Mythruna
April 24, 2024, 05:09:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Better near/far blending...  (Read 8901 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2013, 10:36:45 PM »

Better near/far blending (except the water): http://i.imgur.com/C2wVr77.jpg

For the water, I need to fix the refractive index first and then I will tune the background water to better match that.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:27:48 AM »

Getting closer...

Near seamless blend: http://i.imgur.com/D5eBZLW.jpg Need to mess with some things but it's promising.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:11:57 AM »

While I'm on the subject... something interesting about the new far horizon stuff...

This is a picture taken a few meters off from where I planned the new spawn point to be on the public server.  Same coordinates in my test world anyway.

From there you can see the big hill behind default spawn.  I've pointed to it in red.

This is neat because a) it's nice that we can see that far, and b) if you have an affinity for it the terrain starts to become recognizable even at a distance.

The new engine doesn't have a map feature yet but I can still find my way around as long as I'm within 1 km or so of spawn hill.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 04:13:53 AM »

i still say that this is the best thing you could do for the scenery aesthetics. the wideness of the world is just so... easily noticeable now.

also, i have no affinity toward that spawn point  Smiley i just like to walk around.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:20:27 AM »

i still say that this is the best thing you could do for the scenery aesthetics. the wideness of the world is just so... easily noticeable now.

also, i have no affinity toward that spawn point  Smiley i just like to walk around.

I meant an affinity for remembering terrain formations. Smiley  I agree about the wideness.  This is also going to let me have much bigger land masses.  I tried it before but they were too lame when you could only see 128 meters.  Now vast deserts and stuff are possible.

re: spawn location.  The plan is for the new engine to have the building layer added even if I'm not populating it with buildings yet.  If I do that then I will at minimum plop down the new spawn tower... which means spawn location will move in new worlds regardless.  But I think the algorithm ends up putting the tower on top of that big hill behind spawn.  It places the near-spawn town down in the valley to the south west.

At least that's what it did when I was playing with it before. Smiley
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 04:38:47 AM »

Now vast deserts and stuff are possible.
i got (good) chills picturing this  Cheesy vast "biomes" will really add something to mythruna that absolutely nothing else can.

re: spawn location.  The plan is for the new engine to have the building layer added even if I'm not populating it with buildings yet.  If I do that then I will at minimum plop down the new spawn tower
you mean your doing that... soon??? so does that mean we can move the spawn tower..?

moving our spawn... tis an outcome devoutly to be wished.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 11:24:29 AM »

Wow this looks wonderful! You're doing great work Paul!

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »

Getting closer...

Near seamless blend: http://i.imgur.com/D5eBZLW.jpg Need to mess with some things but it's promising.

In the top picture, I think the water looks too uniformly bright blue. The evening pics all look really great, though.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »

Getting closer...

May I ask what the giant pillars from the water are for?

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »

I was using them for something else a few months ago.  This is a copy of my test world so has various things laying around.

In this case, I was trying to judge distance of tiles versus whether I'd be able to see large physical objects there at a given distance... or how strange it would be for them to pop in.  I was trying to figure out how big to make one layer of physics zones.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: