Mythruna
April 16, 2024, 11:21:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: racial attacks?  (Read 13509 times)
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »

i have been wondering about this for awhile would the panthrians have claw attacks and the reptillians have scaly spike attacks possible ones that poison you (reptiles to have venom attacks irl)

IronWolf

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 07:17:59 PM »

Form what iv read, it's got to have something like that. (I mean, avians can fly, but cats can't use claw attacks? Tongue )
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »

They should have these, yes.

Bit attacks would be difficult but claw attacks, etc. is something I really want.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 09:27:51 PM »

omg my new favorite race is now reptilian lol i hope the repetilian venom is powerful
also Chapter 7 of Fred is out check it out ok?

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »

omg my new favorite race is now reptilian lol i hope the repetilian venom is powerful

The reptilian race has a few down sides:
-they have the fewest slots for magic "upgrades" (maybe just one)
-they are greatly affected by temperature and cannot deal with the cold at all.

Still, for all of that they get some cool tricks:
-master climbers... can climb pretty much any surface except glass, marble, etc... the smooth surfaces.
-can breath underwater
-heat vision
...probably a couple other things I'm forgetting.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »

-master climbers... can climb pretty much any surface except glass, marble, etc... the smooth surfaces.
-can breath underwater
-heat vision
....HEAT VISION?!

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 10:46:18 PM »

-can breath underwater
-heat vision
....HEAT VISION?!

From the main races summary page:
Reptilian

These silent and cold blooded humanoid reptile carnivores are natural predators and naturally distrustful of outsiders. Little is known about this mysterious race except that they tend to stick to warmer climates.

There special abilities are many. They can breath underwater, climb nearly any surface, move silently, and in some cases hide almost invisibly. They are rumored to have a heat-based night vision.

http://mythruna.com/about-mythruna/playable-races/

Heat vision is very useful for a race that must stay warm.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 04:23:46 PM »

-can breath underwater
-heat vision
ya your forgetting elbow spikes i read about in races thread and cool poison/venom attacks

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 04:31:36 PM »

-can breath underwater
-heat vision
ya your forgetting elbow spikes i read about in races thread and cool poison/venom attacks

The spikes are on their fore-arms.

I haven't decided if reptilians are innately poisonous or just have a good sense of how to brew poisons.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 04:40:34 PM »

-can breath underwater
-heat vision

I haven't decided if reptilians are innately poisonous or just have a good sense of how to brew poisons.
please let them have venom/poison glands that refill a certain amount of useable poison that is used in either bite or forearm spike attacks and when it runs out forearm/biting attacks no longer do poison/venom damage until the glands refill hmm this is actually a good idea to balance reptilian venom/poison don't ya think paul?  Tongue

Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 11:56:02 PM »

-can breath underwater
-heat vision

Sounds like Wolverine from the X-Men could be real in Mythruna. Hehe

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 12:28:44 AM »

-can breath underwater
-heat vision

Heheh.  Well, the spikes point the other way and are always there.  They usually just lay flat against the arm... attached at the wrist and extending down towards the elbow.  Usually, they are sharpened and shortened to provide better cutting leverage for disemboweling and decapitation attacks.  They regrow like any other claw would and are made of similar material... so great against bare skin like a neck or belly.  Not great at all against armor.  Really good for sneak attacks.  These will not be inherently poisonous unless treated.  Note also that if coated with a poison that is also poisonous to the reptilian that it could end up soaking into their blood stream and sickening/killing them.

So while I'm still on the fence about whether reptilians can secrete poisons or are merely natural poison crafters, they will definitely have resistance to certain types of poison.

If they can produce their own poison then it would be through bite/spitting attacks from a gland in their throat... part of the salivary system.  In fact, if that's true then their saliva is just plain poisonous.  Note that the poison will not be very strong and not deadly.  It would be a neurotoxin that causes paralysis in game-animals and dizziness/sluggishness in human sized creatures.  At least for one dose... though getting it in the eyes will cause temporary vision problems.  You won't be dead from the poison but it probably stops mattering soon. Wink

Also, innate poisonousness is generally bred out of the warrior class.  Part of their evolution into large armored hulks made it an unnecessary survival feature since they always hunt or fight game to big for the poison to really matter.  They are immune to it, though.  And you still probably don't want to get bitten by one.

For either class, disease and infection is likely after a bite... but only the more primitive elements of the species would tend to bite as part of an attack anyway.  That being said, it is probably the more primitive sects that a player is most likely to encounter.  The more civilized elder sects are rare and live in the deep deserts or on the ocean floor.  In other words, you'd have had to been through some serious stuff to reach them if they are even nearby at all.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 01:04:37 AM »

Bonus rambling for anyone reading this far about reptilians.  I don't know how much of this will make it into the actual game but there is a simian character that is set to appear in the Shasour Soong stories.  He likes to collect information on culture and language and doesn't mind talking about it to anyone ready to listen (whether they want to or not).

This is just from my rough notes, loosely reworked into narrative.  It originally flipped back and forth between character monolog and book-style explanation.  Maybe it will end up in an in-game book somewhere.
It's very interesting.  There is a form of reptilian poetry/philosophy called "talgarin".
The "poems" or "tralga" consist of rigidly structured two word statements
where the first two statements seem unrelated or contradictory but the
last ties them together in some enlightening way.  Rarely, they may also
be logical progressions but these tend to be reserved for specific sub-forms.

Some examples:
The whispers are patient.
Death is patient.
They meet in the dark.

The world is large.
The body is small.
The mind is infinite.

The sun scorches.
The waters cool.
Life emerges.

The clever student may notice that all of these phrases have more than two
words.  That is true in English but is not true in reptilian where subjects and
verbs are both heavily conjugated.  Talgarin works with all simple/regular reptilian
verb forms and the irregular verbs are not used in talgarin.

So, for example, in the first case "the whispers" is one word in reptilian
as is "are patient"... which is the same as "is patient" in this case which forms
a stricter mode of talgarin which is not discussed here.

"They meet in the dark" is trickier in english because the literal translation
is "in-darkness" "they meet"... both of which are single word conjugations.

In fact, "darkness" is not a literal translation either but we lack a word for
"night tinged with evil" and so "darkness" is used as a weaker translation without
implying additional unintended specificity or ambiguity.

Interestingly, the second example is actually the strictest form of talgarin
called "Tralshik" (rough phoenetic approximation).  World, body, and mind are
all very specific concepts in reptilian but they all stem from the same word
structure.  The words for all three are slight conjugations of a core element
and are tough to translate.  The poor translation is "life holder" with variations
on "life holder we live in", "life holder we are", "life holder that holds what
we are" for "world", "mind", and "body" respectively.

Furthmore, "large", "small", and "infinite" are just word modifiers.  So in
"Tralshik", the tralga are simple three word truths conjugated around a single
principle.

An example of progressive tralshik, and probably my favorite:
Limit the mind.
Limit the body.
Limit the world.

This tralshik serves as an example of the cultural understanding necessary to
truly interpret a tralga.  To the human reader, this may seem as motivational
inspiration but is in fact the opposite.  This is actually a recipe for a clean life
and is another example of where a word ("limit" in this case) cannot be directly
translated.

Some random examples while I'm here thinking of them:

Thirst burns.
The mouth is dry.
Blood runs warm.

I have spent hours contemplating the deeper meanings of that one.

(insert more examples and commentary here)

My favorite part of this sort of poetry is how it hints at a deeper and broader culture than
we generally see in the primitive reptilians of today.  It's really quite stunning that they've
passed this linguistic beauty down through millennia of what we might conceitedly call social decline.  A
testament to the resilience of their people, I think.  Perhaps also a hint at their general patience
as a species.
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 04:45:43 PM »

-can breath underwater
-heat vision

Heheh.  Well, the spikes point the other way and are always there.  They usually just lay flat against the arm... attached at the wrist and extending down towards the elbow.  Usually, they are sharpened and shortened to provide better cutting leverage for disemboweling and decapitation attacks.  They regrow like any other claw would and are made of similar material... so great against bare skin like a neck or belly.  Not great at all against armor.  Really good for sneak attacks.  These will not be inherently poisonous unless treated.  Note also that if coated with a poison that is also poisonous to the reptilian that it could end up soaking into their blood stream and sickening/killing them.

So while I'm still on the fence about whether reptilians can secrete poisons or are merely natural poison crafters, they will definitely have resistance to certain types of poison.

If they can produce their own poison then it would be through bite/spitting attacks from a gland in their throat... part of the salivary system.  In fact, if that's true then their saliva is just plain poisonous.  Note that the poison will not be very strong and not deadly.  It would be a neurotoxin that causes paralysis in game-animals and dizziness/sluggishness in human sized creatures.  At least for one dose... though getting it in the eyes will cause temporary vision problems.  You won't be dead from the poison but it probably stops mattering soon. Wink

Also, innate poisonousness is generally bred out of the warrior class.  Part of their evolution into large armored hulks made it an unnecessary survival feature since they always hunt or fight game to big for the poison to really matter.  They are immune to it, though.  And you still probably don't want to get bitten by one.

For either class, disease and infection is likely after a bite... but only the more primitive elements of the species would tend to bite as part of an attack anyway.  That being said, it is probably the more primitive sects that a player is most likely to encounter.  The more civilized elder sects are rare and live in the deep deserts or on the ocean floor.  In other words, you'd have had to been through some serious stuff to reach them if they are even nearby at all.
cool does this mean as a reptilian player i can tear up my enemies with my spikes and spit/bite them as well as attacking them with weapons?
also can i kill someone with poison/venom build up by spitting/biting them 10 times means 10 doses

Budehgong
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »

cool does this mean as a reptilian player i can tear up my enemies with my spikes and spit/bite them as well as attacking them with weapons?
also can i kill someone with poison/venom build up by spitting/biting them 10 times means 10 doses

You don't strike me as a very social person.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: