Mythruna
April 18, 2024, 07:34:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Experimenting...  (Read 46550 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 12:58:24 AM »

looks and sounds good paul, does this mean the whole lighting would become more complex and have different materials depending on there matt to shininess reflecting different amounts or just reflecting different colours from the sunlight or is this just for say coloured glass lamp shades making colourfull lights

I could potentially do reflection... but it gets tricky to calculate quickly.  This lighting propagation is already a little more intense than the normal one though I've streamlined it in some other ways that will hopefully balance it out.

The smooth lighting thing will make the engine look much nicer overall.  I kept fearing that it was going to look really bad in comparison to all of the new fancy menus... so there will be a bit of a visual facelift on this and some other things.

The colored lights will let me make fire yellow, lava orange, magic lights white... as well as potentially having magic lights of different colors.  I can also have materials like water tint light a blue color when it passes through.  I wish that I could properly support colored glass because that would be really interesting for lighting.
G1ZMO
Donators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 04:23:42 AM »

Sound great Paul, looking forward to the update Smiley

What about different light intensities?

Paul

Castle G1ZmO of Scotland @ -219:569
Castle GiZmODo @ -700:623
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 08:29:05 AM »

looks and sounds good paul, does this mean the whole lighting would become more complex and have different materials depending on there matt to shininess reflecting different amounts or just reflecting different colours from the sunlight or is this just for say coloured glass lamp shades making colourfull lights

I could potentially do reflection... but it gets tricky to calculate quickly.  This lighting propagation is already a little more intense than the normal one though I've streamlined it in some other ways that will hopefully balance it out.

The smooth lighting thing will make the engine look much nicer overall.  I kept fearing that it was going to look really bad in comparison to all of the new fancy menus... so there will be a bit of a visual facelift on this and some other things.

The colored lights will let me make fire yellow, lava orange, magic lights white... as well as potentially having magic lights of different colors.  I can also have materials like water tint light a blue color when it passes through.  I wish that I could properly support colored glass because that would be really interesting for lighting.
Paul it would make my day if you could give water a reflective surface  Shocked

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »

You already have different light intensities.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 01:08:57 PM »

Haha, Small flame, Flame, I get it. Smiley . He meant different coloured light intensities because the example you showed with Mythruna materials seemed dark and dull. Less dull, more dark though.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »

Haha, Small flame, Flame, I get it. Smiley . He meant different coloured light intensities because the example you showed with Mythruna materials seemed dark and dull. Less dull, more dark though.

Yes, well, turn on a 100 watt blue light bulb in a room and see how dim/dull it looks... pretty dim, actually.  I have a dance floor in my basement with different banks of lights in various colors.  If you turn on just the blue lights or just the red lights, it really seems dark.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »

It's also brighter when you are right up in it instead of looking at it from an oblique angle... also, the block material helps a lot.  Blue light on brown is going to always be pretty dim... but on stone it's brighter.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »

It's also brighter when it's not pure blue... as one would expect:

That one is blue with a half-intensity white mixed in.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »

And to be thorough... what it would look like casting white light at the same intensity.

Should look like the familiar magic lights (same intensity) except now it's smooth.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 01:50:05 PM »

So many colors...
ayoriceball
Donators

Control Magic

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »

These updates just keep getting better and better.

From Bay12Forums
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
I have a skin, a potato has a skin, therefore, I'm God
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 10:15:31 PM »

These updates just keep getting better and better.
altogether. (Sponge-bob reference.

Edit: Gah D:| I forgot my 1000th post. Also, First user to make 1000 posts (That isn't the creator of course.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:20:40 PM by Moonkey » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 11:48:25 PM »

To really sort of drive the point home, I tried to setup a similar scene in the regular engine and take some comparison shots.

Here is regular magic light in the old engine:

And here is the smooth lighting version:

I'm still playing with the values of the second one but I need to wait until I have more of the geometry complete so that I can do proper comparisons.  Having a big sand block in the way instead of a little light block skews the whole view.
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 12:35:17 AM »

How strange... That looks like a different sand texture than the one now. Maybe my eyes are off...

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 01:04:48 AM »

How strange... That looks like a different sand texture than the one now. Maybe my eyes are off...

Should be the same texture... it's the same file.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: