Mythruna
April 27, 2024, 08:44:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Final stage of computer upgrading  (Read 16494 times)
Stickman Sham

"I did it! I took the boots!"

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »

Now that the motherboard and cpu is all in, I can turn on the computer and see the BIOS screen, but when I get past the motherboard launch, I get to the "windows did not start up properly" and all of the options lead to a blue screen quickly flash and restart. I have a good idea of what it says, something about installed software. Help?

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 04:33:37 PM »

I am taking a guess that the installation of windows jacked up, or missing some crucial files.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:10:34 PM »

I've seen this happen before, but only because it was a voltage problem.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »

If I flick the voltage switch to the left, it brings me to "Reboot and select proper boot device or install boot media" screen, the same screen that comes up if I unplug the motherboard to HDD red cord, so I infer that the board detects Windows and doesn't have a voltage problem... but I could be wrong about the voltage problem. The board requires like, a 400 watt power supply and the card requires a 300. I have 400 watt power supply, in which I am SUPER lucky for deciding to go with 100 extra watts; but then what is my problem?

“It’s like, ‘hell yeah, I’m all stoked for this lasagna,’ and then you nuke it and the cheese gets all scabby on top and it’s like eating a scab, you know?” - Jesse Pinkman
Sean
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »

Did this happen after installing Windows or are you trying to boot up an old Windows installation?

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:03:53 PM »

lol. Silly question, but is a flashdrive plugged into the computer?

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »

1. This is the same version of windows that my computer has run on before the update - Windows XP, and I didn't upgrade to any extent.

2. There is no flash drive in

Overall, I only have the VGA cord plugged into the video card, the keyboard and the power cord with no flash drives in, and if I am not mistaken, Windows XP is on the hard drive. I am going to try taking out the video card and using the onboard card, then I'll post my results.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:20:06 PM by Stickman Sham » Logged

Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 08:11:04 PM »

Same results, so its not a video card problem, the cpu isn't the problem, and all of the hardware/software worked previous to the upgrade... Art thou any alternative problems?

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 08:44:45 PM »

Something got fried? I doubt it but idk this world anymore, the most unreasonable stuff works and makes sense etc.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 09:16:41 PM »

If the old version Windows XP had motherboard drivers installed (common) then it may be failing to run on the new motherboard.  A windows reinstall may be in order.

Personally, I'd never expect a particular Windows configuration to survive a motherboard upgrade.

P.S.: One thing I've done in the past is film the startup sequence with my phone camera so that I can pause it and see what the flashing screens say.
Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 05:47:13 AM »

If the old version Windows XP had motherboard drivers installed (common) then it may be failing to run on the new motherboard.  A windows reinstall may be in order.

Personally, I'd never expect a particular Windows configuration to survive a motherboard upgrade.
Well that's crap.
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 08:31:44 PM »

I am going to reinstall windows XP then... Or get Vista or 2000. Which ever one out of the 3 that would be best. I am going to torrent the install to a disk, or just blatantly find a non torrent down load. (Search: windows xp download -torrent)

Michael
Donators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »

I am going to reinstall windows XP then... Or get Vista or 2000. Which ever one out of the 3 that would be best. I am going to torrent the install to a disk, or just blatantly find a non torrent down load. (Search: windows xp download -torrent)

Erm.. get win7, it's better. And just to tell you don't go around telling people you are going to torrent stuff, the NSA will be all over you xD
Stickman Sham

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 02:41:09 PM »

ew... windows 7

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »

ew... windows 7

Yeah, it sucks... I scream at its file explorer every day.  Stupid in a 100 ways.

But XP is already end-of-lifed... so it's days are numbered.  Win8 and Windows Vista are the abominations.  Hopefully we'll be running Linux and/or Steam boxes by the time we're forced to move to something after win7. Wink
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: