Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 09:30:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Imagine  (Read 30851 times)
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »

This image is from a program called Outerra. As far as i can tell, Outerra is just a program in developement with BEAUTIFUL, AWE-INSPIRING graphics and physics. I looked at some videos and pictures on their website (since their features just explains alot of technical stuff) and it seems you can just fly around and maybe pilot vehicles ranging from a military van to a jet to... well something to do with space/outeratmosphere stuff. i saw 2 videos, of which i will put on here. if you put them together, you get the full scope of exactly just how heart-breakingly beautiful this engine is. This is not a post about a game, it is just about these graphics.

And, most importantly, i'd like you to think of what mythruna would be like if it had these graphics, like i did when i saw them. Just imagine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGMs7Iem3Vg&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3ou65tURHw&feature=player_embedded

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 05:15:05 PM »

Those graphics are extreme. Many systems may not be able to handle it.
The game is great, but too much memory use also. You need a gaming PC such as CyberPowerPC to handle it. And only a Desktop would pretty much work, unless you have many hook ups.
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:22:23 PM »

The game is great, but too much memory use also. You need a gaming PC such as CyberPowerPC to handle it. And only a Desktop would pretty much work, unless you have many hook ups.

im not sure if you know what your talking about...
these are the system requirments

Nvidia 8800GT or better, ATI 4850 or better
512MB GPU memory
a 2-core CPU
Recommended:
Nvidia 460GTX or better, ATI 6850 or better
1GB GPU memory

im downloading the 200mb demo atm just to experience the beauty for my self :]

btw thanks for shearing this it looks beautiful :]

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 05:28:10 PM »

There's no Linux version? How doth thou?

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 05:30:19 PM »

It is beautiful.  I've been studying techniques related to stuff like this for a while.

Photo-realism is a double-edged sword, though.  The human brain is very good at identifying small discrepancies.  Like, the posted picture is gorgeous but my brain instantly went "Hey, that's not a photo!" as it found lots of little things wrong.

I hope to make a game with graphics like this someday... but it would not run on any current hardware. Smiley

When I started Mythruna, I made a conscious choice to pick an aesthetic that was closer to fantasy art paintings.  For one thing, the human eye is a lot more forgiving.  For another, it instantly creates a sort of mood and setting where some odd creature running through the brush seems normal and you instantly look for where a wizard lives, etc..  You just feel it.

(This is also why I personally don't like my rock texture.  Enough people have said they love it that I'm loath to change it but to me it doesn't fit the style of the game properly.  I may slowly give it a more painterly quality over time.)
FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 05:52:04 PM »

this games amazing i went into space and shot back towards earth it was almost exactly like watching the redbull stratos video when your onboard with him as hes falling. this is cool i just wish i could fly around and drive without purchasing it xD

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 06:47:01 PM »

I'm slightly less impressed after watching the videos.  It's a cool engine but there is nothing ground breaking that I saw.

For example, this ocean effect comes standard as part of jMonkeyEngine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux_FgMbfL8I

You can add that to a game in two or three lines of code.

Their data handling is impressive but I saw it popping in at times as the cache caught up with more detailed views.  It reminded me of some of the google earth demos I've seen with actual elevation data.

I don't mean to detract from the coolness of them getting all of these things working smoothly together... That's hard.  It's just that I noticed more imperfections in the videos than I did in the still shot posted.

Also, one of the comments on the videos said something like "Elder scrolls should use this" but to me, Skyrim already has superior graphics at surface than this engine does.

What kind of game are they making?  I didn't go their web site or anything.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »

In the interest of full disclosure for the people who do not know... I'm a core developer on the jMonkeyEngine project and the libraries are what I use for OpenGL access in Mythruna.  They were impressed enough with Mythruna and my other contributions (I rewrote their networking layer for them, for example) that they made me a core member some time back (over a year ago now, I guess).

For the curious, here is the full trailer video that they put out back when the first beta was released:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRC9FDin5dA&feature=endscreen&NR=1
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 07:20:50 PM »

im not sure if you know what your talking about...
these are the system requirments

Nvidia 8800GT or better, ATI 4850 or better
512MB GPU memory
a 2-core CPU
Recommended:
Nvidia 460GTX or better, ATI 6850 or better
1GB GPU memory

im downloading the 200mb demo atm just to experience the beauty for my self :]

btw thanks for shearing this it looks beautiful :]
didn't look at that (derp)
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:02:52 PM »

Paul, you do understand it's alpha correct? It's like you making a game. It's not alpha yet, and it doesn't have RPG aspects. Outerra could be changed alot graphically.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 09:31:27 PM »

Paul, you do understand it's alpha correct? It's like you making a game. It's not alpha yet, and it doesn't have RPG aspects. Outerra could be changed alot graphically.

Yes, true.  It will be interesting to see what they do.  Like if the fix the lighting and stuff.  I usually think of alpha as being close to feature complete but I guess that idea has mostly eroded.

It just seemed from the videos like something I could replicate in a month or two, graphics-wise.  And I'm not trying to sound boastful, I know several others who could also.  That being said... none of us HAVE. Smiley  Doing is always better than thinking.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 10:23:57 PM »

Yes, true.  It will be interesting to see what they do.  Like if the fix the lighting and stuff.  I usually think of alpha as being close to feature complete but I guess that idea has mostly eroded.

It just seemed from the videos like something I could replicate in a month or two, graphics-wise.  And I'm not trying to sound boastful, I know several others who could also.  That being said... none of us HAVE. Smiley  Doing is always better than thinking.
I also saw in their development list "Real-time land deformation". Would a computer even be able to compute this much data? I was amazed at the level of detail when I messed with the terrain fractal resolution and set it to 0.1 cm. I got Millimeter detail up-close. Try it Cheesy
Edit: Wait, whoa, Core developer? Am I the only one who skimmed that and missed it? Smiley
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:26:13 PM by Moonkey » Logged

Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 10:29:46 PM »

If anyone here has tried "Space-Engine" and then have tried Outerra, you would notice a huge difference in landscape loading times. But I can't blame Space-Engine because It's trying to load random data.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 11:51:39 PM »

I messed with the terrain fractal resolution and set it to 0.1 cm. I got Millimeter detail up-close. Try it Cheesy

If it really is a fractal then it should have infinite detail.  Even Mythruna's fractal would provide that if had things smaller than blocks. Smiley

Deformation is always the tough part... that requires a potentially huge amount of data depending on how the let you deform.  If it's just manipulating the fractal then it's not as bad, though.  If you can edit each grain of sand... that's impossible. Smiley
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 05:45:48 AM »

If it really is a fractal then it should have infinite detail.  Even Mythruna's fractal would provide that if had things smaller than blocks. Smiley

Deformation is always the tough part... that requires a potentially huge amount of data depending on how the let you deform.  If it's just manipulating the fractal then it's not as bad, though.  If you can edit each grain of sand... that's impossible. Smiley
impossible... for now  Wink according to moore's law our computer's double in memory every couple of years so you never know!

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: