Mythruna
April 28, 2024, 05:27:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new forums. See "Announcements" for a note for new users.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will being part of npc society be similar to the sims?  (Read 5364 times)
ebag51
Donators

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2013, 08:17:34 PM »

once a player has embedded themselves in npc society will they be able to have relations with their coworkers (ex: fellow black smith guild members who are npcs) friends (ex: npcs you follow around and hang out with till they like you) and just about every npc they meet and do social activites with them? (ex: checkers chess back gammon and other kind of board game maybe sports too all paul's call on social activities)

p.s. if npc relations work similar to the sims i think it will greatly increase how much players care about the npc they hang out with
ex: they will actually care when an npc they have a good relation with dies

pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »

I don't really know yet.  I have a lot of plans but I don't know what's feasible yet.

NPCs will remember who you are to a certain limit... ie: if they see you once and then meet 100 more people then they may not remember you but if they see you every day or see people rarely then they will.  Part of that is realism, part of that is resource management.  Otherwise, on a multiplayer server every NPC in spawn town will be carrying so much data around that I wouldn't be able to store it.

Other than keeping track of some "impression" scores and using them to influence encounters, I don't know how deep I'll be able to make things.  Lots of plans, no prototypes.
Moonkey

This is probably a picture.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:52:19 PM »

I don't really know yet.  I have a lot of plans but I don't know what's feasible yet.

NPCs will remember who you are to a certain limit... ie: if they see you once and then meet 100 more people then they may not remember you but if they see you every day or see people rarely then they will.  Part of that is realism, part of that is resource management.  Otherwise, on a multiplayer server every NPC in spawn town will be carrying so much data around that I wouldn't be able to store it.

Other than keeping track of some "impression" scores and using them to influence encounters, I don't know how deep I'll be able to make things.  Lots of plans, no prototypes.
Ah, I see. So they will possibly forget people who don't really influence them at all. Like people who join a server and talk to one NPC then leave after talking. That NPC will forget completely about him. I'd imagine it really sad if you like a certain NPC and do business with it and that he kinda just... dies. I would be sad.

Mythruna: Don't you dare read any posts I made before 2014.
pspeed
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 11:36:29 PM »

Ah, I see. So they will possibly forget people who don't really influence them at all. Like people who join a server and talk to one NPC then leave after talking. That NPC will forget completely about him.

Yep.  Just like in real life.  I doubt the clerk at the store you visited that one time really remembers you or would recognize you if they saw you again... unless you really made an impression.

The relationship tracking will have a few attributes associated with it... but somehow an overall impression is calculated.  If it's completely neutral then time will wipe it away.  If it's bad or good then they might be more likely to remember you.  And so on.

I'd imagine it really sad if you like a certain NPC and do business with it and that he kinda just... dies. I would be sad.

Yeah.  I'd really like to have this sort of thing.  If can implement some kind of a gossip system then it might be possible you hear about it a few towns over before you actually get a chance to go back.  It would be cool if I can get to the point where there are funerals and stuff.

This stuff is so far off, it makes it hard to focus. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: