Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 02:44:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mythruna.com Logins...  (Read 17000 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:48:10 PM »

Just a small heads up for those who play closer attention...

I just now got working a bit of Java code that will let Mythruna (the game) login to Mythruna (the web site) using the accounts that get setup when you donate.

This means a few things.

First, when fully integrated, if you choose to login with your Mythruna.com user then the client and server will negotiate with each other to know who you are and how much you've donated.  Eventually, the server will not even require a separate login as it will just defer to your global Mythruna.com user ID.  I'll have to work out account migration before then.

Second, it means I can nicely identify donators in some way like we do on the forum.  Maybe you get a little indicator next to your name in the who, chat, floating text, etc.

Third, it means that I can start enabling features only for people who have paid.  Now, a few of you may feel bad about this but there have been many features that I hesitate to put in because they are so rife for abuse.  For example, things like vehicles, point-to-point teleporters, etc. would lead to pretty severe griefing that would actually affect the server performance.  And I can't really just limit it to one per player because then a) anyone who logs in for just five minutes will plop down their teleports/vehicles at the first opportunity, b) more resourceful players will just log in more than once to get as many of these things as they want.  Before long the world would be swiss cheesed with teleporters and the skies would be littered with half-conceived ugly flying blobs.

Initially, as I roll out character customization, it will definitely be a donator-only feature... and I'll probably take the hair away again.  "No pay, no hair!!!" Smiley  Or something.

I think this strikes a nice balance between allowing non-payers to play and still provide the donators with something special.  As a bonus, it means I can roll out features on the "free server" earlier than I would have been able to otherwise.

Fourth, and finally, having solved this problem expands the universe of things that I can more easily achieve.  For example, I could keep a global builder stats instead of just the one for my server.  The same mechanism will also be used to implement the server listing service and allow for server to server portals.  The server list may happen sooner rather than later.

I'm hoping to be able to roll this login capability into the next release with a revamped user interface.  It still remains to be seen whether I will drown in details or not but that's the plan.  Still no clue on when it will be... but that will probably be its primary new feature with maybe one or two small surprises.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:48:39 PM »

Haha that sounds good paul :] seeing as i donated i am rather excited cant wait to see these so called surprises xD

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 03:59:28 AM »

woah, this next update sounds incredible! You've been making some magic up there Paul  Cheesy so will all this stuff be public server only?

btw, i have been paying VERY close attention since i've been here  Smiley

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:26:21 AM »

Sounds too legit, too legit to quit.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:28:32 AM »

Sounds too legit, too legit to quit.

*blink.....blink*

Mc hammer referance.....actually had me a good giggle
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »

woah, this next update sounds incredible! You've been making some magic up there Paul  Cheesy so will all this stuff be public server only?

Thanks. Smiley  I hope I'm not overselling the next update.  From a "game" perspective there won't be too much that's new.  So many things in the works... so many things not ready yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by "public server only".  When the mythruna.com logins are incorporated into the client and server then anyone running a server has this unless they turn it off (it will be an option).
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 12:16:06 PM »

Thanks. Smiley  I hope I'm not overselling the next update.  From a "game" perspective there won't be too much that's new.  So many things in the works... so many things not ready yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by "public server only".  When the mythruna.com logins are incorporated into the client and server then anyone running a server has this unless they turn it off (it will be an option).
in retrospect it was a silly question, but i meant will you implement the new "game" stuff to single player or will it just be server related. and of course none of us expect the whole game to be ready in the next update, we just know what you're capable of which makes us excited  Smiley

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »

New features will show up in single and multiplayer.  It's likely that "donators-only" features will only be available to donators even in single player.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 01:37:02 PM »

Any type of update is an exciting update
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »

Any type of update is an exciting update
i would agree with this statement

BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »

So you will access donator features by logging in? Will you be able to play donator single player without an internet connection?
I certainly expect this in the finished version.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 06:07:32 PM »

So you will access donator features by logging in? Will you be able to play donator single player without an internet connection?

Yes, and yes.  If I limit single player it will be a one time activation style thing, I think.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 07:05:53 PM »

Yes, and yes.  If I limit single player it will be a one time activation style thing, I think.
woohoo! way to not pull a Blizzard-Diablo3

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: