories you will miss within the real game. *Something amazing happens in the town next to you, but you pass.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Tsuku

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 02:17:12 AM »

One of the character diaries I've outline is about an Avian who was wounded to the point where he couldn't fly.  When this happens an Avian is kicked out of the tribe.  They have no tolerance for ground-bound brethren.

His story arc involves getting signed on to an airship crew.  His knowledge of aero-navigation and the ability to predict the weather earns him a nice spot on the crew.  Eventually he decides he wants to captain his own airship and crew it with only other excommunicated Avians that he's met.  Getting from "just what he's carrying" to "owning/operating an air ship" should be an interesting set of stories.

Haha yeah, but I'd still go human for the sake of unremarkability. One of my favorite things in a game is to blend in and observe; not being the world-saving hero, just playing as a wanderer, going from town to town. Games which allow you to do that are my absolute favorites. If a game can be fun even without all the bombast of "kill the dragon save the maiden!" then I think it's a hit. From the backstory of your character in this game, it might be really fun to play a kind of trans-dimensional G-man, or equalizer haha. Just thoughts though...
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 04:02:23 AM »

One of the character diaries I've outline is about an Avian who was wounded to the point where he couldn't fly.  When this happens an Avian is kicked out of the tribe.  They have no tolerance for ground-bound brethren.

His story arc involves getting signed on to an airship crew.  His knowledge of aero-navigation and the ability to predict the weather earns him a nice spot on the crew.  Eventually he decides he wants to captain his own airship and crew it with only other excommunicated Avians that he's met.  Getting from "just what he's carrying" to "owning/operating an air ship" should be an interesting set of stories.

Haha yeah, but I'd still go human for the sake of unremarkability. One of my favorite things in a game is to blend in and observe; not being the world-saving hero, just playing as a wanderer, going from town to town. Games which allow you to do that are my absolute favorites. If a game can be fun even without all the bombast of "kill the dragon save the maiden!" then I think it's a hit. From the backstory of your character in this game, it might be really fun to play a kind of trans-dimensional G-man, or equalizer haha. Just thoughts though...

I agree completely

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 08:15:54 AM »

To me I see all races as having the same "remarkablility"

Humans, while looking normal in our own society, may not in mythruna. If I remember correctly, they are explorers, and try and spread around. So while being diverse, a human found near any of the orher mythrunic cultural societies, they may be remarkable. A flying human in avian society would be noticed for sure.

Tsuku

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »

Possibly, but it also says something about how most surface cities will be human in origin. And if humans are indeed so motivated to explore, surely a human traveller will be unremarkable in most places they go?

A traveller shakes the snow off his dirty, hooded cloak as he shuffles into a nameless inn. He lowers himself wearily onto a seat, and leans his pock-marked bastard sword against the table; it's almost dull and slowly going to rust, but it makes a passable walking stick. He calls to the barmaid for a beer, then lays back and listens to the buzz of conversation as he dozes off.

That's what I wanna play haha. Screw being the Dragonborn.  Grin
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 09:32:10 AM »

The wind rushes into the warm, stale tavern as the traveler makes his way out of the cold. Mostly hidden within his cloth cloak, he still reeks of human. The tavern patrons sniff the air, and with their acute Pantherian sense of smell, feel hatred upon him for his intrusion. Conversations cease, and one by one the patrons slowly start to leave.

depending on the area/culture of the environment, regardless of race, people will react differently. A secretive society will try and stay away from outsiders, while a more open society will ignore them, and a culture where they have been cut off from others may even put that outsider as a special guest and bug the hell out of them lol

not to say you cant play the way you want, thats what makes this game interesting, i'm just saying dont think just because your human you will be seen as insignificant when it may just turn out the opposite
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 11:34:37 AM »

If it's a tavern in a town then it will be run by humans or simians.  If there are a large number of pantherians in a town then it's because they were displaced from their normal hunting grounds or something.  They are nomads who generally live in animal skin huts, etc... at least in the warm months.

The cities and towns are the cultural mixing centers.  Nearly all races will show up there from time to time for various reasons but it's the humans and simians that are town builders.  In general, the other races will behave in cities and towns because they are there for a reason and probably accustomed to the atmosphere.  This would be the most likely place that a human might make friends with other races.

Pantherians will be unlikely to welcome strangers into their camp... especially those of other races.  A reptilian trying to enter a pantherian camp would probably be killed without even a question.  A pantherian with the wrong kind of skin markings might receive similar treatment. If they deal enough with humans then they might tolerate your presence... but they would be suspicious and curious to your purpose.  The longer you stay (unless you are friends) the more agitated they will become.  They are more likely to forcefully expel you than to kill you, though.

Reptilians will be even less likely to welcome strangers if you are a different race.  They are more accepting of their own kind than pantherians because the reptilians generally do not war with one another.  If a reptlian village does welcome you then you should sleep with one eye open because you might be their next meal.  If you actually find a reptilian city then they are more civilized and more accepting... though generally these will be underwater cities and you'd have to find some way to breathe.

You will be unlikely to find an avian camp on your own (they move daily) and an avian aerie will be heavily guarded and strangers are absolutely not allowed under any circumstances.  They are paranoid and dogmatic in general and the place where they raise their children up to flying age is where they are most vulnerable.

Simians and humans have no problems entering each others' towns.  It's a bit like visiting a foreign country here.  You might see some prejudice but just as likely there will be people who want to meet you just because you are interesting to them (they like your accent or are interested in your ears, hair, etc.)

Dwarves will trade with humans and simians but they will have special designated areas of their underground cities where you are allowed to go.  The rest will be off limits.  They have no time for reptilians or pantherians.  They sometimes have a tenuous relationship with avians.

Elves will not let you into their village unless you are also an elf.  They won't be mean about it but they will forcefully uphold that rule if necessary.  It's similar to the dwarves.  There are some places you are not allowed to be... and in this case it is "everywhere".  They will have meeting areas outside of their villages.  The larger elven villages may even have guest huts.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 11:44:20 AM »

I find it odd truly that the majority is set to human (according to this poll) im willing to try all races, but simian are probably the one I will consider my "main"

And thank you paul for that run down on social cultures for the races
Tsuku

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »

Hehe man, the races sound uber-insular. I think I might have to start a pro-human crusade. Purge the unclean etc. Tongue Actually, since there are no orcs, will the reptilians be the horde forming race, with mass war parties etc?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »

Hehe man, the races sound uber-insular. I think I might have to start a pro-human crusade. Purge the unclean etc. Tongue Actually, since there are no orcs, will the reptilians be the horde forming race, with mass war parties etc?

There may be other orc-like races, perhaps less civilized... these are just the playable races.

One thing to remember is that the bulk of the reptilian race is basically on the decline.  They live in small self-sufficient communities in general.  It would take a bunch of separate tribes banding together to form any sizable army... which could happen.  Numerous examples in our own history show this.  In the right element, reptilians _would_ be a nasty force to deal with.

Another thing to remember, until humans started exploring and expanding, the other races basically had nothing to do with one another.  And some of the races still aren't very happy to change.  Now, Mythrunian humans were nicer about this expansion than earth-humans were, historically... they were never a large enough force to just conquer things outright and it would have been pretty bloody anyway.  So it's not like they purposely displaced large populations of indigenous peoples... but that doesn't mean that some didn't move anyway once the new neighbors showed up.

There is an eighth unplayable race that I'm keeping secret.  (There is no eighth race.  Move along.)  They are known as "the whispers" in legend and are universally agreed upon to be "the bad guys" by all of the other races.  In modern Mythrunian times, these have been relegated to scary stories told to children.  Events may transpire that bring them back... and I've already said too much.  (There is no eighth race.  I don't know what he's talking about.)
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 01:31:10 PM »

Any clue when we can get a cultural socialogical breakdown of each race

In other words, who is the big boss of each race

Such as: king ironheft (dwarf)
       Queen aerithin (elf)

Etc etc....yes I just through any name out, dont care if they sound crappy
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »

Any clue when we can get a cultural socialogical breakdown of each race

In other words, who is the big boss of each race

Such as: king ironheft (dwarf)
       Queen aerithin (elf)

Etc etc....yes I just through any name out, dont care if they sound crappy

I don't understand exactly.  Names would be different on every generated world, for example.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »

I was just curious if each race had its own government
Tsuku

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »

So... is there any chance that an invasion or race war could happen? Say a bunch of human towns spawned near a bunch of reptilians; if they end up competing for space, hunting grounds, would it be possible that they could end up warring? Haha the whispers... a suitably ominous name.  Cheesy "behold, in darkness, a doom sweeps the land." hehe

Iggyjeckel, did you mean how would the governments for races be organised? Like, with a shaman and hetman for reptilians, or a king or parliament for humans? 'Cause I'm curious about that too...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: