Mythruna
April 26, 2024, 11:28:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer issues...  (Read 34060 times)
Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »

So I finally got my motherboard, installed the RAM, put in the vid card, and hooked plugged in all of the cords for the power supply and motherboard, and it doesn't turn on. Only one power supply cord is unplugged, and I can't seem to find where it goes. I would upload a pic if imgur was working.

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »

I assume you put the CPU on it and stuff, too?

So many things could be wrong... for example, you could have installed the case cables wrong on the motherboard pin header which prevents the computer from starting up, etc..

Building a computer is a little tricky and even harder to debug over the internet.   You'd have to provide us with a lot more details (and a picture or two would help, also) in order to properly debug this issue.
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:35:19 PM »

Well, my old motherboard didn't have a CPU on it... Idk why, I looked at it when I got the new motherboard, and I was wondering why. Imgur is apparently over capacity right now or else I would upload my pictures.

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 04:37:14 PM »

Well, my old motherboard didn't have a CPU on it... Idk why, I looked at it when I got the new motherboard, and I was wondering why. Imgur is apparently over capacity right now or else I would upload my pictures.

It most certainly did have a CPU on it.  Maybe it wasn't removeable (totally strange).

Either way, you will 10000% need a CPU on a new motherboard for your computer to work.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »

In fact, you should have a big empty white-ish socket or something look like something with a bunch of pins should be plugged into it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cpu+socket&client=firefox-a&hs=QWy&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6fz2UafzL8iorAHekIDIAw&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1308&bih=859
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »

And since I just imagined about 1000 horror stories starting with "I didn't know for sure so I just pushed..."

If you happen to find it then please be very very gentle with your CPU.  If you have it oriented in the slot properly then it should just drop right in and if it doesn't then don't force it.  Unless you don't mind buying a new one.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 05:51:08 PM »

Socket 775 should look something like this. https://www.google.com/search?q=socket+775&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=ng33UZGYCJfH4AP4iIHgBw&biw=1920&bih=991&sei=oQ33UZfBLsPj4AOWvYGoCA

If imgur is over capacity then use tinypic.com.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »

AH-HA! The old cpu was underneath the fan!

BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:22:54 PM »

Does the computer work now?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »

Yes... that fan is what cools the CPU and keeps it from burning up.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 08:42:14 PM »

Now that I think about it, you're also going to need some thermal grease.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »

Now that I think about it, you're also going to need some thermal grease.

Yeah, I almost mentioned that, too.

It's watching someone else do this from scratch that makes me realize all of the lore I've accumulated over the years that I don't even think about anymore.  I think I even have three or four little packets of thermal grease up on my shelf that I saved from some CPU box "just in case".

I really hope this story has a happy ending.
theamericono

AMERICA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 05:46:48 AM »

i was told when it come to thermal grease that little is more dont put a big blob on put a little one on and then wipe of a flat head screw driver with rubbing alchol and gentale spreed it around for a even coat. thermal grease is just to fill the microsopice holes in the cpu becouse air isnt very conductive.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 09:23:23 AM »

i was told when it come to thermal grease that little is more dont put a big blob on put a little one on and then wipe of a flat head screw driver with rubbing alchol and gentale spreed it around for a even coat. thermal grease is just to fill the microsopice holes in the cpu becouse air isnt very conductive.
Just put thermal paste in the center of the processor and without spreading it around, put the heatsink on top of it; just make sure you are putting enough thermal paste on to cover the whole CPU. I don't know who told you to use a flathead screwdriver, that method to me spells disaster for air pockets within the paste itself.
Here's a nice video made by Tek Syndicate that explains thermal coverage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »

Just put thermal paste in the center of the processor and without spreading it around, put the heatsink on top of it; just make sure you are putting enough thermal paste on to cover the whole CPU. I don't know who told you to use a flathead screwdriver, that method to me spells disaster for air pockets within the paste itself.
Here's a nice video made by Tek Syndicate that explains thermal coverage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

...also, putting a screw driver right on a CPU sort of gives me the willies.  They are often magnetic even if only a little bit... and while the cover of the CPU should provide protection from shock and stuff, having something metal scraping over it makes me uneasy.

Most of the time I just let the heat sink squeeze it around from a dollup in the center as Sean suggests.  If I ever felt the need to spread it then I just used a piece of cardboard to smear a thick layer in the middle and make it flat... but you do risk air pockets that way.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: