Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 10:37:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: skills questions  (Read 21602 times)
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2013, 12:36:54 PM »

now for the fourth installment in my series of question topics lol  Tongue
can you learn new skill by using other skills that are related to them
example learn iron smelting by smelting copper a lot?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »

now for the fourth installment in my series of question topics lol  Tongue
can you learn new skill by using other skills that are related to them
example learn iron smelting by smelting copper a lot?

Nope.  Just like you can't learn to drive a car by riding a bike a lot.

Smelting iron and smelting copper are two completely different things.  There might be some earlier skills that are common to both but the actual smelting of each is very different.  Medieval iron smelting is actually a quite interesting topic if you choose to look it up sometime.  There are even people (in Europe or the Netherlands or something) that run a medieval style iron smelter... bunch of neat pictures and stuff.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 01:05:23 PM »

fighting style skills that allow the player to do special moves in combat?
example dragon fighting style using metal claw glove things i forget what they're called allows you to do dragon slash: a claw slash deep into the enemies gut
this can work with no levels if after your trained in the skill all them moves are instantly unlocked
also it works with no turns if you perform them by doing a combo in combat

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 01:29:41 PM »

fighting style skills that allow the player to do special moves in combat?
example dragon fighting style using metal claw glove things i forget what they're called allows you to do dragon slash: a claw slash deep into the enemies gut
this can work with no levels if after your trained in the skill all them moves are instantly unlocked
also it works with no turns if you perform them by doing a combo in combat

Hmmm... sounds more like a "click to roll the dice" style combat game... like in many other RPGS.  Mythruna combat is not planned to work that way.

There will be skills related to combat but they won't be of the type you describe.

For example, you might be able to learn sword fighting stances that you can switch between and that will give you more options to go to when your sword stops moving.  If you only know one stance then you have to wait to come back to rest before you attack again where as a variety of stances might let you chain attacks together.  Like, if all you know is a high grip/overhead resting position then when you strike down you will have to wait for your sword to come back to that position before you can get a good attack in again.  Whereas if you know a low stance then your sword will return to that resting position faster (presuming you switched to it) and you can potentially get an upswing parry in before your next attack.

As much as possible, combat will be player skill based, ie: you bring to the game your own hand-eye coordination.  In-game skills will augment that interface. 

In some cases, being really good (as a player) at a style of combat may negate the need for a skill.  For example, for shooting a bow you will have to line up a few things to get the arrow to go where you want.  If you get a marksman skill, it may provide you with some nice indicators to help you line things up... but if you were already good at lining things up then the marksman skill doesn't really do much for you.  Though the next levels of marksman skill might be... then it's worth acquiring.  (Maybe level 2 provides an indicator on the path the arrow will theoretically travel... maybe level 3 adjusts that for perceived wind.)  If you were already really good at aiming then other skills might be more appropriate to spend your time/money/quests on.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 01:51:58 PM »

*Spams LMB* AW YEAH! I BEAT YA! <----I hate that.

*Spams LMB* WHY ISN'T THE SWORD SPAMMING MY ENEMY!? <--- I love that.

THANK YOU PAUL! I can't wait to play with fighting once you get it done. But yeah, I think if I'm very skillful(not my character) and I fight my brother who is not very skillful, yet his character is level 9001, I would still be able to beat him. Of course it would be very straining on me, and my brother would REALLLLY have to NOT know what he's doing ETC...

Quick question... If I'm fighting a guy with a flimsy spear, can I use my sword to cut his wooden hilt off, therefor leaving him with just a stick and making the spearhead fall to the ground? That would be awesome. Then comes advanced super-weapons that have 'back-ups' :3.... oh gawd, I need a drawing board so I can make those types of weapons! "Haha! I've disarmed you!" *Pushes button and watches as it shoots the enemy down, dead* "Haha! I've disarmed you!"
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »

*Spams LMB* AW YEAH! I BEAT YA! <----I hate that.

*Spams LMB* WHY ISN'T THE SWORD SPAMMING MY ENEMY!? <--- I love that.

THANK YOU PAUL! I can't wait to play with fighting once you get it done. But yeah, I think if I'm very skillful(not my character) and I fight my brother who is not very skillful, yet his character is level 9001, I would still be able to beat him. Of course it would be very straining on me, and my brother would REALLLLY have to NOT know what he's doing ETC...

There are no levels, but I understand what you mean.  If he was loaded up with skills and you weren't.

Quick question... If I'm fighting a guy with a flimsy spear, can I use my sword to cut his wooden hilt off, therefor leaving him with just a stick and making the spearhead fall to the ground? That would be awesome. Then comes advanced super-weapons that have 'back-ups' :3.... oh gawd, I need a drawing board so I can make those types of weapons! "Haha! I've disarmed you!" *Pushes button and watches as it shoots the enemy down, dead* "Haha! I've disarmed you!"

Yeah, sword meets wood... with the right force, should be able to cut the wood.  Keep in mind that the physics of this is not as straight forward as you think.

For one thing, we're talking hardened wood.  For another, it is being held by a person and the leverage is not in your favor.  Most of the force your sword imparts to the spear will just deflect the spear.  The person holding it at the small end of the fulcrum does not have the leverage to hold it solid enough to support such a clear cut.  You might make a small gouge in it but mostly you are just knocking it away.

If for some crazy reason the person was swing the spear like a sword in the opposite direction then maybe.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »

Ahh, okay. Don't forget I said flimsy, I meant like really rotted or damaged or just a really stupid weapon. Anyway, thanks! Any idea how long a well crafted sword might last? I've heard that swords actually don't last very long, so a single fight could actually destroy the sword if you hit the enemy's weapon enough, or miss and hit that tree behind him several times...
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »

will there be different combat skills for a weapon that give you different bonus for using said weapon in combat? 

Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »

will there be different combat skills for a weapon that give you different bonus for using said weapon in combat? 
Like an ice element weapon or fire element weapon?

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 02:43:17 PM »

What kind of bonus?  A bonus to a non-existent dice roll?

Or do you mean like magic properties?
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 03:27:56 PM »

in terms of like parrying power and blade control

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 03:59:13 PM »

Your strength is your power and you (the player) control the blade.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 04:04:58 PM »

wait strength does that mean the player has level rpgish stats?

Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »

I suggest waiting and seeing exactly what Paul has up his sleeve. Anyway, nothing is set in stone as it is only the pre-alpha stage.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »

I suggest waiting and seeing exactly what Paul has up his sleeve. Anyway, nothing is set in stone as it is only the pre-alpha stage.
Yeah. If us not being able to talk or know what Paul's up to for a week means he'll release this Alpha sooner, I'd say "HEY PAUL! Ignore everything we say until you have that Alpha done and ready for us!" :3... It would be so worth it..... sadly though, if this was the case, then how much of a difference would it make?
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: