Mythruna
April 18, 2024, 04:49:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: won't even start(minecraft does thogh), using linux  (Read 20500 times)
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 04:54:50 PM »

What *I think* was the problem is that I already have libdrm_nouveau2.so, libdrm_nouveau2.so.2,and libdrm_nouveau2.so.2.0.0 but it doesn't find it. How do I point to these .so files so that it can find them & whatnot?
If they are located where they are supposed to be then I see no reason why the game can't find them. Perhaps it is due to another reason causing the files to not be found. :\

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
acridstone

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 05:46:50 PM »

@Sean:
How are Terasology's graphics and does it support slopes & what not?
Terasology's graphics are similar to Minecraft and essentially is is a Minecraft clone. But I tried Mythruna with Nouveau and I was only getting 15-30 fps with everything on the lowest settings using a GTX 560. So if you do get it working don't expect a smooth experience. Maybe if Torvalds gives Nvidia the love finger again Nvidia will be willing to release some code ;P
*like*
thx you just saved me hours of time trying to find this stupid cflag(as you have a much better video card and you have 30 fps max). Are there mobs & whatnot in Terasology? Is there crafting & whatnot? is it better than minetest-c55?
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 05:51:36 PM »

Yes, its better then Minetest... But there isn't much added to it yet (although it looks pretty xD). There aren't any mobs in Terasology, yet, but I believe the developers are planning on adding some in the future.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
acridstone

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 06:01:17 PM »

OH 5|-|y7!!! I used driconf and enabled "limited ARB_fragment_shader" and "enable stub ARB_occlusion_query" and it magically worked?!?!?!

nm it had like 0.5 fps(2 seconds per frame) oh well at least the dev knows that it is not a good idea to try to run it on a machine like this unless they have a pretty fast computer to make up for the lack of hardware acceleration(and at least I found something terasology).
acridstone

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 06:03:32 PM »

What *I think* was the problem is that I already have libdrm_nouveau2.so, libdrm_nouveau2.so.2,and libdrm_nouveau2.so.2.0.0 but it doesn't find it. How do I point to these .so files so that it can find them & whatnot?
If they are located where they are supposed to be then I see no reason why the game can't find them. Perhaps it is due to another reason causing the files to not be found. :\
not that it matters any-more,but its not that the game wasn't finding them its that mesa3d couldn't find them to compile properly.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 06:07:11 PM »

Ok. I'm glad it is all sorted out. Is there any reason why you are using nouveau instead of the proprietary driver?

acridstone

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 06:25:18 PM »

I DO NOT BELIEVE IN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY(I'm voting with my virtual feet)!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:26:49 PM by acridstone » Logged
acridstone

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 06:33:17 PM »

For documentation purposes, here are my logs:
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 06:46:06 PM »

I would love to be 100% open source, but since I am a "full time gamer" the proprietary video drivers are really the thing that has allowed me to remove windows completely.
Also, I heard that every time somebody switches to open source video drivers, Richard Stallman gains a pound. Wink

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 07:03:48 PM »

I would love to be 100% open source, but since I am a "full time gamer" the proprietary video drivers are really the thing that has allowed me to remove windows completely.
Also, I heard that every time somebody switches to open source video drivers, Richard Stallman gains a pound. Wink

LOL. Smiley

I half side with nVidia on this one.  I find it reasonable to believe that their drivers represent a significant investment and moreover that other graphics card companies would get a significant advantage getting to see them.  Even ignoring for a moment that I like to believe that nVidia's architecture is basically "put a super computer in the back plane and then write drivers to make it graphics"... companies like ATI have such atrocious drivers and someone still manage to sell cards.  I can't imagine if they learned a thing or two and could actually compete for real!

Then again, I abnormally love my nVidia cards.  The decent ones have always taken so much crap from me and come back for more.  ATI cards tend to fall over as soon as you do something that wasn't on a benchmark... and you are lucky if you even get an informational error.

Ok, maybe that was a little ranty. Smiley
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 07:07:39 PM »

I agree. AMD just doesn't take the time to polish their drivers... Their cards have the potential but it is pointless if they can't function properly.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 07:13:44 PM »

I agree. AMD just doesn't take the time to polish their drivers... Their cards have the potential but it is pointless if they can't function properly.

In AMD's defense... the drivers are now head and shoulders above what they used to be before ATI was bought by AMD.  ATI was the running joke of the OpenGL-using developer's industry for a long time.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 07:35:21 PM »

In AMD's defense... the drivers are now head and shoulders above what they used to be before ATI was bought by AMD.  ATI was the running joke of the OpenGL-using developer's industry for a long time.
Thats interesting to know because I still find AMD's drivers far from Nvidia's standards and I am too young to have used any ATI cards before AMD took over. Although I would prefer Nvidia any day, I don't want AMD to ever stop making cards in fear of a monopoly.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 07:44:32 PM »

Thats interesting to know because I still find AMD's drivers far from Nvidia's standards and I am too young to have used any ATI cards before AMD took over. Although I would prefer Nvidia any day, I don't want AMD to ever stop making cards in fear of a monopoly.

Yeah, the drivers are still subpar... but they used to be ridiculous.  They'd say they supported OpenGL but it was a big joke as no OpenGL apps would really run at all on ATI cards (for most of the first decade of the 2000 millennium.)  At least now it's possible to get OpenGL apps to run on them at decent speeds and stability... it's just painful sometimes.
Varatron

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 04:23:19 PM »

Think you have tha same problem as me .. "GLSL and OpenGL2 is required for the LWJGL renderer!"
I have same problem
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: