Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 07:40:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I disassemble my old laptop?  (Read 6655 times)
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:11:08 AM »

I am trying to make a bit of money and I have this old 2000 dell laptop, that its battery is dead and I am asking the community if it would be worth taking apart and selling some of the old pieces, like the hard drive, motherboard, and the other stuff that is useful.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:30:01 AM »

You might poke around on ebay and see what the parts go for as opposed to a full laptop with dead battery.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »

I put my old Dell Inspiron laptop with a 1.6 ghz CPU and 512 mbs of RAM to work by making it into a Halo CE dedi server and even a torrent downloader on the rare occasion. All I am saying is that you might not know when an outdated lappy might come in handy. But it's funny that your Dell's battery is dead... Mine has gone through two batteries and is currently running without one at all.. -_-

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »

I put my old Dell Inspiron laptop with a 1.6 ghz CPU and 512 mbs of RAM to work by making it into a Halo CE dedi server and even a torrent downloader on the rare occasion. All I am saying is that you might not know when an outdated lappy might come in handy. But it's funny that your Dell's battery is dead... Mine has gone through two batteries and is currently running without one at all.. -_-

Yeah, we forget sometimes that they are consumables.

A fully functioning laptop may be worth more than the sum of its parts.  On the other hand, if it's the kind of laptop that everyone wants to hold onto then there might be a good market for parts and it could be worth more disassembled.

I know I have a few synths that I could part out for 4-6x what I originally paid for them. Smiley
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 01:17:54 PM »

Well, the reason why the battery is dead is because the charger broke, somewhere inside is a broken wire that is looping itself, but the plastic, rubber, whatever the cord is made of isn't broken at all.
It is also a Dell Inspiron, but it isn't 2000, its 2002.

I have the following CD's for it:
Operating System - Windows XP Home Edition ( + Service Pack 1 )
Drivers and Utilities - Reinstalling Dell Inspiron Computer Software
Drivers and Utilities - Reinstalling V.92/57K Telephony Data/Fax Modem Sofware
Application - Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.2 Basic
Application - Dell Tools System Software
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: