Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 01:59:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Creepy combat-based idea...  (Read 17741 times)
Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2013, 07:16:34 PM »

Have you ever explored the dark and scary areas of your base or house at night, afraid that something is going to be waiting for you around the corner? Well, I have an idea for the combat system coming out. Maybe, at night in certain areas of your base/house, shadowy enemies with glowing eyes wait for you, and attack for you when you least expect it. That sounds like a pretty solid idea, and even if the enemy had to take simple paths, it seems like novel little idea to me.

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:38:59 PM »

Maybe as a mod.  It sounds kind of fun but doesn't really fit some of my main "game design rules" for Mythruna.

Mainly it defies the rule that the player should be at least relatively aware that they are entering into danger when there is the possibility of attack... or at least be able to learn to spot the signs.  Your base should be a place of relative safety if properly secured... so either (by my own rules) any creatures would have to be so far nerfed that they'd be more of a nuisance than interesting.

...though I'm not above the idea of ghosts if you built your house on top of a town you burned to the ground or something. Smiley
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 08:56:10 PM »

Yeah, or even if you murdered somebody, they will haunt you until you have to do something for it to stop. That makes sense  Wink

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
theamericono

AMERICA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:04:40 PM »

that kinda sounds like a nusence to have ghost thought because some times i just want to go through a slaughter a whole town of people with not repercussions in game of course and having ghost would be very helpful unless there was like a random like 1/500 chance of a ghost
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »

Maybe if it were just dark areas of you're house that you haven't lit yet... but I think that would take alot of time to make the game recognize darkness.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 03:33:20 PM »

Maybe if it were just dark areas of you're house that you haven't lit yet... but I think that would take alot of time to make the game recognize darkness.

No, the game understands darkness.  The other problem is that a million Minecrafters would show up at my doorstep with pixelated torches and pitch forks to tar and feather me for directly copying a Minecraft feature. Wink
theamericono

AMERICA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 03:38:12 PM »

lololol Cheesy
X3n0ph083

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 10:25:18 AM »

I have to be honest, I never liked the way that monsters were spawned in Minecraft related to the light level. Its makes it so hard to use atmospheric lighting on anything but peaceful mode, and it always felt like a bit of a stop-gap solution to me.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 02:56:41 PM »

I have to be honest, I never liked the way that monsters were spawned in Minecraft related to the light level. Its makes it so hard to use atmospheric lighting on anything but peaceful mode, and it always felt like a bit of a stop-gap solution to me.

Yep.  It's a nice simple mechanic for a simpler game... and it was fun.  But it's been done so now let's do different things.  Smiley
X3n0ph083

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »

My thoughts exactly. I don't suppose you can tell us the criteria for spawns in Mythruna?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »

My thoughts exactly. I don't suppose you can tell us the criteria for spawns in Mythruna?

Tough to say.  Many things will just exist whether you are there or not, like NPCs.  Wild game like rabbits, squirrels, birds, etc. will be spawns.  Takwin will be spawns, though.  (More on what those are later. Smiley)
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 12:56:54 PM »

Tough to say.  Many things will just exist whether you are there or not, like NPCs.  Wild game like rabbits, squirrels, birds, etc. will be spawns.  Takwin will be spawns, though.  (More on what those are later. Smiley)
Its later. Hi, nice to meat you. Lets get to the point, what is a 'Takwin' (if information will not spoil Cheesy)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 12:59:52 PM »

Its later. Hi, nice to meat you. Lets get to the point, what is a 'Takwin' (if information will not spoil Cheesy)

I'm working on a concept art piece... when that painting is done then I will spill more info about these sets of creatures.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 02:07:01 PM »

awesome more progress to survival great job paul

belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 07:17:29 PM »

the first thing i think of when i think of criteria for spawning something is "biome"

i can't remember if we've really asked you about biomes yet, paul.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: