Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 02:41:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The Property System  (Read 81978 times)
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 03:32:09 AM »

I completly agree.
But I also extend the 'property idea'. By travelling some MC-Servers I saw huge good looking cities and directly next to it half grieved ruined ugly stuff. The one who is running the server does surely not want to have this rubble piles everywhere.
So he should be able to protect certain larger areas from being modified and only granted people will be able to build there.
And even the granted builders should have certain limitations so they dont spam the servermap.

I peronaly think it would be a very appreciated feature to be able to protect your server from being building-spamed.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 08:46:37 AM »

As admin, you could always designate the whole world as a city (or large enough of it as to not matter) then everyone must obtain plots in order to build at all.  Or trusted people could get builder's badges to help clean things up.
deadering

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »

I like this idea. It should solve most griefing and finally I don't have to deal with my friends trying to "Help" me build. Cheesy
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »

Right... only if you want them to help and you can revoke that at any time. Smiley

Then you will just have to deal with them pestering you about why you won't let them help. Smiley
MSTrus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 04:09:08 AM »

what about few points? maybe it could be better if people can decide what count of blocks they will need. after selecting region it can be save "name"
later, owner can add people to the region, like this: /region addowner\\\addmember "regionname" "peoplename"

I'm not strong enough to stay away
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 05:22:42 AM »

There will be an actual user interface as described.  They won't have to remember odd cryptic commands.

Some players will end up managing multiple towns and many properties.  It's better to have an actual user interface for it.

There has to be a limit on the size or players will just claim the whole world.  The limit has to be big enough to build something cool but small enough that you are willing to go on quests to get more protected space.  And at that point, why wouldn't you want to just use the whole thing?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 01:06:50 PM »

Some pics of placing property boundaries that I put up on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.259995564022969.60889.204533646235828&type=1

They are public... no facebook account required to view them.
Atlas

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »

That looks pretty awesome. Can't wait 'til properties are finished. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »

I'm trying to release something soon.  Still a bunch of stuff left to do and I haven't even tackled the property management UI. (the property tab)

Still, if I can get the basic mechanics reliably working of allowing a player to place their own "stronghold" boundary and move it around, then I may release that just to get it out there.  One property per player doesn't really require a UI to manage... and I can always still give myself town properties and stuff as an admin until I get the UI in place.

This is only taking me loner than originally planned because I decided to let the player adjust the shape of the property to be something other than square.  Players will also be able to move and rotate the map marker for how their property label appears on the map.

There may also be a few surprises in the works.
caesar
Forum's Janitor
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »

me gusta!

Great you make progress in the property issue, that will safe you tons of time of 'griefer repairs'.
Hmm surprises in work... I'm getting curious =]

regards C
scorch

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 02:01:36 AM »

Hi. That looks awsome! I can't wait!!! Grin
About the shape, are you calculating the area of the property or defining a maximum size for each side?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 02:18:39 PM »

Total area.  So a "player stronghold" can be 1024 max area... which is 32x32 if you make it square.  There will be some minimum width of course and I may make that a ratio.  It makes no sense to make a town claim that is 6x1000 or whatever.  And even in the case where you want to make a stronghold only 6 wide, it seems odd to also make it nearly 150 long.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 11:11:17 PM »

Thought I'd post this here, too...

This is the photoshop mock-up of the property management UI:
http://www.facebook.com/Mythruna#!/photo.php?fbid=263407133681812&set=a.218418391514020.54331.204533646235828&type=1&theater

Not sure how much will survive when converted to a real user interface but I thought it might be interesting to some of you.
scorch

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 01:27:11 PM »

It's AWSOME! Great work on Photoshop, Paul. We all believe you will do it good, even in the game. Smiley Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 02:21:52 PM »

Thanks!  I have the left part of the screen working already and it looks exactly like in that picture... with a few other things (like I added the number of properties to the group name... Strongholds (2) or whatever.)

Tonight I hope to work on the right side of it... but cranking along so far.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: