Mythruna
April 24, 2024, 09:00:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Experimenting...  (Read 46607 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2013, 02:18:44 AM »

Since I'm rebuilding a lot of the engine from the ground up... sometimes I have some fun and experiment a little.

Shhhhhhhh...
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 03:06:56 AM »

Another pic better illustrating what might be going on:

belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 08:21:45 AM »

i like that this little test area seems to be floating above a mythruna world  Smiley looks neat.

So what your showing is that the light from the blocks isnt completely going through the wall?

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »

i like that this little test area seems to be floating above a mythruna world  Smiley looks neat.

So what your showing is that the light from the blocks isnt completely going through the wall?

What color are the lights? Wink

Is the lighting just a bunch of squares? Wink

Other than that, the light propagation is not much different than it used to be.  Walls could block light before, etc..
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 02:20:45 PM »

What color are the lights? Wink

Is the lighting just a bunch of squares? Wink

Other than that, the light propagation is not much different than it used to be.  Walls could block light before, etc..

Note: I wasn't trying to be mean above... just mysterious.  I reread it after some sleep and could read it either way.
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 03:28:22 PM »

My closest fun guess is water, lava, electricity.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 03:57:56 PM »

So, as many are already aware, Mythruna currently does not have "smooth lighting".  A particular empty space is basically just one light value.

I've been experimenting with smooth lighting to see if I can get it into the engine.  The current approach to doing it is also letting me support colored lights.  The above is just an extreme example using really saturated colors.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 05:22:05 PM »

this isn't that coherent, but I would like to ask a really important question:
You have so much into Mythruna, and do so much in one day, how often do you back up, and do you back it up to a flash drive, or disk?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 05:45:33 PM »

this isn't that coherent, but I would like to ask a really important question:
You have so much into Mythruna, and do so much in one day, how often do you back up, and do you back it up to a flash drive, or disk?

I keep it all on one old 486 machine that sits perched over a bucket of water on a rickety shelf.  Also, there's a leak over that shelf so whenever it rains, snows, or drizzles... or someone takes a shower, drops of water drip down through the case... but I have it positioned in just a way that the water mostly avoids the electronics.  Because of the water situation, I felt it would be too dangerous to put it on a UPS or a surge protector... it's raw unadulterated mains power for me, baby.  Wink

I have my source control spread over multiple RAID systems.  There is also a checked out version of the source wherever I happen to work.  Short of catastrophic failure of all parts of my house (total house fire, nuclear bomb, giant megasaur), the code is recoverable.  At worst, I lose the version history.  Short of burning to physical media and keeping it offsite or in a fire safe, there's not much I can do.

Though, if a megasaur comes and stomps my house, I don't think Mythruna source code will be top on my mind.
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 06:12:50 PM »

Nice to see this little factor coming along!
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 06:59:44 PM »

Nice to see this little factor coming along!

It's really hard not to just wholesale copy things from one directory to another... but sometimes I get some benefits by rethinking things as I port them to the plug-in framework.  I'm giving myself this weekend to see how far I get with a new geometry generator.

There is also another little surprise that I hope to get working for the next release.  I already have the basic code working but I'm not sure I can make it look right once the rest of the geometry is there.  I'm hopeful... and if it looks even halfway good it will be really cool.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »

its always the little things that can really push a game along  Smiley

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 11:45:59 PM »

its always the little things that can really push a game along  Smiley

Well, and this is kind of a big thing... but I want it to be a surprise. Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 12:13:25 AM »

Plugged colors into the real Mythruna lighting material:

So far the theory is sound.  I just need to see if I can keep the new lighting propagation code nice and tight.

The cool thing is that technically I could probably retrofit colors into the old system now... but without smooth lighting.  It's the smooth lighting that forced the propagation redesign.

FutureB
Donators

RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 12:40:52 AM »

looks and sounds good paul, does this mean the whole lighting would become more complex and have different materials depending on there matt to shininess reflecting different amounts or just reflecting different colours from the sunlight or is this just for say coloured glass lamp shades making colourfull lights

Say the opposite of these words:
1)Always.
2)Coming.
3)From.
4)Take.
5)Me.
6)Down.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: