Mythruna
March 28, 2024, 03:02:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple drop shadows...  (Read 13990 times)
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:17:08 AM »

Posted this to facebook, twitter, and g+ but forgot to put it here... oops.

Last night I added some cheap drop-shadows:

...except these also contour to the ground/grass/etc. Real shadows are tricky in a sandbox engine but these will at least give objects some more "weight".  I can also use the underlying shader for other things since these are actually shadow "volumes" and not just splatted images.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »

Nice (but cheap)!
I do like how you said its actually volume instead of an image, and I like the part where the chair is hanging over the edge, and the shadow gets skewed along the lower block to give the 3-dimensional shadow effect.

Along with saying that, for the Player, I think I see an actual outlined shadow along where the player stands, like the hands I think.. is that true?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:24:26 PM by Shzylo » Logged
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »

Nice (but cheap)!
I do like how you said its actually volume instead of an image, and I like the part where the chair is hanging over the edge, and the shadow gets skewed along the slope to give the 3-dimensional shadow effect.

Along with saying that, for the Player, I think I see an actual outlined shadow along where the player stands, like the hands I think.. is that true?

Nah... it's just an oval.  The dirt may be making it look different.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 06:32:06 PM »

cool nicer than mc shadows lol

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:37:15 PM »

MC uses an image
Quote from: pspeed
I can also use the underlying shader for other things since these are actually shadow "volumes" and not just splatted images.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 08:42:10 PM »

MC uses an image
Quote from: pspeed
I can also use the underlying shader for other things since these are actually shadow "volumes" and not just splatted images.

Yeah... that's why this is nicer. Smiley

I can use an image, too... which could be useful for decal types of applications like foot prints and stuff.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 05:07:55 AM »

COMPLAINT:
In the chair picture on the left, look at the shadow for the backmost chair.. It's shadow is really concentrated in the middle, and not so in the outer ring. It also doesn't blend in well with the block or with itself, and it bothers me.

Paul please tell me you are going to edit the shadows to give them a nice blend.
Teknonick

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »

COMPLAINT:
In the chair picture on the left, look at the shadow for the backmost chair.. It's shadow is really concentrated in the middle, and not so in the outer ring. It also doesn't blend in well with the block or with itself, and it bothers me.

Paul please tell me you are going to edit the shadows to give them a nice blend.
It's not supposed to look perfect. It's a cheap shadow, meant for lower end computers. It can look pretty good in some situations... but the main point is that it doesn't eat any (Or shouldn't) of your CPU. That way, if you could care less about shadows, you just set that setting to low... unless you badly need them (Like me), then set them to ULTRA REALISTIC.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 05:43:34 PM »

This is the way object shadows will be done because regular realistic shadows are problematic for several reasons... not the least of which because the player can put any number of objects they want down.

This will still get some tweaking but I need to make it work properly first.  Getting them to look right in all lighting conditions is probably many hours work.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 06:33:53 PM »

its nice to know that aspects of the game are being worked on (however small)

i hope the progress continues  Smiley

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »

Me too!

It sounds like a silly thing to side-track myself with but it's another one of those things that seems irrelevant but is actually a big help to me.  Also, if I don't deal with it now then it won't get added later... objects that can rotate in all directions (like under physics control) sort of confound this shadow approach a little bit so better to build it in now.  And the shadows will help me see what's going on when physics objects are flying around since I'll be able to see where they are relative to the ground.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »

Me too!

It sounds like a silly thing to side-track myself with but it's another one of those things that seems irrelevant but is actually a big help to me.  Also, if I don't deal with it now then it won't get added later... objects that can rotate in all directions (like under physics control) sort of confound this shadow approach a little bit so better to build it in now.  And the shadows will help me see what's going on when physics objects are flying around since I'll be able to see where they are relative to the ground.
well now that your now longer side tracked with shadows (i hope) you are 1 step closer to giving the ability to players to do stuff with their inventories

BenKenobiWan
Friendly Moderator
Donators

Jesus loves you!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 09:37:48 PM »

Me too!

well now that your now longer side tracked with shadows (i hope) you are 1 step closer to giving the ability to players to do stuff with their inventories
I think he's still working on the shadows.

Will the shadows eventually come from an angle, like they will be shifted to the left when the sun is on the right, etc.? Or will it just be straight down all the time?
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »

Me too!

I think he's still working on the shadows.

Will the shadows eventually come from an angle, like they will be shifted to the left when the sun is on the right, etc.? Or will it just be straight down all the time?

Straight down, I think.  I see engines that combine minecraft style light propagation with directional shadows and it makes me queasy.  I think wrong but consistent is better than two different types of shadows.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 09:43:48 PM »

Note, though: for fully indoor shadows caused by local light there may be some things I play with down the road.  I have to see.

And ultimately, I may angle the shadows a little bit.  I have to keep them under the objects, though, so I can't move them too far.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: