Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 01:21:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer issues...  (Read 33738 times)
Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 10:06:29 PM »

I know a local expert who fixed my computer awhile ago... I'll just have him put together the computer because I really don't know what I'm doing at this point. But, why is the computers current state 'very wrong'?

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 10:10:42 PM »

I know a local expert who fixed my computer awhile ago... I'll just have him put together the computer because I really don't know what I'm doing at this point. But, why is the computers current state 'very wrong'?

Because something should show up on the screen when you turn it on.  So something is wrong.  Something is not plugged in or not plugged in right, etc..  Could be a bunch of things.
theamericono

AMERICA

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 05:23:23 AM »

what i would do is start over take everything off and this time i would make a video or take some pic
X3n0ph083

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »

Stickman, It's not unusual to have leftover power cables in your PC. As long as all of your components are plugged in, all is well. I will repeat what the other guys are saying though, don't run your PC without a cooler on it, you're lucky you didn't burn it out.

As for your VGA issues, try removing the graphics card and using the onboard graphics. If this works, it could be a VGA error or a driver issue, and you will need to reinstall your graphic card drivers.

PS, to all other hardware nuts out there: I know that's a very old fix for older PC's, but sometimes, the old ways are the best ways Wink
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 09:50:50 AM »

Stickman, It's not unusual to have leftover power cables in your PC. As long as all of your components are plugged in, all is well. I will repeat what the other guys are saying though, don't run your PC without a cooler on it, you're lucky you didn't burn it out.

As for your VGA issues, try removing the graphics card and using the onboard graphics. If this works, it could be a VGA error or a driver issue, and you will need to reinstall your graphic card drivers.

PS, to all other hardware nuts out there: I know that's a very old fix for older PC's, but sometimes, the old ways are the best ways Wink

No matter drivers or anything else... if the monitor doesn't at least show a blinking cursor or BIOS splash screen then something is not setup right on the motherboard.
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »

Make sure to plug the screen into the graphics card and not the motherboard if it has onboard graphics.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2013, 04:31:50 PM »

I've tried to use the onboard video card, same result. I don't know what could be wrong, but I won't have to find out. I'm most likely going to have the cmputer put together by a local expert. I just don't know why I dont hear a beep or get a boot-up screen.

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2013, 05:13:27 PM »

I've tried to use the onboard video card, same result. I don't know what could be wrong, but I won't have to find out. I'm most likely going to have the cmputer put together by a local expert. I just don't know why I dont hear a beep or get a boot-up screen.

I'm sure your local expert will be able to tell you what the problem was.
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2013, 05:43:16 PM »

Sounds great - I'll be on vacation in Wisconsin for a week so I won't be online, and he is in the family and also livea up there, so it'll work out. I'll have to leave a note in the computer that the motherboard won't be able to screw in.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:02:26 PM by Stickman Sham » Logged

Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 12:51:30 AM »

Eek, it looks like that ASRock motherboard doesn't work or I somehow short circuited the motherboard... It never moved around when it was on, but I was told that I probably short circuited it somehow because I couldn't screw it in...but if it short-circuited and the fans all work... then what does that mean?
Above all else, I think I can get a free motherboard from a friend.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 01:48:00 AM »

Eek, it looks like that ASRock motherboard doesn't work or I somehow short circuited the motherboard... It never moved around when it was on, but I was told that I probably short circuited it somehow because I couldn't screw it in...but if it short-circuited and the fans all work... then what does that mean?
Above all else, I think I can get a free motherboard from a friend.

Ugh... sounds bad.  As a computer guy, I'm sorry for your loss. Smiley

Always screw the motherboard in.  If you can't... spend the $25 for a new case that will take it.  It's totally worth the piece of mind.

It could just have been a bad motherboard (it does happen) but you'll never know now, really.
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »

Whn I got the computer back, it had one screw in and the video card kept the motherboard in place... so I wont need a new case. Most likely a motherboard that I can get wont be micro-atx and still will have socket 775 and as most modern motherboards do, it'll support Intel Pentium 4. I don'y know how it can short out in any way because it in no way contacted the bottom of the case because it always hovered above it due to the bulging screw sockets... but I still don't understand how the fans still all work if it short-circuited. There is no way that im getting a new case though. That's going a bit too far with the computer upgrade. The last original pieces would be the hard drive and the CPU. I wouldn't be able to call it my HP Pavilion.

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 02:08:27 PM »

Whn I got the computer back, it had one screw in and the video card kept the motherboard in place... so I wont need a new case. Most likely a motherboard that I can get wont be micro-atx and still will have socket 775 and as most modern motherboards do, it'll support Intel Pentium 4. I don'y know how it can short out in any way because it in no way contacted the bottom of the case because it always hovered above it due to the bulging screw sockets... but I still don't understand how the fans still all work if it short-circuited. There is no way that im getting a new case though. That's going a bit too far with the computer upgrade. The last original pieces would be the hard drive and the CPU. I wouldn't be able to call it my HP Pavilion.

Yes, well... you'll forgive me if I suggest that the last bit is not actually a rational argument. Smiley  But it is your computer to do with as you like.

Boards can be shorted out a bunch of different ways.  I once dragged a screw driver across the _top_ of a motherboard while it was on and fried the whole I/O section of the board.  The computer worked fine and would even boot up... but the mouse and other external devices were dead.  Only the keyboard worked because it was the old AT style keyboards and on a different part of the MB.

If you can't solidly screw the motherboard in so that it sits flat and doesn't move/flex then you also risk cracking it sometime... or flexing it to the point that other parts/connections break.  Also, if it's sitting on the other empty screw risers then those are usually conductive, too... they can short across links just like anything else.
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 02:14:17 PM »

I guess then from here I will do whatever I can with a new motherboard, carefully install it, then I should be OK as long as I follow a list of precautions. For the sake of novelty, may I get a list of things to know when installing a new motherboard? Would be appreciated.  Wink

Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 02:14:56 PM »

If the fans are getting power from the motherboard and they are still spinning then that means the motherboard is still receiving and distributing power. Does the hard drive spin? Are there beep codes?

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: