Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 02:12:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer issues...  (Read 34070 times)
Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »

Ok, so I am confused. There are 3 cords from the power supply unplugged and I need them plugged in, but can't find their ports. My old power supply had the same amount of plug-ins, so I'm guessing I have the ports but cant find them. I need help for that, and I would upload a pic but I cannot off of my phone. One of the cords that I cannot plugin is hanging inbetween two other cords, and it has 4 circles inside its plug. The second one is a really small cord that looks like its a 4 pin. The last one is a pretty slim and wide cord. I cannot find where they go. Any help?

Edit: The computer from this point turns on, but turns off after like, 30> seconds/after I turn on the monitor.
Also, I still have my old CPU fan, so I guess I wont be needing thermal grease because I'll put the fan on the new motherboard over the CPU.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:33:49 PM by Stickman Sham » Logged

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 02:03:31 PM »

Ok, so I am confused. There are 3 cords from the power supply unplugged and I need them plugged in, but can't find their ports. My old power supply had the same amount of plug-ins, so I'm guessing I have the ports but cant find them. I need help for that, and I would upload a pic but I cannot off of my phone. One of the cords that I cannot plugin is hanging inbetween two other cords, and it has 4 circles inside its plug. The second one is a really small cord that looks like its a 4 pin. The last one is a pretty slim and wide cord. I cannot find where they go. Any help?

Edit: The computer from this point turns on, but turns off after like, 30> seconds/after I turn on the monitor.
Also, I still have my old CPU fan, so I guess I wont be needing thermal grease because I'll put the fan on the new motherboard over the CPU.

The thermal grease is for making sure that the fan has nice heat-transfer contact with the CPU.

The power cables: it depends on what the cables are.  It is quite common to have many extra four-wire or sata power cables that are simply left over for devices that aren't installed.  Also, depending on the power supply you may have cables that would plug into other types of motherboard.

...you should worry more about if you have unused power sockets on the mother board, I think.

If you turn on the monitor and then turn on the computer... does the computer beep or make any noises?  Does the monitor show anything?
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »

The first is probably a 4 pin power connector, the second is probably a fan connector although I haven't seen one built into a power supply before, and the third is probably a molex connector. They all don't need to be plugged in for the system to work. In my server PC I have too many different connectors not being used for me to count so consider yourself lucky if you only have 3 Tongue.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »

Wait are you saying you are running the computer without a CPU cooler?? and yes, you do need thermal paste unless I am misinterpreting what you are saying and the thermal paste has been pre-applied and unused.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »

So I just hooked up the old fan after touching the CPU after the pc turned off, because the CPU was VERY hot. Now the pc is still on and hasn't turned off on its own. The monitor shows nothing, and I plugged in the vga to both the video card and the orignal port.

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 03:32:58 PM »

So I just hooked up the old fan after touching the CPU after the pc turned off, because the CPU was VERY hot. Now the pc is still on and hasn't turned off on its own. The monitor shows nothing, and I plugged in the vga to both the video card and the orignal port.
oh jeez that was a very very very very very very very very bad idea to run your computer without a CPU cooler.

Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 03:43:30 PM »

Well, that's why the pc shuts down when it overheats.
Now what must I do?

Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »

Well, that's why the pc shuts down when it overheats.
Now what must I do?
Considering you didn't burn out your processor you should buy or borrow some thermal paste, put the thermal paste on the CPU and then mount the CPU cooler.

Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 05:26:48 PM »

What must I do to get the computer running in the first place? I'll worry about thermal paste once I can get the computer up and running.

theamericono

AMERICA

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 05:42:47 PM »

the thermal grease as i was told by a man that build repairs and other things to computer i trust him on using a screwdrive to spreed it around

CPU-AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo)                                 (63.24)
GPU-SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit DDR3                                (74.99)
-GPU2-MSI N640-4GD3                                                      (99.99)
Motherboard-BIOSTAR A55ML2 FM2 AMD Motherboard                            (49.48)
-Case-GIGABYTE GZ-P5 Plus GZ-P5HB5C Black ABS / 0.5 mm SECC ATX Mid Tower          (28.12)
-Case2-Xion xon-18                                                         (30.08)
Ram-Pareema 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 MHZ                  (46.35)
Hard drive-TOSHIBA DT01ACA050 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"       (55.80)
PSU- Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS  80 PLUS (CX600)                    (57.99)
                                                             Case 1 gpu 1-375.90
                                                             Case 1 gpu 2-400.90
                                                             Case 2 gpu 1-377.86
                                                             Case 2 gpu 2-402.86

Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »

What must I do to get the computer running in the first place? I'll worry about thermal paste once I can get the computer up and running.
Thermal paste is an essential part to getting a computer ip and running.

Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 06:28:11 PM »

So, if I apply thermal grease onto the CPU, it'll boot up? It looks like there was some residue on the top of the metal on the CPU, I'm assuming that's dried up thermal grease? The old set up worked, so I really don't know what to think, but thermal grease is cheap, so I'll look into that.

theamericono

AMERICA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 07:04:20 PM »

no u want new thermal grease wipe the old stuff off with rubbing alchol
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 07:12:14 PM »

I'm going to get a packet Arctic Silver Ceramique for 8$, and clean off the old stuff. Simple enough... Wink

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 09:17:05 PM »

It may not get your computer to run but you don't want to keep trying until your cooling situation is dealt with.

If your video card is plugged in and your VGA cable runs from the port on the card to your monitor... and the monitor is on... and nothing shows up on the screen during boot then something is very wrong.  You should at least get the startup screen for the BIOS.

And even if the display isn't working, you should at least hear a beep.

Pretty soon it may be time to find a local expert to help you over the last hurdles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: