Mythruna
April 24, 2024, 05:10:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam Greenlight on alpha?  (Read 7817 times)
xzardas

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2013, 03:26:07 PM »

Just as the title says. I know we have a bit of a road to go untill we reach alpha. But would you let the steam community vote for your game to get accepted as a steam game? And what would you probably ask for it?

In my oppinion $20-$25 would be a fair price.
because at the time it reaches alpha you have put in so much work and all the complexity of the game is so intensely explained over the forum, that if you make this all exactly true and well you could get a boatload of money off this. and $25 whould be a fair price. it would be more then worth it. (hell, i would be happy to pay $40 bucks for it if needed Tongue)

yeah right. Max 300; characters remaining: 254
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »

Paul said in a different thread that he likes the idea of Steam and would like to. The only possible issue is the mod store Paul wants to have, which would need to be separate from Steam.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:21:44 PM »

As said in another thread (maybe in the donator's group though), I'm keep an eye on steam. 

I still need to keep Mythruna.com logins because that's core to my long term strategy of the mod store where users can make their own content available for free/pay... and I just facility that transaction and take a cut.  Given that, I'd rather have N users at $15 than N/2 at $30, for example.

Anyway, post alpha the price may go up but I've been claiming alpha = $15 for too long to change it without a good reason.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:39:02 PM »

By the time Mythruna hits alpha, Greenlight might not even exist anymore. The Gaben wants to completely redo the way Steam distributes video games, and he said he doesn't really like the whole Greenlight system.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 07:01:39 PM »

Paul said in a different thread that he likes the idea of Steam and would like to. The only possible issue is the mod store Paul wants to have, which would need to be separate from Steam.
Mod Store? They already have something like that. Steam has a system(I forget it's name) where you can 'Subscribe' to a mod or texturepack or whatever, and it will automatically download/update and run! All you have to do from there is play the game!
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 10:54:21 PM »

Mod Store? They already have something like that. Steam has a system(I forget it's name) where you can 'Subscribe' to a mod or texturepack or whatever, and it will automatically download/update and run! All you have to do from there is play the game!

The Mythruna mod store will be a place where YOU (the players) can upload your mods.  If you choose to sell them for a fee then you can piggy back on the authentication and download/update system that will already be built into Mythruna.  So, players can go to Mythruna.com, click-buy their mods, and have them show up auto-installed into their game the next time they run.  Furthermore, servers will tell clients what mods they require and can potentially auto-enable them and so on.  The point is to make it as seamless as possible.

The hope is that eventually the store's cut of community driven DLC will help fund the game when regular game purchases slow down.  It's kind of the cornerstone of my long term strategy and I'm not sure it's compatible with letting someone else take all of the fees.

I may look into selling the client on Steam but it would somehow still have to come back to accounts on Mythruna.com.

And anyway, this is all kind of putting the cart a few miles ahead of the horse.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 04:56:30 PM »

The Mythruna mod store will be a place where YOU (the players) can upload your mods.  If you choose to sell them for a fee then you can piggy back on the authentication and download/update system that will already be built into Mythruna.  So, players can go to Mythruna.com, click-buy their mods, and have them show up auto-installed into their game the next time they run.  Furthermore, servers will tell clients what mods they require and can potentially auto-enable them and so on.  The point is to make it as seamless as possible.

The hope is that eventually the store's cut of community driven DLC will help fund the game when regular game purchases slow down.  It's kind of the cornerstone of my long term strategy and I'm not sure it's compatible with letting someone else take all of the fees.

I may look into selling the client on Steam but it would somehow still have to come back to accounts on Mythruna.com.

And anyway, this is all kind of putting the cart a few miles ahead of the horse.
Maybe you're also thinking of putting the Mythruna mod shop in-game?

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 06:01:05 PM »

Maybe you're also thinking of putting the Mythruna mod shop in-game?

Possibly but there are numerous complications I would have to work through.  Web browsers are already setup with the authentication and security necessary to make it work.  Duplicating all of that in game is tricky.  I either write it all myself or use a browser plugin of some kind and pull all of that baggage in.

It's extremely desirable, though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: