Mythruna
April 20, 2024, 03:24:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creature Of The Night (Working Title)  (Read 19089 times)
JKybett

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 08:55:03 AM »

Nor could it.  A real sword would cut it in half.  Anything else it struck (without taking advantage of its magical vampire slicing qualities) would bend it or dent it beyond repair.  It's essentially as soft as gold from a hardness perspective.  Softer even than bronze as I recall.
Exactly. He, as a dedicated slayer uses what is, to him, the perfect weapon but to anyone else is useless as anything else but a display piece.
He doesn't want to cut or hit anything else with it. All that matters is killing vampires.

Greatest Game ever                                                      Greatest Game ever
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 09:30:40 AM »

Nor could it.  A real sword would cut it in half.  Anything else it struck (without taking advantage of its magical vampire slicing qualities) would bend it or dent it beyond repair.  It's essentially as soft as gold from a hardness perspective.  Softer even than bronze as I recall.
Exactly. He, as a dedicated slayer uses what is, to him, the perfect weapon but to anyone else is useless as anything else but a display piece.
He doesn't want to cut or hit anything else with it. All that matters is killing vampires.

And the dangerous vampire could be the one who wields a real sword... Smiley
JKybett

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 09:37:38 AM »

Would be, but a vampire wouldn't typically wield a sword. They can quite easily rip through armour with their bare hands like it's paper.

Greatest Game ever                                                      Greatest Game ever
JKybett

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 09:40:09 AM »

As far as I can remember off the top of my head there are exactly four vampires in the world who carry a sword, one of them isn't around at that time, one isn't a vampire at that time and the other two are on the other side of the world.
Sir Gates is safe from that threat :L

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »

As far as I can remember off the top of my head there are exactly four vampires in the world who carry a sword, one of them isn't around at that time, one isn't a vampire at that time and the other two are on the other side of the world.
Sir Gates is safe from that threat :L

Just saying... if I was a vampire and knew there was some dude wielding a vampire slayer that could be easily stopped with a real blade, I might take up sword fighting.  Then again... maybe I'm too busy sucking blood and being evil and stuff.
JKybett

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 01:23:36 PM »

Lol. There's also the fact that vampires in that age are too arrogant to believe a human, even one with a silver sword, could kill them.

Blackslash

Whats up

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »

Also, OMG I've been promoted!

dude book to short only like a page my friend wrote a 50 page book on pages in a month

Really?
Your book was hardly longer. This is only 1/4 of JKy's book.

said my freind

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Blackslash~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nobody is perfect therefore I am nobody
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 04:13:53 PM »

Also, OMG I've been promoted!
dude book to short only like a page my friend wrote a 50 page book on pages in a month
Really?
Your book was hardly longer. This is only 1/4 of JKy's book.
said my freind
Was your friend's book written for NaNoWriMo?

(JK, I'll try to look over the second chapter today)
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »

The bright sunlight reigning over the skies above illuminated the world.
Is the sunlight or the sun reigning over the skies above? How about, "The sun, reigning over the skies above, illuminated the world" Also, find an adjective for "world" that connects it with the rest of the paragraph. Like "peaceful" or something.

The colours of the landscape were bright and vivid. From the overwhelming green of the grass to the yellow of the delicate buttercups dotting the land.
Either change the first period to a comma or add the first sentence to the end of the second. Both of these will make it into a run-on sentence, though, so condense a bit.

Fourteen men led by a tall man in silver plated armour destroyed the beautiful landscape with their footsteps as they made their way toward a cave by a riverside.
Men man. Footsteps are more of an abstract than a thing capable of destruction.
How about, "Fourteen soldiers, led by a tall man in silver plate armour, trampled the serene landscape as they made their way toward a cave by a riverside."
IMO, 'serene' makes the intrusion of the men more offensive than 'beautiful'.

The man in silver armour, along with four others of the front 6 menWhat's special about the other two front men? in the pyramid formation were knights, the others were travelling slayers with great skills in various fields. All of these men had devoted their lives to destroying the very<unnecessary creatures they were about to encounter. They had been preparing for this day use hyphens - this moment - their entire life. cutNo more than/cut ten feet from an old door of rotting wood at the entrance to the cave the man in silver armour held up an open left hand and stopped.
How about, "Ten feet from an old wooden door at the mouth of a cave, the silver knight help up his left hand to signal a halt."

The rest of the formation stopped behind him. He pointed to the door and made use of his perfectly enunciated, eloquent voice “Mr. Gray. If you will?”
Mr Gray, a slight and grey-robed man at the back of the formation walked around the group of men and up to the door. Crouching by the wooden doordoor door he took two cloth satchels from the multitude tied around his waist. Of the many different colours the two he selected were black and bright orange.
How about, "Crouching, he took two satchels from his belt. Of the many widely coloured bags, the two he selected were black and bright orange."

I'm too tired to do any more. I hope you are learning from some of these suggestions, or else my advice won't really help you.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 07:00:12 PM »

How about, "Fourteen soldiers, led by a tall man in silver plate armour, trampled the serene landscape as they made their way toward a cave by a riverside."

The "preposition a", "preposition a" thing kind of breaks the flow to me.  If one were a "the" instead of an "a" then maybe but still probably better as: "made their way to a riverside cave"  The sentence is already pretty long, after all.

As a general rule, I try to avoid doubling up the same types of prepositions (in this case, locational prepositions).  It's really easy to do but then you end up with things like "by a river under a bridge next to a dog by a leg on top of a fire..."  Not one definite anchor in the bunch and it just gets more dangly with each new link in the chain.

The corollary to this rule is that I think it's ok to mix different types (before, after, since, during) with (with, of, for, from) or locational like above (by, down, in, past, around, through, between, beside), etc.

Hmmm... I meant that to be a brief comment.  Suddenly I was remembering all of the prepositions I had to memorize in the 5th grade. Smiley
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 11:24:01 PM »

I feel the same way about "the riverside" better than "a riverside". But the question "What riverside?" would arise. (What kind of riverside)

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 11:49:26 PM »

I feel the same way about "the riverside" better than "a riverside". But the question "What riverside?" would arise. (What kind of riverside)

That was kind of my point.  Using "a" in this case is a valuable literary tool.  It signifies a sort of anonymity (if intended).  But too many in a row can feel a little weak.

It may just be personal opinion, I guess.  But every time I've replaced these sort of winding preposition chains I come up with something 10x better.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: