Mythruna
April 28, 2024, 08:22:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My School is sad..  (Read 8311 times)
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »

My school is sad.
only like 0.8% of the people there know how to program.
The main computer person up there doesn't know how to program..
Two teachers, Two students,
That are actually programmers, not web design.
I am one of the students, a Java programmer.
I don't know the other student,
The first teacher can program in C++,
The other one programs in C.

Oh, and today, my math teacher gave me a Pre-Algebra CD to borrow for the summer, she told me to return it in August. I am returning it tomorrow because I just copied the files off of the CD.

And I figured out how to make hidden files visible Smiley
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:05:50 PM »

"Hidden files" I figured that out ages ago. (probably 2 years Haha) It's not sad, they're learning. You're just 'special' Cheesy... Kekeke.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 06:07:34 PM »

"Hidden files" I figured that out ages ago. (probably 2 years Haha) It's not sad, they're learning. You're just 'special' Cheesy... Kekeke.
It took me 2 seconds to look up and find out..

Mentally special..
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »

At least your school has the option for programming. Don't see it as sad, consider it as a step toward more progress
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:55:13 PM »

At least your school has the option for programming. Don't see it as sad, consider it as a step toward more progress

Tongue I've been talking to one of the teachers about how our school needs a computer science teacher to teach programming, but he is a novice at C++, as I am a novice at Java. And most kids would be like "Oh, that will be so easy." then when they actually start learning it they will be like "I don't even understand how to make the program print out to the console."
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »

Tongue I've been talking to one of the teachers about how our school needs a computer science teacher to teach programming, but he is a novice at C++, as I am a novice at Java. And most kids would be like "Oh, that will be so easy." then when they actually start learning it they will be like "I don't even understand how to make the program print out to the console."
I can tell you won't be a teacher. Understand that these are the steps to learning, young grasshopper. They won't (shouldn't) teach a crucial step after teaching something that requires that crucial step.

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 08:27:54 PM »

I can tell you won't be a teacher. Understand that these are the steps to learning, young grasshopper. They won't (shouldn't) teach a crucial step after teaching something that requires that crucial step.
Tongue

Yeah, I know they won't let me teach.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:04:31 PM »

It's mind boggling that schools that are designed to prepare us for our futures neglect to notice the demand, importance, and future opportunities of programming... The closest thing my school has to programming is HTML and the person teaching it is majorly unqualified.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »

It's mind boggling that schools that are designed to prepare us for our futures neglect to notice the demand, importance, and future opportunities of programming... The closest thing my school has to programming is HTML and the person teaching it is majorly unqualified.

Man, I learned HTML, and CSS when I was 12, started in March of 2012.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 09:39:09 PM »

I think if you live closer to tech centers then the schooling is better.  My kids' school they have a smartboard in every classroom and my daughter (in first grade) already goes to computer lab as one of her "specials" (like music, art, gym, etc.)  Of course the county I live in is one of the best in the country (no accident on my part).

My wife an I were kind of lamenting the other night that when we were kids you just knew how to ride a two-wheeler and do cartwheels and stuff as part of being a kid.  My kid's have been in kid-gymnastics for like a year before they can do a proper cartwheel.  And neither of them can ride a two-wheeler without training wheels.

...but we forget sometimes all of the other stuff they have access to that we never had.  My son is almost the age I was when I first had access to a computer to program on and he's already had a game maker class.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 09:44:52 PM »

I think if you live closer to tech centers then the schooling is better.  My kids' school they have a smartboard in every classroom and my daughter (in first grade) already goes to computer lab as one of her "specials" (like music, art, gym, etc.)  Of course the county I live in is one of the best in the country (no accident on my part).

My wife an I were kind of lamenting the other night that when we were kids you just knew how to ride a two-wheeler and do cartwheels and stuff as part of being a kid.  My kid's have been in kid-gymnastics for like a year before they can do a proper cartwheel.  And neither of them can ride a two-wheeler without training wheels.

...but we forget sometimes all of the other stuff they have access to that we never had.  My son is almost the age I was when I first had access to a computer to program on and he's already had a game maker class.
The memories and the things you can think of when you just sit there.. I taught my art teacher today how to uninstall a program on windows..
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 12:12:43 AM »

I agree Paul, I keep sitting thinking about how growing up I ran around outside, played backyard football, rode my bike everywhere, didn't even have a cell phone until 18 and out of the house... Not even a pager lol... But thinking back we didn't have this things because they simply were not around.

And I don't live in the nicest area so just letting my kids explore the town scares me to death lol but that will change if I ever actually find a programming job that doesnt need experience to get hired as an entry level anything. Michigan is horrible for programming unless you want to work in Detroit...and I don't really want to work there, we are looking to move out of state once I graduate, just not sure where... For now Georgia looks good
Moonkey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »

I go to school online, so it's technology all around. It has 3D modelling, Game design (Using MMF2 (Multi media fusion 2)), and digital arts. Closest to programming at my school would be game design.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: