Mythruna
April 30, 2024, 01:06:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: What cheap graphics card can I get to run Mythruna?  (Read 23586 times)
Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2013, 11:59:21 PM »

(I moved the "Why does Mythruna require superior graphics cards" discussion to here because it got really off topic)

I need a good insight from Mythruna players with OpenGL 2.0 compatible graphics cards to tell me what range of G.Cards I should look at.

My HP Pavillion has 512 MB of RAM, and for some reason the G.Card must have 2 GB of space because I've seen my memory peak at 2.14 GB when attempting to run a PS2 Emulator. I'll also respect insight about that, because that if I really don't have 2 GB's of space, then I may end up overpaying.

It's whether this, or swindling one of my friend's graphics cards, he doesn't really use his laptop much and his memory is like, 4 GB, but I digress... Wink

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:32:12 AM »

My HP Pavillion has 512 MB of RAM

Your computer seriously only has 512 MB or RAM?

...problematic.  A graphics card is only going to go so far, I think.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 05:54:31 AM »

You're either behind with computer tech these days... Or you're just busy these days. Haha. The cheapest card I can think of in our house that can run Mythruna is an Intel HD card. Or an Nvidia GTX 7500 that can barely run it. (you have to type /flora low to get it from 2 fps to 40 fps.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:26:14 AM »

Are you saying you want to replace your laptops graphics card?
Anyway if it is a desktop PC I recommend going to Newegg and looking for graphics cards on sale or something. I got a fanless 2 gig GTX Geforce 610 for $25 after a rebate for my server PC.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »

Anyway if it is a desktop PC I recommend going to Newegg and looking for graphics cards on sale or something. I got a fanless 2 gig GTX Geforce 610 for $25 after a rebate for my server PC.

So, does that work well with Mythruna?

P.S. I have an HP Pavilion A1020N with a 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family.

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:45:59 PM »

P.S. I have an HP Pavilion A1020N with a 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family.

A GTX 610 should be way fast.  I run 460s and they are great.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:48:44 PM »

It does, but as Paul said, the graphics card only goes so far. 512 mb of RAM is never good for java VM applications.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:53:01 PM »

Correction on my part, it is a Geforce GT 610. Made for HTPC's mostly but the one I bought is what ASUS considers a 'corporate stable model'.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 12:53:23 PM »

It does, but as Paul said, the graphics card only goes so far. 512 mb of RAM is never good for java VM applications.

It's fine for Java... but not fine for Mythruna.  Average running size for Mythruna at default clip is over a gig.  If you tweak your start up settings then you could get it down to 512 if you keep the clip at 64 meters... but now your OS (which is already taking a good deal of your 512) won't be very happy.

If you can upgrade the RAM then you should try... it's pretty cheap, relatively speaking.  2 gig would be pretty comfortable.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »

Correction on my part, it is a Geforce GT 610. Made for HTPC's mostly but the one I bought is what ASUS considers a 'corporate stable model'.

Ah, that makes a bit more sense.  The GTX cards are really good.  I don't know about the GT level.

How is it running for you?
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 12:56:22 PM »

I'll look into that, thanks for the info.
Here is why I am confused about my RAM.

Edit: I am trying to post a desktop printscreen of task manager, how do I post images?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:58:33 PM by Stickman Sham » Logged

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 01:05:52 PM »

I'll look into that, thanks for the info.
Here is why I am confused about my RAM.

Edit: I am trying to post a desktop printscreen of task manager, how do I post images?

Step 1: Go to http://imgur.com
Step 2: upload your image there.
Step 3: post the link here
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 01:09:20 PM »

1.56 GB is being used... where is that coming from?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »

1.56 GB is being used... where is that coming from?

Swap.  Uses the file system to store what it can't in RAM.  Your hard drive is probably churning constantly under this load.

Imagine if you could pop a couple 1 gig chips in how much easier your machine would breathe. Smiley
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 03:44:11 PM »

Its decided. I'll invest in a Geforce GT 610 and a couple of 1 gig RAM chips, because my memory idles over 512MB. As I type, its using 759 MB due to Google chrome. Then, i'll finally run Mythruna and love my life.  Wink
Thanks for the info, it helped alot. Grin
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:57:01 PM by Stickman Sham » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: