Mythruna
April 18, 2024, 01:01:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Character Backgrounds...  (Read 29128 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »

I'm putting this here so it doesn't fly away and I'm not sure I want to sticky it in "General"... I may move it later.

For the "role players" in the crowd, I'm curious what kind of characters you will play.  I'm toying with the idea of allowing players to create a rudimentary back story for their characters during character creation.  Where they grew up, if they were an orphan, occupations of their parents, etc..  I may use this information for "stuff" and so if I add it to the character creator it will be a sort of decision tree of options, some with some customization.

I have old notes from one of these I started building too long ago to mention... and about a half-dozen different pen-and-paper RPG game systems to draw ideas from... but still... it would be nice to know if I'm hitting the things people will actually use.

So, if you could, maybe describe a potential character's background in some relatively general terms.  I can't promise to use all of it (or any of it for that matter) but it still might be a fun exercise.

Please limit discussions to actual character bios as much as possible.  If things get too far off from what I'm looking for then I may post a few of my own.  I don't think I ever played a computer RPG character without imagining at least a minimal back story for them.

Thanks!
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 03:55:12 PM »

I would think a bios for characters would be a cool feature, but I think you should not have it go into much detail, or have a section for the other info input, and maybe have it be optional.

Oh! And if the player doesn't have a bios you could probably get the engine to auto-generate one Smiley
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 06:07:24 PM »

I would think a bios for characters would be a cool feature, but I think you should not have it go into much detail, or have a section for the other info input, and maybe have it be optional.

Oh! And if the player doesn't have a bios you could probably get the engine to auto-generate one Smiley

...and... the first response is off topic. :-/
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »

Did i not read it right? Or did you not understand? LOL
by 'bios' I meant 'character back-story' Smiley
Sorry for the confusion.

Got this answer from:
I'm toying with the idea of allowing players to create a rudimentary back story for their characters during character creation.

and I say I will mainly play as a Human or a Reptilian from this:
For the "role players" in the crowd, I'm curious what kind of characters you will play.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:58:58 PM »

So, if you could, maybe describe a potential character's background in some relatively general terms.  I can't promise to use all of it (or any of it for that matter) but it still might be a fun exercise.

Please limit discussions to actual character bios as much as possible.  If things get too far off from what I'm looking for then I may post a few of my own.  I don't think I ever played a computer RPG character without imagining at least a minimal back story for them.
I think he wanted this thread to be just "actual character bios", shzylo. I'll give it a go:

Eldarin wasn't always an outcast. He also wasn't always as good at being a ranger as he is now. He was born to normal elf parents, many years ago, in a forest town named Sweetwater. He learned the ways of Sunlight and magic through his community for much of his childhood, and was well liked by everyone. Though, for some reason, one day Eldarin left his hometown. No one knows exactly why he left. Some say the elves were too inactive in the worlds affairs for him. Others say he saw a human maiden in a passing caravan and fell in love. Others still say he was just a restless spirit that needed adventure. Whatever the case, he left Sweetwater, and started taking jobs suited to that of a ranger. He earned a reputation for always getting the job done, and so not many people turn away this kind wanderer's aid. This is the story of Eldarin.

... I made this up pretty quickly  Grin sorry if its a bit much.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 07:15:55 PM »

Did i not read it right? Or did you not understand? LOL
by 'bios' I meant 'character back-story' Smiley
Sorry for the confusion.

Got this answer from:
I'm toying with the idea of allowing players to create a rudimentary back story for their characters during character creation.

and I say I will mainly play as a Human or a Reptilian from this:
For the "role players" in the crowd, I'm curious what kind of characters you will play.

Well, I said right in the original post: "Please limit discussions to actual character bios as much as possible."

See... I even used the word "bios"... but I don't think you read it. :-/
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 07:16:59 PM »

Aww yeah. I have quite a few characters, I'll list their names here, but I'll start a bio for one of them.

Names:
Minaki Taiyō
Kassy Jenica Taiyō
Maosu Kikoeru Taiyō
Josia Shiryoku Taiyō
Naoto Tsuyo-sa Taiyō

Just to name a few. Their all related (What a shocker!) and have very specific names. Minaki and Kassy were both some of my first characters, so their middle name is either lacking, or unoriginal (Respectively).

Maosu is the sister of twelve other siblings, all of which have amazing powers and feats. Maosu's siblings were all born at the same time, only minutes apart, being the rarest case ever known to any race. Everyone in Maosu's family are of different racial backgrounds, her own is that of a Human. She is twenty three years old, has light blue eyes and blond hair. She is Average size, at exactly 6 ft 1⁄2 in. She wears simple clothing and dresses, made normally of plain colors, like white, and rough materials... she doesn't like to be weighed down.

Maosu is also an Illusionist, she loves to play pranks on people who walk by, or who seem very depressed, as an attempt to bring their mood up as well as her own. She loves to hang our with her brother Naoto and sister Josia. She see's Kassy, a granddaughter, regularly, and teaches her some magic tricks. Maosu tends to be very hyper at times, and very rarely serious. She loves to hang around big cities, running around on rooftops and looking inside random people's windows... maybe taking a loaf of bread once in awhile.

Maosu's 'older' sister, Josia, tends to be her 'caretaker' by paying for things she breaks, or 'borrows'. Josia is quite the opposite of Maosu, as she is very serious at times and is very kept and tidy. Naoto acts as an older brother, though Maosu is still older by about a minute. Naoto gets very angry, but works as a guard to the city and his sister. Maosu loves to hang out with both siblings, as well as race with Josia and prank Naoto's co-workers.

I never eve thought about the differences between a few minutes off or not, so this is the first time I've said Maosu is older than Naoto. Though I kind of hinted as Josia being an older sister. :3...
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 07:18:30 PM »

So, if you could, maybe describe a potential character's background in some relatively general terms.  I can't promise to use all of it (or any of it for that matter) but it still might be a fun exercise.

Please limit discussions to actual character bios as much as possible.  If things get too far off from what I'm looking for then I may post a few of my own.  I don't think I ever played a computer RPG character without imagining at least a minimal back story for them.
I think he wanted this thread to be just "actual character bios", shzylo. I'll give it a go:

Eldarin wasn't always an outcast. He also wasn't always as good at being a ranger as he is now. He was born to normal elf parents, many years ago, in a forest town named Sweetwater. He learned the ways of Sunlight and magic through his community for much of his childhood, and was well liked by everyone. Though, for some reason, one day Eldarin left his hometown. No one knows exactly why he left. Some say the elves were too inactive in the worlds affairs for him. Others say he saw a human maiden in a passing caravan and fell in love. Others still say he was just a restless spirit that needed adventure. Whatever the case, he left Sweetwater, and started taking jobs suited to that of a ranger. He earned a reputation for always getting the job done, and so not many people turn away this kind wanderer's aid. This is the story of Eldarin.

... I made this up pretty quickly  Grin sorry if its a bit much.
oh lol xD
My turn;

Zaos, of the Reptilian species, born in the midst of war. His life is war, fighting until the death. Zaos' mother's name is Munith, died at the birth of Zaos. His father, Darth, was the one who trained him. Zaos' specialty is Taekwondo. He is fair and kind until he enters war. At that point of time, he is full of blood lust and he will fight 'til the death. The reptilian tribe is normally peaceful, trying to not cause wars, but they have always had a fierce disagreement with the Avians. The reptilians were able to invade the avians' tribal town, stealing their technological knowledge they built some ships, and Zaos volunteered to be one of the travelers to test the ship travel. While in the middle of his trip, an avian shot down one of the main engines, sending the ship going down. With a crash it landed, leaving Zaos with no memory and all of the other passengers dead.. Zaos now has to find materials on his own

MYTHRUNA - What Will Your Story Be?
bruhmis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 08:15:19 AM »

I think he was looking for more vague bios than these.

Example:

race: half breed orc/reptile
birth: Slave
God: none
home: fortress in marshlands where nonhumans are captured and sold as slaves
political alignment: nonhuman resistance army
unique traits: decreased effects of hunger, advanced crafting knowledge.

it's important to keep in mind that he has to somehow figure out how to code this into the game, so a paragraph describing someone's life isn't going to help.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 08:39:20 AM »

Example:

it's important to keep in mind that he has to somehow figure out how to code this into the game, so a paragraph describing someone's life isn't going to help.

You are both right and wrong, actually. Smiley  You are right that what you gave is closer to what I need.  However, it's also helpful to see the other things that people have written.  I don't mind if people choose a more verbose path.

Many touch on the same things just in narrative form and I can see what players find significant to define their characters... and maybe I see something that I wouldn't have put in a form.

I may formalize it into a more structured question later and we can reshuffle.
bruhmis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »

Example:

You are both right and wrong, actually. Smiley  You are right that what you gave is closer to what I need.  However, it's also helpful to see the other things that people have written.  I don't mind if people choose a more verbose path.

Many touch on the same things just in narrative form and I can see what players find significant to define their characters... and maybe I see something that I wouldn't have put in a form.

I may formalize it into a more structured question later and we can reshuffle.

so if you get a significant amount of feedback, will the bios people give influence other parts of the game such as locations, factions, races etc.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »

so if you get a significant amount of feedback, will the bios people give influence other parts of the game such as locations, factions, races etc.

Probably not.  I mean, you never know but I'm more looking at how to tie a player-character into the world that will exist and potentially set them up with starting skills, initial maps, etc..  I also have to consider how modders will hook into this to add their own customizations and so on.

The world itself is random and the races are already decided... so there is only so much that can be moved around.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 01:38:34 PM »

wait arent the players extra demension beings how can they have bios?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 02:56:13 PM »

wait arent the players extra demension beings how can they have bios?

Because you make them up as part of creating your character.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 03:27:24 PM »

I was imagining Paul's way of an in-game backstory is like how Mount&Blade has it. "Your dad was a *selection here*" "You worked your early life as a *selection here*"

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: