Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 06:58:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: item questions  (Read 14181 times)
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:11:46 PM »

pspeed please answer the questions on this thread if you can.

what is the tier list for ores
what do you need first to start making magic devices

ill probably think up more questions later lol  Tongue

BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »

Paul hasn't yet released a "teir list", but the strengths of ores will probably be close to real-life.

From what I know, you would need the "magic crafting" skill (or whatever it's called) and gems to make the actual circuits.
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 07:51:33 PM »

Paul hasn't yet released a "teir list", but the strengths of ores will probably be close to real-life.

From what I know, you would need the "magic crafting" skill (or whatever it's called) and gems to make the actual circuits.
^ Seems Legit

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »

ok hmm this is probably a no but will their be tripy mushroom?  Tongue

ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:54:23 PM »

would it take longer to buy a decent melee wepon from a shop (assuming you have no money)
or to make one yourself (with no tool at first to help you?)

Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 02:36:54 AM »

would it take longer to buy a decent melee wepon from a shop (assuming you have no money)
Probably the making one yourself. Since you'll have to figure out how to smith correctly and you need all types of things.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:05:15 AM »

It sort of depends on what your starting skills are but it's bound to be easier to buy a basic sword than to make one.

You will start with a few coins and basic equipment just like in many D&D/RPG games.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 04:25:51 AM »

what is the tier list for ores

The list is not decided fully yet.  I have to see what metals/alloys I will support and then work backwards.  I think definitely bronze, brass, and steel.  This implies copper, tin, zinc, and iron.  I think I will simplify steel to be just carbon and iron but I may change my mind if I find another case for aluminum, chromium, etc..  It starts to get unwieldy.  It is just as likely that I will leave steel simple and come up with a new magic-sensitive metal/ore that can be mixed in steel or used on its own.

what do you need first to start making magic devices

Basic magic circuit skill and a couple tools and a whole bunch of materials.  The basic magic circuit skill will cover etching 2D wafers and embedding the circuits.  It does not allow you to reverse engineer other circuits.  Different skills and levels will let you lock a circuit such that reverse engineering at too low a level will fail and/or damage the circuit.  This may be one of the few cases of skill level escalation in the game because I need a way to lock a wafer at "infinite" level to handle the magic devices that are really code inside the engine and cannot ever be reverse engineered.  And it allows for trade secrets and so on.

If you do not know how to mine and cut the gems, etc. then you will end up having to buy a lot of premined and precut materials.  And gem mining and cutting is its own complex skill tree.

Magic materials are supposed to be black marble wafers, sand, glass, gems, and crystals.  Additional magi-mechanical linkages may be necessary to interface the wafer with whatever it is being installed in... and that may depend on the type of energies being used.  For example, electrifying a sword may require copper traces where as transferring some other type of energy may require diamond studs.

There may be additional magic creation skills for specific constructs.  Like, recently I was conceiving of a memory cell made of sand and diamond dust.  A diamond gem is the universal storage medium and can store all kinds of energy... but it's kind of tricky and expensive just for keeping the values of a magic combination lock.  So I got the idea that with the proper skill, a magic device creator could mix and arrange silica+diamond dust in such a way to store a single frequency value.  It's also nice because the value is recorded permanently at creation time instead of a regular gem which would store energy on the fly.  So you could make a combination lock where even someone reverse engineering it would have trouble figuring out the values easily (without quite a bit of experimenting).

There may be other skills for using specific types of energy and/or gem cuts in a circuit.  You might know that a step-cut can be used for combining energies but it would take a skill to know how to properly align a step-cut gem in a circuit.   ...and really, this gives me a chance to have easily digestable documentation (in your skill journal) while also making magic creation difficult to master.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:29:19 AM by pspeed » Logged
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 11:25:23 AM »

will you be able to craft anything from what you get off dragons if you kill them?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 12:06:41 PM »

will you be able to craft anything from what you get off dragons if you kill them?

Of course.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 12:30:37 PM »

here is a slightly morbid item question:

will you be able to craft stuff from npc corpse items like bones?
and will different races drop different corpse items like scales for reptilian and feathers for avian?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 12:49:30 PM »

and will different races drop different corpse items like scales for reptilian and feathers for avian?

Yeah, but avians don't have feathers and I don't know how useful reptilian "scales" will be.  It will just be like skin.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 12:55:52 PM »

Yeah, but avians don't have feathers and I don't know how useful reptilian "scales" will be.  It will just be like skin.
oh ya they have leathery wings right and reptilian scale armor  Cheesy

ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »

also pantherian and simian fur cloths and scarfs that auto aggro simians and pantherians  Tongue

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 01:13:55 PM »

Yeah, that's the long and the short of it.  If I implement this and you choose to skin other humanoid races and turn that into armor you can expect not to be able to wear it around other civilized people.  Human/simian cities will likely kick you out or imprison you and if you wore reptilian leather in a reptilian area then you can expect insta-death.

Life will be pretty uncomfortable.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: