Mythruna
March 19, 2024, 02:37:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Posting Guidelines  (Read 14380 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2013, 12:54:50 PM »

Welcome
If you are new here then welcome to the forum.  We are a friendly bunch and always appreciate meeting new faces, so to speak.  Please don't let the below intimidate you in any way.  It is only meant to make for more thoughtful discussions that are on topic for the groups in which they are posted.

While there are few hard and fast rules for what you can and can't post to these forums, I thought it was necessary to spell those specific rules out as well as providing some general guidelines. 

In general, I think we are an extremely friendly community here and I don't want to get bogged down in rules... but it's also clear that good forum etiquette is not a universal skill.

Hard and fast rules:

1) Please keep it clean.  In many cases, profanity is in the eye of the beholder but in a large variety of cases it is not.  Please try to remember that some of the forum audience is preteen.

2) Do not verbally abuse other forum members.  A little ribbing here and there is fine but I think we all know what I'm talking about.  There is a line that can be crossed and please don't cross it.

3) Obvious spam will be deleted as soon as one of the moderators notices it.  Obvious spam includes things like posts that only contain ads for other products and services that are not related to Mythruna or gaming in any obvious way.  Mostly this hasn't been an issue because the spammers are all new posters, they spam 10 times, and I delete the spam and ban them.

General Posting Guidelines:

The community will look more kindly upon you if you follow a minimum amount of forum etiquette.  Beyond the above and similar rules, you can of course post whatever you want.  However, keep in mind that your posts are forming the rest of the community's impression of you.  Put your best foot forward.

Here are some helpful guidelines for positive contributions.  Ask yourself these questions before posting:
1) Is it coherent?
2) Have I done my research?
3) Will anyone care about it?
4) And more specifically, is it relevant to the discussion?  (for when responding to other topics)

If you answer "no" or "maybe" to any of those questions then instead of posting it, send the message to yourself as an e-mail.  We are all attached to our own thoughts and ideas.  It can be hard to part with them.  This way that "gold" won't be lost.  If you read it later and change your mind on any of the above questions then you can reconsider posting it.

The act of typing something up and then not sending it is a valuable tool that can carry with you through life.  There have been many coworkers throughout my career that I _never_ sent my first e-mail to.  I always typed up a second one and deleted the first one.  There have been one or two where I had to type a third.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: