Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 05:27:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Groovy?  (Read 10105 times)
PrivateAlpha

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2013, 09:21:53 AM »

Just wondering about the reasons for choosing groovy?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »

Just wondering about the reasons for choosing groovy?

Because it's easy to pick up if you know Java, integrates with Java well, and allows easily extending the language into DSLs.
PrivateAlpha

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:11:52 AM »

Hmm, how well would bukkit plugins like logblock/worldedit (The BIG ones) work in groovy? Will there be the option to make plugins with java?

In other words, will we be able to make large plugins without affecting the servers performance?
nh_99
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »

Hmm, how well would bukkit plugins like logblock/worldedit (The BIG ones) work in groovy? Will there be the option to make plugins with java?

In other words, will we be able to make large plugins without affecting the servers performance?
Groovy has slow performance when it starts(is initialized) but after that it runs all right. I think that it should be able to run plugins pretty good but Paul may be able to give you a better answer. In most Java games you can just mod it with class files(the java code) and I would assume it works with Mythruna but you will need a more advanced understanding and you will also need to know how to use jMonkeyEngine some too.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »

Someone did make a worldedit-like plugin: CubeChange by Gara
nh_99
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »

I almost mentioned that but I decided not to because that just adds or removes cubes, worldedit has a lot more advanced features that could cause performance loss.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »

I almost mentioned that but I decided not to because that just adds or removes cubes, worldedit has a lot more advanced features that could cause performance loss.
Well yeah, but worldedits' main goal is to change blocks in the game.
GaraQuor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 08:54:32 AM »

Heuu ... I don't have the programming level of the world-edit creator ^^
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:17:07 AM by gara » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:04:58 AM »

The plugin boiler plate needs to be groovy but it just runs to register callbacks and stuff during init.  Instead of registering groovy code/closures, you can register regular java classes.  It's just a bit more manual.  That's mostly what the groovy API is doing, adapting the groovy code blocks to the right java interfaces.
PrivateAlpha

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 09:36:41 AM »

Awesome, thanks for the info
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: