Mythruna
April 19, 2024, 12:47:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anime  (Read 16057 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »

RESURECTION

Okay guys, I have recently watched all of the Avatar series and the Sword Art Online series. WOW, just wow. Thanks to this thread for making me check out Avatar and thanks to Avatar and the Oculus Rift for making me watch SAO.

Avatar was really great.  I can think of very few series that I would happily watch all the way through again, would enjoy myself nearly 100% of the time, and also managed to wrap up the story so satisfyingly.  It was just perfect.  I've already seen many of the episodes two and three times because I've watched some of them again with my son.  I still have a desire to someday run through the whole series in order again.  Just the right tone.  (*)

To me it stands above other great series like Full Metal Alchemist (which I might be willing to slog through one more time) and Inuyasha (more episodic and then just drags on and on trying to best itself into an ultimately fairly unsatisfying conclusion, later movies aside).

* - an episode that I really think shows the depth of thinking involved in Avatar is the one that is dedicated to Mako who did the voice of Uncle Iroh.  "Tales of Ba Sing Se" manages to mix the adventure and quirky humor of the show together with the deeper tale of Iroh putting together a picnic for some special occasion.  Along the way he helps a lot of people, including a little boy to whom he sings a cheerful song about a boy coming home from war.  It is finally revealed that the picnic is to remember his dead son's birthday.  His son had died in the previous war and Iroh wishes he could have helped him like he helped all of the other people.  He sings the same song again only now it takes on a different meaning in context.  By the time the dedication to Mako pops up, I was nearly completely unraveled.

...but I think it shows the level of thinking and subtlety that went into the stories and characters.  How even taken in total, the motivations and transformations are clear and consistent, and often lightly foreshadowed all the way from the first episodes.  Just really excellent story-crafting.
Iggyjeckel
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 11:46:32 PM »

I liked trigun, but haven't watched it in years, evangelion ( I think that's the name) was fun until it took a weird turn and hurt my head.

Then there is ghost in the machine, .hack (loved the games, original and gu.) and akira, another oldie is vampire hunter d.
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 06:18:28 AM »

I have seen many of the show talked about in this thread but only a few really impressed me. Since I liked sword art online so much I have been leaning to start .hack soon.

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
BigredRm
Donators

<-o Word up goes to that modern man o->

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 06:48:53 AM »

also some of my older favs are samuirai champloo and cowbow bebop

Visit Iron Island @ 1708,702
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 06:58:55 AM »

also some of my older favs are samuirai champloo and cowbow bebop

Both of them are great.  I only forgot to mention them because I thought everyone already knew about them but I don't know why that would be.  They've just like "always been there" for me.
belgariad87
Donators

RPG player for life

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »

Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun are very similar in feel. I'm currently re-watching Code Geass, waiting for more dubs of Fairy Tail and Attack on Titan, finished SAO a long time ago (I love the part where he gets ambushed and he regens health faster than they can do damage xD rpg logic) and I recommend also trying Mythical Detective Loki: Ragnarok, look it up.

Maybe i will make a list soon for recommendations...

Specs for future reference:
Windows 7 64bit ; Intel Quad Core ; 8GB RAM ; AMD Radeon HD 6800 ; TB HD
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: