Mythruna
March 29, 2024, 12:37:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creepy combat-based idea...  (Read 17751 times)
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 09:01:54 PM »

the first thing i think of when i think of criteria for spawning something is "biome"

i can't remember if we've really asked you about biomes yet, paul.
This is what I know
  • Biomes won't be random, meaning a desert and a tundra won't be beside each other.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 12:26:06 AM »

the first thing i think of when i think of criteria for spawning something is "biome"

i can't remember if we've really asked you about biomes yet, paul.

From this post: http://mythruna.com/forum/index.php?topic=502.0
-mountains, deserts, tundras (including temperate-specific flora and fauna)

The idea that you'd have some hard line where desert ends and frozen tundra begins is not appealing to me.  So "biomes" will develop naturally where certain terrain intersects certain average climate.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 08:46:29 AM »

The idea that you'd have some hard line where desert ends and frozen tundra begins is not appealing to me.  So "biomes" will develop naturally where certain terrain intersects certain average climate.
obviously paul is gonna make things as realistic as he can. but i meant how diverse are the biomes gonna be? like theres obviously plains and tundra and desert, maybe a heavy forest area, but what about other stuff?  cubeworld got me thinking cuz it has lavalands and undead lands and savannahs, as well as just plain ocean (which is fun since you can sail).

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »

obviously paul is gonna make things as realistic as he can. but i meant how diverse are the biomes gonna be? like theres obviously plains and tundra and desert, maybe a heavy forest area, but what about other stuff?  cubeworld got me thinking cuz it has lavalands and undead lands and savannahs, as well as just plain ocean (which is fun since you can sail).

It would be hard to explain or guess as it will be the intersection of a few variables.

As an example, let's say the terrain itself becomes more diverse and spread out... mountains will be higher, sections of the world will be larger, sections of the world will also vary in "roughness".  This gives you mountains, mountainous land masses, high plateaus, canyons, large rolling plains, etc..

Water also begins to flow and springs are randomly places.  This gives you rivers, streams, lakes, ponds, etc.. 

Then there is climate and "general weather".  A larger fractal will determine the relative average "climate" for an area... basically the min, max, and average temperatures.  A particular spot on the world's weather will also be affected by the elevation and the general land layout.  (High winds are more common across open flat land or in high elevations, for example.)

It's important to note that all of these are not hard-edged things.  Any point on the world will have a blending of these variables.

Finally, we enter the "planting plan".  This is a smaller scale fractal that attempts to map the richest soil/growing areas.  Basically, it's randomly assigning areas where plants are easier to grow... it will do this irrespective of terrain because a) the terrain will already filter out stuff that won't grow there, and b) it makes it more interesting.

So, for a given block, all of these things combine with the "randomness" to decide what will grow there.  If the climate is hot year-around and there are no water sources nearby, then the land is likely to be sand and not support any plant life.  If the temperature is cool enough to grow stuff and/or a water source is nearby, then grasses will always be a potential plant unless the "planting plan" is _extremely_ inhospitable for that area.  Right here this leads to deserts and grass lands/savannahs that have nice transitions if they happen to be next to each other.

Next up are the trees.  A rolling plane with favorable temperatures and extremely high winds will only grow trees in the most hospitable "planting plan" or otherwise near rocky land.  Otherwise, you have forests similar to now.  If the seasonal temperatures tend to be really cold then the majority of trees will be pines... this would lead to tall pine forests.  If the seasonal temperatures tend to be hot and the area is wet then you will end up more rain-foresty feel.  Lots of ground cover and high forest canopy.

Areas near shallow standing water will grow marsh plants.  I'd like to think they'd be different for full sun salt water than for shaded fresh water... but we'll see.  Shallow fresh water can still grow trees if the planting plan is high... then you end up with nice swamps.

The thing is, I don't actually specifically make any biome.  I create the environment with the variables above and then when I add support for specific trees and plants, I give them a list of conditions required to grow them.  Biomes are a by-product of the fact that all of those other variables will tend to intersect over large areas.

P.S.: I really hope I also find a nice way to add glaciers.  The idea of hunting down ice-takwin in pure-ice glacier caves really appeals to me. Smiley
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 02:22:20 PM »

Quote from: pspeed
The thing is, I don't actually specifically make any biome.  I create the environment with the variables above and then when I add support for specific trees and plants, I give them a list of conditions required to grow them.  Biomes are a by-product of the fact that all of those other variables will tend to intersect over large areas.
That puts a whole different standing point for me with generation of practically everything. Not once until reading this have I thought of a way to make terrain like this.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »

That puts a whole different standing point for me with generation of practically everything. Not once until reading this have I thought of a way to make terrain like this.

Heheh... then on my scale, I saved you like 20 years of thinking about it. Smiley
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »

Heheh... then on my scale, I saved you like 20 years of thinking about it. Smiley
Ha! Good job! Now start thinking more for me, I've already grown bored of the thought 'thought'.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 09:04:43 PM »

I much prefer that way of going about it, Paul, the blend will look much better than assigned biomes. Now the fun part is making it happen Smiley I also agree that tundra must be formed somehow... along with ice caves! Oh, and speaking of climate, what are your plans for weather again?

BTW When we get into things like crystals and ores, I will spearhead the conversation. Just sayin.

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 07:49:34 AM »

Awesome system!
X3n0ph083

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »

Thats a very intuitive method you have described there, Paul. I like it. With tuning, it should result in quite a natural looking world.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: